• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

KOLE CALHOUN

Chuck

Is there some real reason Calhoun must play every game in these throw away spoiler games? If you think about it you all areonly arguing about your entertainment value over evaluating players worth. If it is so readily apearant that Calhoun is the better player, don't you think the Angels already knew this?

This year these games are not about winning. It is about getting a better picture of who you have on the 40 man can do. That does not mean keep playing the best of those that you already know what they can do at this level.

Calhoun doesn't need any more evaluation time.

Sure he does...he's had around 100 AB's with a minimal amount against lefties.  They need to see if he can adjust through slumps, how his defense plays long-term at both OF and 1B, is a he everyday or platoon...this is an ongoing process. Also, you may say these games aren't about winning but, I guarantee you, the guys who are actually managing, coaching, and playing don't see it that way.

Is there some real reason Calhoun must play every game in these throw away spoiler games? If you think about it you all areonly arguing about your entertainment value over evaluating players worth. If it is so readily apearant that Calhoun is the better player, don't you think the Angels already knew this?

This year these games are not about winning. It is about getting a better picture of who you have on the 40 man can do. That does not mean keep playing the best of those that you already know what they can do at this level.

Calhoun doesn't need any more evaluation time.

He has only 165 career MLB PAs. That is not nearly enough to fully evaluate a player.

Calhoun needs everyday PAs to see if he is an everyday corner OF.

Shuck is a 4th OF at best. He is really a replacement level OF. 94 wRC+, 0.1 WAR and can't play a league average CF.

Why he is leading off is beyond my comprehension.

Shuck>Aybar>Cowgill leading off

However, that is if only those three are being considered.

Next year, I wouldn't mind seeing Calhoun/Trout/healthy Pujols 1-3.

Edited by Mark68

He has only 165 career MLB PAs. That is not nearly enough to fully evaluate a player.

If he wasn't from our own organization I would agree. But he has been with the Angels since draft day and his minor league career has transistioned just fine to the majors. There is nothing in his play that says he isn't ready to be on the 25 man roster next season as either a 4th outfielder or a starter should other players be traded.

Looks like you guys are the ones that need convincing.

If he wasn't from our own organization I would agree. But he has been with the Angels since draft day and his minor league career has transistioned just fine to the majors. There is nothing in his play that says he isn't ready to be on the 25 man roster next season as either a 4th outfielder or a starter should other players be traded.

Looks like you guys are the ones that need convincing.

Which one is it? Is it starter or bench? Can they they trade Bourjos and/or Trumbo and depend on Calhoun to be the everyday outfielder? These are the questions that are yet to be answered with more playing time.

According to mudville they already have all the answers regarding any questions about Calhoun's abilities. Heck, they know he rakes so well against lefties that they sometimes sit him against lefty starters to give him some rest, but when he does start against them, he hits 7th to give other guys a chance for more ABs against lefties.

He's been incredible.  I really want him to be a starting OF for us next year.

Unless Bourjos and/or Hamilton is traded he won't start, although I agree that he could easily be a starter.

The great thing is that he can be depth in our outfield. This is a big reason why I think Mark Trumbo will be traded this off season as Calhoun can easily fill the role of a DH/RF/1B back up and get 3-5 game appearances a week filling in on a starter's day off or hitting in the DH spot.

I could easily imagine Calhoun, Hamilton, and Pujols (and possibly Conger hitting DH too) rotating in and out of RF, DH, and 1B.

Having depth for injuries is super important so even if he is in a back up role I'll be happy. If someone goes down we don't lose much if anything (heck we may even gain value!).

Bourjos got injured on April 29th.   Calhoun didn't come back until May 19th, I think.  He missed six weeks.   Considering Calhoun only had a couple dozen major league at bats, giving it at least a couple weeks seemed reasonable.  When Bourjos was placed on the DL on July 3rd, that is when they should've called up Calhoun.  He was called up 3 1/2 weeks later.  

Bourjos got injured on April 29th. Calhoun didn't come back until May 19th, I think. He missed six weeks. Considering Calhoun only had a couple dozen major league at bats, giving it at least a couple weeks seemed reasonable. When Bourjos was placed on the DL on July 3rd, that is when they should've called up Calhoun. He was called up 3 1/2 weeks later.

The July 3rd date was what I meant. An extra month of eval. would have been nice.

Edited by Scott34

He's been incredible.  I really want him to be a starting OF for us next year.

Calhoun leads all AL rookies (with more than 30 AB) in OBP and SLG.  RC/27, too.  He's second in BA.  Its too bad he got hurt early.  He would've played quite a bit and had a shot at AL Rookie of the Year.   

I guess everyone is jumping on the Calhoun bandwagon now.

I have been calling for him to play every day since he has been called up.

PB should have been traded for pitching in the off season, and Kole should have been on the opening day roster.

And anyone that dares think I am "band-wagoning" can go back and look at my posts in ST.

The July 3rd date was what I meant. An extra month of eval. would have been nice.

Yeah, I figured. I was curious about the details myself.  Bourjos gets injured so often, it is hard to keep track. That is when I got feisty about it, too.  Calhoun should've been up the second time Bourjos went on the DL.