• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Scioscia: 'I'm committed to being here'

AngelsWin.com

MS deserves just as much, and as little blame as anyone else in this organization. From top to bottom, you can't point at a single person without assigning blame. Should he be replaced in 2014? I think so. I'm typically defensive of him for his in-game decisions because pretty much all of them could have worked out had the player executed as expected. He absolutely makes bad decisions and has absolutely cost the team wins because of them, but does anyone here honestly believe a new manager wouldn't cost the team wins with on-field decisions? That would be miraculous, hell, maybe even impossible. His lineups are often questionable, but really, a new manager will not be any different. The effect on the field may be a positive one, but ultimately people will bitch and moan about him and want him fired after a streak of particularly bad decisions.

I think Mike should be replaced because it's time for a new face in the dugout. Hell I think the entire coaching staff needs to be replaced. Is this because the coaching is to blame for the team's record? Of course not, but you can't just release and trade every underperforming player. You have to work with what you have and sometimes you have to find a manager who is better suited to doing just that. To me, it seems like this current team just doesn't respond to Mike's style of play, hence the stupidity on the basepaths and in the batter's box.

It's a lot easier to find one guy to fit the style of an entire team than an entire team to fit the style of one guy.

This is why Mike needs to be replaced. Not because he makes dumb decisions with the bullpen (all managers will do this), or because he fills out silly lineup cards (all managers will do this). The Angels need a leader they can respond to and feed off of (lol fat jokes). Someone to help get them motivated and in mid-season form before the season starts. 

They also need some god damn pitching because holy god this staff is horrible.

Stop this you have been making too much sense lately.

I'm not of the belief that Scioscia is a totally worthless manager that won't potentially find success elsewhere. Nor do I think he's THE problem(like tdawg said, everyone, except Salty Nuts guy, has a piece of the blame here. Some more than most, but there's no THE problem).

That said, I am of the opinion that Scioscia's time here should be coming to a close for the sake of a shake-up/house cleaning/new face in the dugout/whatever you want to call it if nothing else.

I've also never been particularly fond of many of his managerial on-field tendencies, and they're starting to wear on me even more than usual.

So while like I said, I think he'll have another job somewhere else no problem and could very likely find success, I wouldn't lament his departure one bit.

Edited by jshep

With everything that went wrong this season I'm not sure that anyone could've successfully managed this team. I won't apologize for Scioscia because I didn't like his lackluster spring training approach which unfortunately carried over into the regular season.

Is it really Scioscia or has he just been snakebit by a bunch of injuries and underperforming players the last four seasons. He and Dipoto might just get a redo.

YoT, why do you even like the team? I'm not being a dick, I'm just asking. You seem to find the negative in every aspect.

If negative is realistic so be it. I've followed the team for 25 years. The moment I don't instinctively root for the Angels at a ballpark or on TV is when I stop being a fan. Not even the incredible incompetence of ownership or management has driven me to this point yet.

If negative is realistic so be it. I've followed the team for 25 years. The moment I don't instinctively root for the Angels at a ballpark or on TV is when I stop being a fan. Not even the incredible incompetence of ownership or management has driven me to this point yet.

Ok fair enough. If you're like this now, what were you like in the 90's? At least this team has been competitive outside of this year.

It's true that this team sucks but I believe Scioscia sucks as a manager as well. I guess the whole fire Scioscia debate is a non-issue, though.  This team is contractually bound to miss the playoffs for at least 4 more years so it doesn't matter if the manager is incompetent or not.

thirteen years as a manager and only three with a losing season.  Yea, your right, he sucks!

That's like getting upset at Howie for not being a batting champion. Expensive teams don't always win. The team is not just suffering from all the injuries or because of free agents that aren't panning out. They are also suffering from their past success and lower draft picks and no draft picks. And Nate you read these posts, when was the last time this season we had high expectations? Yet we still get these posts...

Storm, it's more about having a new voice. Can you imagine any other situation where you were used to be great but have failed 4 straight years now and the boss isn't fired? 

I'm not saying it's entirely Scioscia's fault but I believe this team needs some new blood. 

See Atlanta Braves and Bobby Cox!

However, I do agree there maybe some merit of bringing a new voice. I would be supportive of that if I felt the team was good and just playing bad.  However, over the last four years I believe three of them the team was poorly constructed and not any good.  Therefore bringing in a new voice in my mind won't help.

this type of argument is so very very tired.  Linking what happens on the field directly to the manager is always a grey area. One can always argue that "it was the player who did x, or failed to do y, or the manager can't help who his personnel is".  This list of possible excuses is endless.

I don't think people in the Fire Scioscia camp (at the very least I can speak for myself) are arguing that it's entirely or even mostly Mike Scioscia's fault that the Angels have missed the playoffs each of the past 4 seasons.  What I would argue is that there is something seriously broken internally with this team, and that new leadership is required.  There are absolutely personnel problems that have nothing to do with Scioscia, but overall when I watch this team (and I watch them just about every night) I see 25 guys doing their own thing, not focused on every pitch.  I see guys not remembering how many outs there are in an inning, I see hitters with no gameplan up at the plate, I see the pitchers and catchers not able to get on the same page, I see a team-wide lack of fundamentals, and a general sense of malaise.  To me, those things all fall under the purview of the manager, and point to a disconnect between the manager/coaches and the players.  I don't doubt that Mike Scioscia can still be a great manager or that he's putting everything he has into righting the ship here - I just think the relationship clearly isn't working any longer, and it's time for a change.

Let me ask you this - pretty much every other team in MLB has made a managerial change in the last 10 years, as a result of poor on-field results and a desire to change the message to the players and get better.  You think all those teams are foolish and it's the Angels (the same team that traded for Wells, signed Pujols to 10 years, Hamilton to 5, and so on) that are the smart ones? that they see/know something that other organizations don't?

Those teams have not fired "the most successful manager" in the franchise history.  You have to remember we are the angels with little history of success....excluding the last thirteen years!

Be careful what you ask for.  I wanted Stoneman out because I thought he was an idiot letting certain players walk without getting a compensation pick.  We ended up with Reagins and things got worse.