• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This news on Hamilton gives me some hope

stevestevens

Well, you can't put on 20 lbs of muscle in an offseason without the sauce, so I'm not sure what the point of getting fatter is.  But if being heavier is a placebo to give him some sort of mental edge then so be it.

One possibility is that there is a natural tendency for most players to lose weight during the season. If a player's weight is already lower than he is used to going into the season, that process may sap energy as the season wears on.

As much as this season has sucked for him, and there was no reason to expect it, the first place to look is things that he did differently in preparing for the season. Sounds like that is what he is doing.

In before someone (probably YouthForToday) says, "So he's going back on roids?"

Nah, I'm not a member of the always blame roids brigade.

I agree this is good news. Also means he cares. Something that wasn't always clearly evident earlier this year. Seeing Josh up close a few weeks ago -- he does care and wants to turn it around next year.

I expect a vigorous rebound next year.

Nah, I'm not a member of the always blame roids brigade.

I agree this is good news. Also means he cares. Something that wasn't always clearly evident earlier this year. Seeing Josh up close a few weeks ago -- he does care and wants to turn it around next year.

I expect a vigorous rebound next year.

That's the spirit.

Seriously, this is unlike you. Are you drunk?

I was against signing him. Was never real excited, and am not a huge fan of the guy. (Not that I dislike him, he's just never been one of my faves).

That said, I think he's gonna be fine last year. Nothing to back it up with, I just have a gut feeling. I think this year was all between the ears with him.

Fingers crossed.

So - Hamilton is going to be heavier great.   This part of the article is the real issue.

"The Collective Balance Tax threshold will increase from $178 million to $189 million in 2014, buying the Angels a little extra wiggle room. But since the CBT payroll is calculated based on the average annual value of contracts for every player on the 40-man roster -- plus benefits -- they'll enter the offseason dangerously close to that figure, particularly because of the back-loaded nature of deals for Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.

So close, in fact, that they probably won't offer Vargas the qualifying offer to receive Draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere -- a figure that's close to $14 million for 2014 -- because they'd basically already be over-budget if he accepts it."

Sigh.....  So Dipoto drones on about the need to add cost controlled pitching and organizational pitching but the team may not make a qualifying offer that might actually help them work towards doing just that because it might push them over the luxury tax...  Hey Arte, raise the price of beer to help offset the costs of going over the cap - or better yet, let your BB people run the off-seasons from here on out..   

Edited by Inside Pitch

.So close, in fact, that they probably won't offer Vargas the qualifying offer to receive Draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere -- a figure that's close to $14 million for 2014 -- because they'd basically already be over-budget if he accepts it."

Sigh.....  So Dipoto drones on about the need to add cost controlled pitching and organizational pitching but the team may not make a qualifying offer that might actually help them work towards doing just that because it might push them over the luxury tax...  Hey Arte, raise the price of beer to help offset the costs of going over the cap - or better yet, let your BB people run the off-seasons from here on out..   

Thought the same thing....the easiest first step to fix the pitching is to re-sign Vargas, even if you have to overpay for 2014 to get it done...Would rather overpay Vargas than have Jerry "shopping for bargains" like he did last year....that didn't work out real well.....

Arte is going have to accept that if he wants a team that will make it to the playoffs, he is going to have to pay the luxury tax.  Plain and simple.

The Angels can't continue to go down the path of not making the playoffs and shrinking attendance numbers.  Eventually, that will lead to costing the team more than the luxury tax will.