• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Vargas leads Angels to shutout, series victory

Jason Vargas may have finally regained his form. On Thursday afternoon, in the finale of a three-game series at Tropicana Field and in his fourth start since missing nearly two months with a blood clot, the veteran left-hander hurled seven scoreless innings against the Rays, leading the Angels to a 2-0 victory and a series win.

View the full article

I'd like the Angels to pull out all the stops and go after a true ace or really good #2 like Garza in the offseason. Push CJ to #3 in the rotation, Vargas to #4 and move Richards to the BP for the closer role if they can land a Smyly for the rotation -- who I like more as a SP than Richards. 

Even without the past two starts, re-sign him. 

He's a great 3/4 guy in ANY rotation. 

Garza is gonna be the best pitcher available in the offseason.  We'd have to beat the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Dodgers, and probably a few other teams to get him.  I'd like to see it happen but I'm not optimistic.

But yeah, get Vargas back.  Heading into next year with Weaver/Wilson/Vargas/Richards sounds pretty good.

I'd like the Angels to pull out all the stops and go after a true ace or really good #2 like Garza in the offseason. Push CJ to #3 in the rotation, Vargas to #4 and move Richards to the BP for the closer role if they can land a Smyly for the rotation -- who I like more as a SP than Richards. 

Why don't you like Richards as a starter?

I like him better in that role. He seems to kind of lose it once in awhile and I think being a starter will allow for more consistency.  He has more innings to work out the kinks.  Plus, he has four pitches, all of which are very good and his fastball moves a lot.  Next year I think he could give us 180ip with an era around 4 which would be good for a 5th starter.  Also, the farm and FA market is thin starter wise.  I wouldn't mind them getting Smyly as well, but I think he would be a starter only if we couldn't get another one in addition to Vargas

I would like to see them sign Vargas before the off season which to me would me they are getting a good deal.  If he goes to FAcy, it's likely they think he'll be too expensive but I would hope they would get a pick from that.  The problem is that they need two more starters instead of one. 

From that point, they have a couple of directions they could go.  They could continue to be a bit short-sighted and trade prospects for a #2 type starter, but I would like to see them trade an everyday player or two to do so.  They could also get some solid AA/AAA pitchers for a couple of everyday players.  It will be interesting. 

I still think they are going to get the most bang for their buck by trading Trumbo and Aybar.  They could get a stephen drew and play him vs. Rhers and let Field, Romine, Lucho, Green etc fil in the IF in various platoons. 

Above all else, they need to get the rotation set right away so they have time to focus on the pen. 

Get Smyly, and then determine if he's either your future closer/8th inning guy or #3/#4 starter, based on other moves made. But, it could take a fair bit to acquire him.

I agree that Richards is best served as a starter.

It'd be almost a waste to put him in the pen long term, with those 4 different pitches he can throw.

He is going to take a step back at times, like in the Astros and Rays starts. He's getting much closer though to being a true #3 starter in the long run.

As for Vargas, I'd go as high as 4 years/$50 million.

Edited by Angel Oracle