• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Scioscia: 'I'm committed to being here'

AngelsWin.com

Of Course this is all Scioscia's fault.  Any decent manager who had the great pitchers of Hanson and Blanton not lead this team to the playoffs!

As for 2010?  We had great Tori Hunter, Bobby Abreu and Juan Rivera as the middle of our order lineup.  Hell the opposing pitchers had the crap their pants thinking they had to face those power hitters

As for 2011?  Of course the powerful offensive juggernaut of rookie Mark Trumbo being the best offensive threat on the team should have made the playoffs.  Hell, Bourjos was the fourth best offensive player.  You guys remember those two....you know the guys so many want to trade those great players today.

2012???Well I make no excuses!  Sosh did a poor job managing in April that year.

Storm, it's more about having a new voice. Can you imagine any other situation where you were used to be great but have failed 4 straight years now and the boss isn't fired? 

I'm not saying it's entirely Scioscia's fault but I believe this team needs some new blood. 

Of Course this is all Scioscia's fault.  Any decent manager who had the great pitchers of Hanson and Blanton not lead this team to the playoffs!

As for 2010?  We had great Tori Hunter, Bobby Abreu and Juan Rivera as the middle of our order lineup.  Hell the opposing pitchers had the crap their pants thinking they had to face those power hitters

As for 2011?  Of course the powerful offensive juggernaut of rookie Mark Trumbo being the best offensive threat on the team should have made the playoffs.  Hell, Bourjos was the fourth best offensive player.  You guys remember those two....you know the guys so many want to trade those great players today.

2012???Well I make no excuses!  Sosh did a poor job managing in April that year.

this type of argument is so very very tired.  Linking what happens on the field directly to the manager is always a grey area. One can always argue that "it was the player who did x, or failed to do y, or the manager can't help who his personnel is".  This list of possible excuses is endless.

I don't think people in the Fire Scioscia camp (at the very least I can speak for myself) are arguing that it's entirely or even mostly Mike Scioscia's fault that the Angels have missed the playoffs each of the past 4 seasons.  What I would argue is that there is something seriously broken internally with this team, and that new leadership is required.  There are absolutely personnel problems that have nothing to do with Scioscia, but overall when I watch this team (and I watch them just about every night) I see 25 guys doing their own thing, not focused on every pitch.  I see guys not remembering how many outs there are in an inning, I see hitters with no gameplan up at the plate, I see the pitchers and catchers not able to get on the same page, I see a team-wide lack of fundamentals, and a general sense of malaise.  To me, those things all fall under the purview of the manager, and point to a disconnect between the manager/coaches and the players.  I don't doubt that Mike Scioscia can still be a great manager or that he's putting everything he has into righting the ship here - I just think the relationship clearly isn't working any longer, and it's time for a change.

Let me ask you this - pretty much every other team in MLB has made a managerial change in the last 10 years, as a result of poor on-field results and a desire to change the message to the players and get better.  You think all those teams are foolish and it's the Angels (the same team that traded for Wells, signed Pujols to 10 years, Hamilton to 5, and so on) that are the smart ones? that they see/know something that other organizations don't?

For those that argue MS had a crap staff to deal with and his rotation wasn't his fault... who decided to keep Blanton in the rotation over Williams who had been one of the top 5 pitchers in the A.L. at that point? Scioscia

Who decided to drop Richard to the bullpen, then start him, then drop him to the bullpen, then start him? All while Hanson was pitching like crap.

Some of that blame lies with DiPoto for signing Blanton and trading for Hanson in the first place. Of course. But at the same time, Scioscia kept screwing around with the rotation and putting guys in there that sucked over guys that were getting results. 

Some will say that Scioscia deserves credit for the way they have played the past couple months. And while that is true, it shows exactly why he is a better manager with scrubs and "grit" guys than he is with All-stars and power hitters. He's been successful with Schuck, Green, Cowgill, Nelson, Romine in the lineup because he can manage them the way he knows how to manage a team. He can't do that with Pujols and Hamilton in the lineup. Proven again by how little Trout ran and how he continues to fail to put Trout in a position where the opposing team is more likely to pitch to him.

Scioscia is stubborn. He can't manage this team as constructed. Until he leaves, either the players (Pujols, Hamilton) need to be traded for pitching and replaced with grit guys like mentioned above, or Scioscia needs to go.

Quite frankly, it's easier to let Scioscia go at this point than it is to dump Pujols and Hamilton

Scioscia will probably be here until the end of September, 2018.

Thousands of bunts, contact plays, and productive outs still to come for Angels fans.

Playoffs? That's another story.

I'm willing to bet you whatever you would like to wager that Mike will not be the field manager of this team by the end of his contract.

this type of argument is so very very tired. Linking what happens on the field directly to the manager is always a grey area. One can always argue that "it was the player who did x, or failed to do y, or the manager can't help who his personnel is". This list of possible excuses is endless.

I don't think people in the Fire Scioscia camp (at the very least I can speak for myself) are arguing that it's entirely or even mostly Mike Scioscia's fault that the Angels have missed the playoffs each of the past 4 seasons. What I would argue is that there is something seriously broken internally with this team, and that new leadership is required. There are absolutely personnel problems that have nothing to do with Scioscia, but overall when I watch this team (and I watch them just about every night) I see 25 guys doing their own thing, not focused on every pitch. I see guys not remembering how many outs there are in an inning, I see hitters with no gameplan up at the plate, I see the pitchers and catchers not able to get on the same page, I see a team-wide lack of fundamentals, and a general sense of malaise. To me, those things all fall under the purview of the manager, and point to a disconnect between the manager/coaches and the players. I don't doubt that Mike Scioscia can still be a great manager or that he's putting everything he has into righting the ship here - I just think the relationship clearly isn't working any longer, and it's time for a change.

Let me ask you this - pretty much every other team in MLB has made a managerial change in the last 10 years, as a result of poor on-field results and a desire to change the message to the players and get better. You think all those teams are foolish and it's the Angels (the same team that traded for Wells, signed Pujols to 10 years, Hamilton to 5, and so on) that are the smart ones? that they see/know something that other organizations don't?

I'm also in the camp that this team needs a new manager. That being said, you are absolutely wrong when you say that the "fire Scioscia" camp that is on here don't blame him. Maybe they don't give him 100% of the blame, but they speak of him as if he is the number one reason why the Angels have failed. That is absolutely not the case. I am of the belief that a great manager might when you 3 games a year. I believe a lousy manager might cost you 3 games a year. So if we replace Mike with the best manager in the league whoever that might be we might see a few game spike, but we still aren't a playoff team this year. Then again, with the bullpen we had the last two years, the best manager of all time doesn't really get this team to the playoffs.

It really doesn't matter who/what is responsible for failure, the manager is accountable for team performance.  Scioscia rattling off a long list of injuries/problems to MLB.com is frankly lame and doesn't excuse his team's performance.  Different teams have struggled the last several years under Scioscia, of late stumbling badly out of the gate.  Fresh approach, strategies, and leadership is overdue and these ingredients, in the right proportions will account for a hell of a lot more than plus/minus 3 games. 

Time to turn the page on Mr. turn the page.

Edited by 70runner

MS deserves just as much, and as little blame as anyone else in this organization. From top to bottom, you can't point at a single person without assigning blame. Should he be replaced in 2014? I think so. I'm typically defensive of him for his in-game decisions because pretty much all of them could have worked out had the player executed as expected. He absolutely makes bad decisions and has absolutely cost the team wins because of them, but does anyone here honestly believe a new manager wouldn't cost the team wins with on-field decisions? That would be miraculous, hell, maybe even impossible. His lineups are often questionable, but really, a new manager will not be any different. The effect on the field may be a positive one, but ultimately people will bitch and moan about him and want him fired after a streak of particularly bad decisions.

I think Mike should be replaced because it's time for a new face in the dugout. Hell I think the entire coaching staff needs to be replaced. Is this because the coaching is to blame for the team's record? Of course not, but you can't just release and trade every underperforming player. You have to work with what you have and sometimes you have to find a manager who is better suited to doing just that. To me, it seems like this current team just doesn't respond to Mike's style of play, hence the stupidity on the basepaths and in the batter's box.

It's a lot easier to find one guy to fit the style of an entire team than an entire team to fit the style of one guy.

This is why Mike needs to be replaced. Not because he makes dumb decisions with the bullpen (all managers will do this), or because he fills out silly lineup cards (all managers will do this). The Angels need a leader they can respond to and feed off of (lol fat jokes). Someone to help get them motivated and in mid-season form before the season starts. 

They also need some god damn pitching because holy god this staff is horrible.

Edited by tdawg87

I think he should stay.  

But am concerned when I hear things in the rumor mill that Trout doesn't like to play for him.  Is the rumor true?  Only the players know.  But usually where there is smoke, there is fire.  It might not be 100% true, but when you are dealing with a guy like Trout.  You may not want to take any chances.  That should be the biggest reason as to why he should be let go.  

MS deserves just as much, and as little blame as anyone else in this organization. From top to bottom, you can't point at a single person without assigning blame. Should he be replaced in 2014? I think so. I'm typically defensive of him for his in-game decisions because pretty much all of them could have worked out had the player executed as expected. He absolutely makes bad decisions and has absolutely cost the team wins because of them, but does anyone here honestly believe a new manager wouldn't cost the team wins with on-field decisions? That would be miraculous, hell, maybe even impossible. His lineups are often questionable, but really, a new manager will not be any different. The effect on the field may be a positive one, but ultimately people will bitch and moan about him and want him fired after a streak of particularly bad decisions.

I think Mike should be replaced because it's time for a new face in the dugout. Hell I think the entire coaching staff needs to be replaced. Is this because the coaching is to blame for the team's record? Of course not, but you can't just release and trade every underperforming player. You have to work with what you have and sometimes you have to find a manager who is better suited to doing just that. To me, it seems like this current team just doesn't respond to Mike's style of play, hence the stupidity on the basepaths and in the batter's box.

It's a lot easier to find one guy to fit the style of an entire team than an entire team to fit the style of one guy.

This is why Mike needs to be replaced. Not because he makes dumb decisions with the bullpen (all managers will do this), or because he fills out silly lineup cards (all managers will do this). The Angels need a leader they can respond to and feed off of (lol fat jokes). Someone to help get them motivated and in mid-season form before the season starts.

They also need some god damn pitching because holy god this staff is horrible.

Pretty much how I feel.

Do people really think that Arte won't explore all options to replace Mike this off season? I think he is as good as gone. He won't be fired, but he won't be managing this team on the field either. I guess I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that the Angels made calls this year trying to gauge interest in his position. I think the only reason he wasn't replaced is Arte figures he can save himself some money one way or another this off season figuring out how to either buy him out or promote him to a position he won't really care for. I guess we will see. If Dipoto stays then I have a feeling the next manager will be a local guy, with ties to Orange County.