• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson on Calhoun

nate

I guess by "on paper" CJ just means stature wise and not statistics wise. Kole Calhoun is a solid ball player, statistically. And for me he is exactly what this team needs as far as OBP, plate discipline, etc.

His career major league numbers so far are a realistic guess for what he could do. .276/.345/454. With all the hackers in this lineup is there any reason he shouldn't be batting leadoff?

He's played 62 games in the majors so you cannot really judge how a player will do based on those numbers. Small Sample Size! 

Trout hit .250 with an OBP around .300 in his first 62 games. 

I think we'll see something between Calhoun's minor league numbers and his major league numbers to date, which is pretty damn good. 

He's played 62 games in the majors so you cannot really judge how a player will do based on those numbers. Small Sample Size! 

Trout hit .250 with an OBP around .300 in his first 62 games. 

I think we'll see something between Calhoun's minor league numbers and his major league numbers to date, which is pretty damn good. 

I'm not judging him off his 62 games. I'm judging him off his minor league numbers and his major league numbers. His numbers are not so far off from his minor league numbers to think his performance so far is a fluke. He has hit better in the minors but has also played in some hitters environments and he has never been young for his level. I'm also not saying he couldn't develop into more than that. I would like to find out. I just won't expect more from him than we are getting this season, which is more than solid.

I'd be happy if he did what he's doing this year over the course of a season. He'd be a huge asset to the team. Not everyone will be an all-star. There's certainly nothing wrong with a guy being an average - above average OF playing for league minimum with 6 years of club control. 

Edited by eaterfan

Yep, even after Calhoun let a ball bounce over his head for a triple which eventually led to the Blue Jays scoring a go ahead run. Of course CJ was as much to blame for not covering behind third on the relay.

Calhoun has had a few head-scratcher moments in the field so far, but his only fault on that play was not being 6 inches taller.  The ball took an absolutely ridiculous hop off the field turf and would've been a pretty easy play on grass.  It was hit hard enough that if he'd gone back on it more it would've still made it to the wall, although maybe only for a double if he hadn't wasted the extra second trying to cut it off. 

If Calhoun is this good.  He should be able to get us a #1 or #2 pitcher.  Hamilton, Trout, and Pujols have already made him very expendable.  

If you guys are right and Calhoun is so good, shouldn't we trade him for a #1 or 2 starter?  Our needs are pitching.  I would rather have Trumbo and Bourjos and have another top order pitcher than to trade Trumbo or Bourjos for a #5 pitcher and go with Calhoun.

No personally I think all of you are over hyping the kid and don't think he would bring a top of order pitcher.  However, I could be wrong.  

I have said repeatedly that we should dangle Trumbo, PB, and Calhoun and see which one brings us the best pitcher.   Personally all three should bring us something on the mound, but I doubt PB would bring anything but a bottom order guy who we can probably get cheap on FA.  Trumbo may bring us a couple of pieces.  

Kendrick can bring us the most in a trade, but we Kendrick maybe more valuable to us than Trumbo, PB, or Calhoun.  However, Kendrick may free up some money we can give to Trout in the extension.  

I would agree with many of you that we should see if Trout wants the extension before we trade good outfielders.