• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Officially concerned about Tommy Hanson

jshep

That's why I already edited it. We're talking about a loss of velocity so far in ST. It's pretty stupid to compare that loss to his peak 2 seasons ago rather than the last two seasons when it was already down. But then I think you get that are just being obstinate.

We weren't toast until the third to the last game of the season with a terrible Santana, way below average Haren and whatever from Richards/Williams. Oh yeah and an unspectacular C.J. Wilson in the 2nd half. 

Exactly why I'm not worried about things now. Some guys will be better than expected, some will be worse, and if we're in contention at the trade deadline (and I have no reason to believe that we won't be), the FO will make a move or two to improve our chances.

That's why I already edited it. We're talking about a loss of velocity so far in ST. It's pretty stupid to compare that loss to his peak 2 seasons ago rather than the last two seasons when it was already down. But then I think you get that are just being obstinate.

If we are trying to get the Tommy Hanson of 2012 then we're doing it wrong.

I'm not very optimistic about him to be honest. His shoulder had some really bad reports last year. I'm just hoping he'll give 160 innings of low 4 ERA. 

Ya, I've had those same concerns since the beginning: He's a guy who throws a lot of sliders and missed a good chunk of time with a rotator cuff issue in 2011. At which point he and the Braves started messing around with his mechanics to try to save his back and shoulder, which was followed by his bad 2012 that included back issues. All before his age 26 season.

Hopefully he shows us something to indicate pre-2012 Hanson still exists, though. Having a hard time being optimistic about that though.

The Braves actually might have made a decent trade looking back on it. They traded for a reliever who struck out well over a batter per inning last year, and only gave up a pitcher who had a WHIP over 1.4, and has serious arm concerns

Edit: Not saying Walden is good at all. Just saying that he has upside judging by his K rates.

Both guys have their issues. Walden is dealing with some back problem already this spring and might be in danger of starting the year on the DL. He's had his issues with elbow problems to in the past

The reason why ATL did the deal is because they have a ton of SP depth and Walden is cheaper. Pretty even trade

The Braves actually might have made a decent trade looking back on it. They traded for a reliever who struck out well over a batter per inning last year, and only gave up a pitcher who had a WHIP over 1.4, and has serious arm concerns

Edit: Not saying Walden is good at all. Just saying that he has upside judging by his K rates.

Given that Walden now has a bulging disc in his back, I'd say we got the better of the trade.  Relievers are easier to get than starters.

Hanson's issue isn't his velocity, it's his command. He's leaving pitches up in the zone. Weaver FB works in the 88-91 range too.

When Tommy first came up he was hitting 89-94 mph, but mostly working in the 89-91 range throughout his starts.