• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Scioscia: 'I'm committed to being here'

AngelsWin.com

Look at the changes that Clint Hurdle made to Pittsburgh to help make them competitive.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4689239-74/pirates-defensive-season#axzz2fureR4BH

I am not saying Scioscia needs to make *those* changes.  But can any of us even imagine Mike Scioscia embracing any kind of new philosophy or technology to improve any aspect of the team?  Besides CERA?

He's just a tired, same old same old manager.

Storm you need to prepare yourself for the inevitable. He won't be managing the Angels next year. Right or wrong I'm pretty sure he's gone.

Oh, I believe there is a strong possibility he won't be managing the team next year.  In fact, there would be no doubt in my mind if he didn't have 27 million left on his contract.  If he isn't fired, it is simply because of that.

That said, I still think it would be a bad idea.  Those who hate have no understanding of a long term vision and demand results every year.  As you mentioned it doesn't work that way in sports.  I believe firing Scioscia very well could lead into bringing in a truley "bad" manager and make matters worse.  Like I have said about Stoneman.  I wanted him gone.  I got what I wanted and ended up getting Reagins and now Dipoto.  I sure regret wanting Stoneman gone!

2010 also fits what happened this season.   Two solid seasons out of four is an improvement from the 1990s, BUT given the high payroll it still isn't acceptable.

the high payroll does not guarantee success and is not an indication of the quality of the team.  The high payroll indicates bad contracts given out.  A lot of the payroll has been given to players who aren't even on the team.

2010:  15 million went to GMJ and another 10 million I believe went to Kazmire

2011:  Still had Kaz, and Spiere on contract.  If not mistaken, I think we still had GMJ on contract as well.  We also had Wells and his 20+ contract.  Yes he was on the team, but as badly as he played, he might as well not have been.

2012:  See Wells

2013:  See Wells

2014:  Hell we still have F'n Wells on contract!

Terry Francona had 8 seasons with the Red Sox, zero losing seasons, 2 world series titles.  And the Red Sox Canned him faster than Charlie Tuna.  

It's not about what you did, it's about what you are doing.  

He was also on his last year of his contract.  Thus there will be no 20+ million buy out.

Also, they ended up getting Bobby Valentine!  How did that work out for them?

The thing I have been noticing is a real lack of substantive commentary from Jerry Dipoto lately. It really feels like a decision has been made to either a) Keep both Dipoto and Scioscia or b ) Fire Dipoto only.

I really feel Dipoto should be given another chance so if that means sticking with Scioscia again so be it. Not my favorite option but alas it is not my decision.

Edited by ettin

Terry Francona had 8 seasons with the Red Sox, zero losing seasons, 2 world series titles.  And the Red Sox Canned him faster than Charlie Tuna.  

It's not about what you did, it's about what you are doing.  

And then there's Charlie Manuel, who got pretty unceremoniously kicked to the curb by the Phillies.

Keeping Scioscia and firing Dipoto is something only a man who signed the worst contract in professional sports history would think is a good idea.

I have absolutely zero faith in Arte's decision making skills at this point, sadly.

Edited by jshep

I opened this thread hoping to see a picture of sosh with a new angels tat on his forehead.

I can't really blame hi m for this season. Hamilton and pujols didn't perform. Hanson has been horrible, and blanton was horrible plus diarrhea. Add to thay injuries to key players, and any team would struggle.

That said, its definetely time for a change. I don't think most of the players like playing for him (though to ne fair, past players did). The last month or so has been refreshing, but I doubt that's because of sosh motivating them. Its simply because they finally started getting decent pitching.

Francona would have been nice, but that ship has sailed. Whos out there to replace him? No idea. I wonder if someone like percy or erstad would come out and do it, nut that's just the fan in me. I know erstad is coaching but don't know if he's ready for mlb, and last I heard percybwas coaching high school. Not saying they couldn't, just don't thinl its realistic.

Ron washington might be available this winter. Maybe after signing ex ranger who were good, we take the one no ome wants and get suprisingly better results.