• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

is 4 enough?

DMVol

I still think Williams could get it done long term as a #5.    When he's on, he's very solid.   But he has to avoid the bad 1.5 month stretches like he went through from July into mid-August.  

If Green, Lindsey, and Jimenez can be counted on to hold down 2B and 3B in 2014, then Kendrick potentially could fetch a good young pitcher with #3/#4 potential like a Zach Lee.  

If Calhoun can hold down RF in 2014 and be counted on to put up at least a mid .700s OPS, then Trumbo could also potentially be traded in the off-season for pitching help and Hamilton moved to DH.     Shuck can hold down the #4 OF spot.

As for the pen, get the Beard in here to go with Frieri, a healthy Burnett, Kohn, DDLR, Coello, and either Boshers or Maronde.

There's no need to sign a larger contract FA like Garza, and lose the 2014 1st round draft pick and money availability.

Nope, particularly not if the 5 spot is occupied by the likes of Hanson, Blanton or Williams.

If you can get Garza, great! If not, at the very least I think you need one 2/3ish type guy and then either Vargas or someone roughly equivalent(I still think Hughes is an intriguing buy low chance). And of course some depth. Maybe take a flier on someone like Tim Hudson if possible.

Of course it does look like the team might have a trade chip or two on the offensive side, so it wouldn't all need to come via FA, which is good since it's a pretty weak pitching class.

Nope, particularly not if the 5 spot is occupied by the likes of Hanson, Blanton or Williams.

If you can get Garza, great! If not, at the very least I think you need one 2/3ish type guy and then either Vargas or someone roughly equivalent(I still think Hughes is an intriguing buy low chance). And of course some depth. Maybe take a flier on someone like Tim Hudson if possible.

Of course it does look like the team might have a trade chip or two on the offensive side, so it wouldn't all need to come via FA, which is good since it's a pretty weak pitching class.

I can see Dipoto making this kind of move, but I wouldn't like it.  I don't think this staff can afford another buy low risk.  We need a solid number two.  Also, I am not that enamored with Garza.

If the pen could have the one or two right veteran additions, and the youngsters continue to progress, the bullpen could make it less necessary to have a rock solid 1 through 5 in the rotation.

Believe it or not, Jepsen aside, there is solid potential in this pen if Burnett is healthy and the right leader type could be acquired. 

I still think Williams could get it done long term as a #5.    When he's on, he's very solid.   But he has to avoid the bad 1.5 month stretches like he went through from July into mid-August.  

If Green, Lindsey, and Jimenez can be counted on to hold down 2B and 3B in 2014, then Kendrick potentially could fetch a good young pitcher with #3/#4 potential like a Zach Lee.  

If Calhoun can hold down RF in 2014 and be counted on to put up at least a mid .700s OPS, then Trumbo could also potentially be traded in the off-season for pitching help and Hamilton moved to DH.     Shuck can hold down the #4 OF spot.

As for the pen, get the Beard in here to go with Frieri, a healthy Burnett, Kohn, DDLR, Coello, and either Boshers or Maronde.

There's no need to sign a larger contract FA like Garza, and lose the 2014 1st round draft pick and money availability.

Come on AO ... we all know it's a pipe dream that Hamilton will become our DH. I could see Calhoun, Shuck, or Bourjos on the trading block for a pitcher.

I'm also not keen on having two rookie infielders next season. If you trade Kendrick then you need to sign a veteran third baseman.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Does the team that signs Garza have to give up their first round draft pick? Wouldn't he fall into the same category as Zack G. last year? If they gave him a qualifying offer, the Rangers wouldn't get a first round draft pick for him because they picked him up at the trade deadline?  I'm not really a fan of giving big money to Garza, especially if the Angels have to give up their first round draft pick for him.