• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Mike Scioscia Manager Status Update Thread

tennischmp

They're both going to get one more year, in Sciosica's case he had $6M in Salary for 2016, 2017, and 2018. He has five more years of guaranteed salary. He's going to stay, or perhaps transition into a front office role after next year, if DiPoto gets canned after 2014.

DiPoto is under contract through 2014. He gets one more shot. While the team has won 89 and then only 78 games in his two seasons as GM, his decisions have been mixed. Firing Mickey Hatcher was the right call and that's now been over a year and a half ago. 

IF Moreno wanted Pujols and Hamilton, he gets a pass on that. Wells wasn't DiPoto's fault or decision. Getting The Yankees to pick up some of the contract was a good call.

DiPoto made good moves in 2011-12 offseason by getting CJ Wilson & Chris Iannetta. Morales for Vargas was good value. The Greinke trade was short sighted, as the team needed a starter, but perhaps didn't have to give up the last two legit pitching prospects in the majors along with a good candidate for infield in Segura for two months. If the rules had not changed and the Angels were able to get a first round pick in compensation for Greinke leaving, that would've been great.

Blanton was a horrible decision. Santana should've been kept and approached about a 3 year deal. He'd have likely taken it. They are similar pitchers except Santana has better stuff. Neither had a good year in 2012.

Hanson was a risk, but you have to make those sometimes.

Green for Callaspo was a good trade. Frieri for Amezaga was a good trade.

Now he needs to make another good trade in the offseason.

The Starting Pitching depth may need to be improved, but honestly, the offense needs help too. Grant Green hit .280. Calhoun hit .282. Shuck hit .293. Kendrick hit .297. And of course Trout hit .323.

The next highest regulars are Aybar at .271 Pujols at .258, Callaspo at .252, Hamilton at .250, and Trumbo at .234, followed by Iannetta at .224.

No one was hitting.

The Angels need Pujols & Hamilton to perform at some semblance of their All-Star years prior to joining the Angels. They need to get good value from Trumbo and Kendrick if they are moved. They need to get some offense out of third and Catcher. Aybar needs to hit like he did in 2012.

With a healthy productive lineup, this team as is could score 800 runs. And even with the pitching they have now, they would be a playoff team had they done that.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Dipoto

On October 28, 2011, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced Dipoto would be their next general manager, replacing Tony Reagins.[3] After a horrible 2013 season with a substantial increase in payroll under his watch, it is likely that he will be replaced during the off season.[4]

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Dipoto

On October 28, 2011, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced Dipoto would be their next general manager, replacing Tony Reagins.[3] After a horrible 2013 season with a substantial increase in payroll under his watch, it is likely that he will be replaced during the off season.[4]

AO found out how to edit wikipedia articles.

It's actually not too hard to edit them.   Any one can, which is why I've learned to only trust those entries to a point.

Seriosly though, maybe Dipoto's off-season performance a year ago would have been significantly better if Moreno didn't force Hamilton down his throat (literally).

After all that's been said and done, the one move that was really bad was obviously Blanton.   He could have waited until January/February to see how the pitching market was shaking out. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I was hoping at least for a pitching coach change.

I don't trust Butcher!

I sure hope Hubs may be right, in that Scioscia has only one more year to right the ship on his end.

Dipoto should get at least as much time as the incompetent Reagins got (4 years).

Edited by Angel Oracle

If Scioscia stays, we will see the same shit next year.

Not me. I will be back when Scioscia is gone, but I wont invest as long as he is here.

It will be my first hiatus after nearly 50 years, but I wont be the only long term fan bailing out if Scioscia is allowed to continue piloting this zeppelin.