• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WSOP funniest bad beat EVER

This has good potential, but I think I've forgotten more bad beat reactions than I remember.

This one was a solid kick to the dick, any three outer is. Then factor in the money and ramifications and it's brutal. Matt Affleck crying still beats this, but his was more brutal in the scope of potential money and where he was at stack wise....the guy who knocked him out propelled from the knockout and ended up winning 8 mil or so.

Although, what sucks ass is when you get knocked out and the dude that bad beats you tells you how well you played. It's the ultimate rub in and makes it worse.

I think he thought (1) Gill was bluffing, and (2) figured if he wasn't that Ace Queen (ignoring the cards on the table) is probably a better hand than what Gill was holding (and he was right). When he saw the 2 pair he was probably shitting himself and praying for a queen.

I can't believe it actually was a queen. I think Gill was in shock honestly. Took it better than I would have lol.

so aside from the crazy luck on that last card - is it smart to call there when you just have a pair of aces?

what's his thinking?

does he think the other guy is bluffing, or is he like "ok the best he's got is also a pair of aces, since he can't have three."

tough to answer because the video is incomplete info as we don't see any of the action leading up to the decision, things like table image/flow, and stack size. so it's tough to deduce his thought process.

my opinion from that little snippet is the guy that went all in was at risk and I'm sure play leading up to that point dictated his play makes sense as the board of A-10-3-4 is pretty dry, meaning it doesn't likely show well for players and a hand like AQ is probably a good hand and has what we call showdown value.

A key component not shown is the guy that called and his chip stack. If the amount is small in comparison to how many chips he has, mathematically and with regards to equity or based on the percentage of times you think calling wins/loses in comparison to the percentage of chips it takes to make the call.

At the end it shows the loser walks away winning $28k which tells me they are in the second pay jump of the money where eliminations are now making money. About 6k+ play this and they are now around a couple hundred. So you're factoring in survival and jumping up pay bumps and factors like chip stack are imperative at this stage.

I can't really hear the chatter at the table but the guy going all in talking is a tell, or body language indicative of his holding.

AQ is dominant if he thinks the guy moving all in has a lower ace, which I assume was his rational for calling mixed with the talking. You're not really putting someone on 2-5 for a straight at this stage of the tournament, but I don't know the chip stacks or where the blinds are to where you could justify that play. However, if a guy moves all in at this stage you really have to consider his life is on the line. That and with AQ you only have a strong ace so you're only beating a bluff or weak ace. Ultimately, calling I think he figured he pushed with an ace but not strong enough against AQ....maybe something like AJ, A9, A7.

But it's pure speculation based on limited information. Overall, your last comment about a weaker ace is probably the final thought process. But the guy that called, his chip stack is the most important piece of info missing as it is a marginal call or fold. Even if you put a lot of the variables in it still is a tough decision and can be debated to call or fold. It's a tough spot and the guy moving all in, aside from having a likely best hand, added the element of pressure on the hoodie guy which is crucial.

Just my two cents. Could be picked apart or incorrect induction. Poker message boards are filled with nothing but these. I enjoy it.

Based on the various information I can gather from that clip, this is the best I can do to re-create the action in the hand.

Antes – 1k x 9 = 9,000

Blinds – 4k, 8k = 12,000

Pot 21,000

Gil opens for 16k, Paredes calls. Pot 53,000

Flop comes and Gil bets 35k, Parades calls. 123,000

Turn comes, Gil Checks, Parades bets 60k, Gil ships.

That's the only scenario I can come up with that makes any sense given the limited information we have about that hand. But, to be honest, the thing that bothers me about that scenario is that AQ was so overplayed this year that the call preflop doesn't fall in line. However, I just can't get the math to work in a way that the action would make any sense otherwise.

The comment by the player that won the hand is more noteworthy than the reaction by the guy that lost.  Quite a few players have worse reactions in early stages of low stakes tournaments. It was a very tame reaction considering the circumstances.  

A table of nine or ten players usually includes three that whine too much and a couple more that say stupid things.  That is one thing I miss about online poker.  It is less annoying in a chat box. If I played more, I might go the headphone route so I didn't have to hear it.  Then again, some people give up information verbally... and I don't want to be the guy that takes too long or makes a mistake because I didn't hear something correctly. 

I couldn't even hear what Gill said, but this is typical of so many hot shots running their mouths while playing.

Clearly Paredes felt confident enough to gamble a little to attempt to knock this guy out.

What's surprising is that if you play enough hands of poker, you learn to expect you're going to get beat, and you're relieved it's not the card that takes you down.

This idiot looks as if he just watched the end of the Crying Game.

The comment by the player that won the hand is more noteworthy than the reaction by the guy that lost.  Quite a few players have worse reactions in early stages of low stakes tournaments. It was a very tame reaction considering the circumstances.  

A table of nine or ten players usually includes three that whine too much and a couple more that say stupid things.  That is one thing I miss about online poker.  It is less annoying in a chat box. If I played more, I might go the headphone route so I didn't have to hear it.  Then again, some people give up information verbally... and I don't want to be the guy that takes too long or makes a mistake because I didn't hear something correctly.

Do both. Ari Engel had mentioned putting in head phones but not listening to anything. It avoids the socializers to not talk to you, but also allows you to hear the table chatter and pick things up.

This thread reminds me that I don't know how to play poker and have no clue what any of you are talking about.

Math!  Hahahaha

That was funny; His look was combination homicidal then suicidal.

Bad beats like this is why I don't play big-stakes poker.  You can be dominating like this, and get beat by a dumbass-lucky call...

• 1 month later...

If you're interested, check out Derek and my site, www.pokertelegraph.com for interviews and photos from yesterday as well as some more tonight. We have a surprising special guest lined up for tonight. Tune into the coverage on ESPN and then head over to our site while it's all going on.