• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NFL rules against Throwbacks

Chimi

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/nfl-safety-committees-told-teams-not-to-wear-throwback-helmets/

Being a Cowboys fan, this really sucks for me. One of the games I look forward to the most is the Thanksgiving Day game and seeing the Cowboys wear their Thanksgiving Throwbacks. I think it's one of the best looking Throwbacks in the NFL and its something special seeing them once a year. Now, looks like that tradition might be gone. I don't know why teams would wear their current helmets with throwback jerseys so I can just see them stopping it completely.

Edited by Chimi

It's not that teams don't want to spend the money. The players all have personally adjusted helmets that they have tweaked since the beginning of training camp to fit them perfectly. The NFL doesn't want players to stop using those helmets for ones that haven't had months worth of adjustments and tweaks.

i can't imagine their bottom line is so tight that nfl teams can't afford to purchase a modern helmet with throwback colors/decorations.

but then again, i'm not a financial genius.

They could do a good PR thing by making a throwback modern helmet to use just for that game. Afterwards, have the player autograph the helmet, and auction it off for charity, with the money going towards research of head injuries an concussions.

The NFL is such a joke. Not even my usual rules complaint. They have had the technology to improve helmet safety for a few years now but haven't

That is completely false.  The biggest problem with head injuries in football has nothing to do with helmets.  It has to do with inertia.  Regardless of how much padding there is, your head coming to an abrupt stop causes your brain to rattle around in your head, bruising itself against the skull.

There are tons of different kinds of helmets that have been tested in labs over the last five years but none have showed any marked improvement.

That is completely false.  The biggest problem with head injuries in football has nothing to do with helmets.  It has to do with inertia.  Regardless of how much padding there is, your head coming to an abrupt stop causes your brain to rattle around in your head, bruising itself against the skull.

There are tons of different kinds of helmets that have been tested in labs over the last five years but none have showed any marked improvement.

I remember an experiment with one that had padding on the outside as well as the inside. Looked very strange, no more effective than the regular helmet.

That is completely false. The biggest problem with head injuries in football has nothing to do with helmets. It has to do with inertia. Regardless of how much padding there is, your head coming to an abrupt stop causes your brain to rattle around in your head, bruising itself against the skull.

What does your first paragraph have to do with what I posted? I didn't say there were concussion proof helmets or try to dismantle science.

And yes, there have been innovations that help reduce head injuries. They will never be eradicated, but people have brought ideas and innovations to the table.

What does your first paragraph have to do with what I posted? I didn't say there were concussion proof helmets or try to dismantle science.

And yes, there have been innovations that help reduce head injuries. They will never be eradicated, but people have brought ideas and innovations to the table.

You are wrong.  There have been several companies that have claimed to have helmet technology that reduces head injuries but all of them have been proved to be no better than what exists now.

That is the exact reason why the focus has been on avoiding dangerous hits.

You are wrong.  There have been several companies that have claimed to have helmet technology that reduces head injuries but all of them have been proved to be no better than what exists now.

That is the exact reason why the focus has been on avoiding dangerous hits.

Go retro and put the players back in leather helmets. The players themselves will no doubt avoid the dangerous hits.