• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CALHOUN!!!

Chuck

Boom! 

Love this kid. Hoping he makes the roster! 

4. Kole Calhoun (OF)
Calhoun.jpg
Bats: LeftThrows: Left Height: 5’9” 190 lbs. DOB: 10/14/87
(Salt Lake/Angels): .291/.352/.488 with 14 HRs and 13 SBs

Kole Calhoun quietly puts up the numbers and demonstrates all the attributes managers love in a ball player, yet he gets overlooked by scouts who are concerned his 5'10 frame leaves little for projection. Oh but big things come in small packages, right? Calhoun has posted a .309/.396/.525 slash line in 294 minor league games and made his major league debut in 2012 in a reserve outfield role.

A true blue collar ball player who possesses plate discipline and professionalism, Calhoun could start the 2013 in the outfield on a lot of teams. Calhoun demonstrates solid pop and gets himself in good hitters counts with an advanced approach at the plate, enabling him to drive the ball. Kole doesn't have to worry about being platooned, as he's hit lefties as well as righties throughout his minor league career. Average speed, but takes good routes in the outfield and is a smart base runner, giving him the ability to steal 20-25 bases. Calhoun has a strong arm and can play all three outfield positions, though he profiles better in right field. 

Former Angels Scouting Director Eddie Bane is high on this Arizona State Sun Devil who delivered with a .321/.478/.616 slash line along with 17 homers in 224 at-bats as a senior before Bane nabbed him in the 8th round. Look for Calhoun to at least lock up a spot on the bench out of spring training for the Angels, with an outside shot at claiming the right field job should Trumbo's second half woes at the plate carry over into spring camp. There's also a chance Trumbo could be given another crack at third base, giving Calhoun a shot at the right field gig. I suspect the very worst you're going to get out of Calhoun is a solid reserve outfielder and productive pinch hitter in the big leagues.

I do,too

* in before "if Reagins hadn't traded for Wells...."

Ha. But you know, Calhoun gives us a lefty off the bench who can play all three outfield positions and 1B. I think we can keep Calhoun and Wells, no?

I would love to see Calhoun on the team, but I don't know that it makes sense in terms of roster construction.

The team is pretty well covered in the OF and 1B, and he's going to be stuck behind Wells in terms of playing time.

I don't have a problem using him as a bench guy if he's going to get some playing time, but I don't see where that would come on the current team.

The other reason we need to keep Kole is because he provides backup in case Bourjos struggles again, or Trumbo has another 2nd half streak. I don't feel comfortable having just Wells as the backup OF when we have two pretty big question marks in the OF (Trumbo and Bourjos)

No reason to not have Calhoun

Calhoun, Wells, utility IF, and backup catcher would be the bench if carrying 12 pitchers.

Trumbo backs up 1B, and on those days Wells can DH. Calhoun becomes #1 backup OF.

But how often is Trumbo going to be playing the field with whoever's place he's taking completely out of the game? I would have to think most of his playing time in the field is going to be where he swaps 1B and DH with Pujols or OF and DH with Hamilton or even Trout.

So it would take a guy getting the day off entirely(and with Pujols, Hamilton, and Trout, I doubt Scioscia will take them out of the lineup unless they REALLY need it) for Calhoun to even be the 4th OF.

Again, I don't have an issue with using Calhoun as a bench guy, but I don't know how much it really benefits Kole or the Angels to have him in the roster in that situation vs. just being the first guy in line down in Salt Lake. Especially if you can instead use that roster spot for a player that covers a shallower area on the roster, like the non-1B infield spots, in the interim

No reason to not have Calhoun

Calhoun, Wells, utility IF, and backup catcher would be the bench if carrying 12 pitchers.

Trumbo backs up 1B, and on those days Wells can DH. Calhoun becomes #1 backup OF.

let's not count our chickens before Pujols shows his knee is ready.

Do you think Calhoun has done enough in the minors to be considered a ''quality'' trade chip come Trade Deadline? We may or may not need some pitching help come mid July, and Calhoun seems like the only viable trade chip we have other than Cowart who is, undoubtedly untouchable.

I think so, but I'd prefer the Angels keep him around as a lefty bat off the bench.  I think he's gonna have some good value to the Angels with Wells' departure next year.

I like Calhoun a lot. He plays the game the right way. But I don't see him being on the opening day roster this year. His development would be better served with at least part of the year in AAA. Get regular at bats and if he's needed here call him up.

• 2 weeks later...

Calhoun has to be the happiest guy in Tempe right about now...

Love his hustle, and he will ad much more to the team than VW ever could.

Fully expect him to take full advantage of this opportunity.

I also predict that by the ASB, even the doubters will have to admit the kid is a heck of a ballplayer.