• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gammons on MLB network

Jobu

Gammons was on MLB network a few hours ago and was doing his usual shtick. The bullet point he was discussing was that, even with all the questionable pitching moves, CJ Wilson was a good deal and Dipoto should be credited with the signing. As he was evaluating the rotation he said they are a young pitcher away from a respectable rotation, and almost as an aside, said dDipoto had such a deal at the deadline but it was "overruled". He didn't say who overruled it (the other team?) and he never followed up.

Is this a story line that we know about? July seems like a long time ago so I can't remember if he was just reiterating a well-known fact, or trying to drop "insider knowledge"...

Maybe this is the deal that would have sent Howie to the Dodgers for Zach Lee? 

So... all of this is speculation, but if you are Dipoto and Arte is actually dictating the moves - would you resign and look for another opportunity or would you stick it out, thinking this is your one shot as a GM?  It's an interesting dilemma because there have a been a few GM's who only got one shot.

From Gammon's journal:

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/cj-wilson-and-the-angels-pitching/

"If Jerry DiPoto had been allowed to trade Howie Kendrick to the Dodgers for Zach Lee and Chris Withrow at the deadline, things would look a lot better."

Sure sounds like someone in our organization told him to nix the deal.

"Earlier today, it was reported that the Dodgers are nearing a deal with Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, who has officially been cleared by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control to sign with a Major League team."

If the Dodgers sign Guerrero, you can scratch them off the list of suitors

From Gammon's journal:

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/cj-wilson-and-the-angels-pitching/

"If Jerry DiPoto had been allowed to trade Howie Kendrick to the Dodgers for Zach Lee and Chris Withrow at the deadline, things would look a lot better."

Sure sounds like someone in our organization told him to nix the deal.

I should have known be was just regurgitating his own blog post; that's nearly word for word what he said, except I don't remember him saying that last sentence, which seems to go a little further in saying that Dipoto got overruled.

Hey Arte, if you nixed an HK/Lee deal, STOP being involved in ALL future moves!

Just STOP it!   Because, if you nixed that deal, you are a true ignoramus with baseball knowledge!

I know that in my article, "Four True Outcomes", I speculated that Mike Scioscia might have been part of those trade discussions, so Gammons article lends a small amount of credence to probably three different scenarios: 1) Arte didn't want to do business with his cross-town rivals (which I had been potentially worried about when I suggested it in my other article, "Trade Candidate: Howie Kendrick?", 2) Moreno is too involved in the actual trade negotiations for his own good, or 3) that S-C-I-O-S-C-I-A was a part of that trade package and Arte couldn't bring himself to let him go.

Of course the former two are the more probable scenarios. Moreno was quoted recently as saying, "I have to look in the mirror and say, 'Am I making the right call?'"

He may have been referring to those very trade negotiations.

I love jerry dipoto as much as anyone and think arte is the real mastermind behind this mess, but come on. Whywould arte not approve the deal? Maybe it was a scout who didn't like zach lee

The only person that could tell Dipoto 'no' is Arte.  A scout could not override Dipoto.  Servais or Klentak couldn't even do that.

being upset without knowing the reality of the negotiations is pretty funny. People here bash Gammons and now his word is bond.

Has it occurred to you that AngelsWin is not all one person? Just because some people don't trust Gammons does not mean that nobody trusts him.

Maybe he's got an agenda or a bad source, but between you, me and Gammons he is by far the most likely person to have this knowledge.

Has it occurred to you that AngelsWin is not all one person? Just because some people don't trust Gammons does not mean that nobody trusts him.

Maybe he's got an agenda or a bad source, but between you, me and Gammons he is by far the most likely person to have this knowledge.

The usual plural for person is people so yes I obviously do understand that multiple people post on here.

A large amount of the individuals who post on here have had negative viewpoints toward Peter Gammons. Nowhere in my statement did I say "everyone" here talks crap on Gammons. Carry on though. 

I'll consider this a misunderstanding before I get too worked up about it.

If it WAS Arte who intervened on this deal, then this organization is ****ed for as long as he is the owner. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though. Gammons did not explicitly say "Arte nixed the deal" even though it was somewhat implied.