• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Fangraphs] So Why Do The Angels Suck?

Not sure if this is a Craig, but its a good article. I agree with Dave Cameron. Here's the last paragraph:

The Angels certainly haven’t lived up to expectations, and $140 million should buy a better team than this one has turned out to be. But, when looking at whether to blame Moreno, DiPoto, or Scioscia, the answer is almost certainly some combination of the three, with a heavy dose of random variation sprinkled in as well. This Angels team isn’t completely hopeless, and with some better bullpen acquisitions over the winter, could probably be expected to contend in 2014. Whether DiPoto and Scioscia are in charge of putting together that team remains to be seen, but I wouldn’t say it’s abundantly clear that firing either one is really going to fix the problems that have plagued the 2013 Angels.

Fun article.  His take on MS is somewhat interesting.  I highly doubt regression totally accounts for the Halos not performing as well relative to pythag etc.  I actually think that MS took a look around at his players and has tried to manage differently than in the past because of that.  He bucked trends for essentially ten straight years.  That doesn't seem totally accountable to luck or variation. 

I still think a kickass pen will change the entire fortune of this team.  Obviously, blanton and hansen have to go as well, but getting us a pen should be on par in terms of priority. 

Fun article.  His take on MS is somewhat interesting.  I highly doubt regression totally accounts for the Halos not performing as well relative to pythag etc.  I actually think that MS took a look around at his players and has tried to manage differently than in the past because of that.  He bucked trends for essentially ten straight years.  That doesn't seem totally accountable to luck or variation. 

I still think a kickass pen will change the entire fortune of this team.  Obviously, blanton and hansen have to go as well, but getting us a pen should be on par in terms of priority. 

I agree, get a bullpen and this team looks very different. 

Three answers: Pitching, pitching, and pitching.

The Angels are 5th in the AL (and MLB) in OPS this year. They are 13th in the AL in ERA and WHIP.

Trout is over half of the oWAR for the team.  Trade anyone but him and you likely don't lose that much.  Although you could definitely see significant improvement on the pitching side. 

The big thing next season will be injuries.  It won't matter who we get next season if this team can't stay healthy.  Biggest blow this season was Burnett.  Losing Coello also didn't help.  And losing Weaver and Vargas for extended periods, and Blanton pretty much lost for the entire season meant having to rely too heavily on Richards and Williams.  Just taxed the relievers and made it too unpredictable.

Get a good starting pitcher.  Then we won't be taxing the pen after the 3rd inning.  Frieri, Burrnett, Coello, De La Rosa, Kohn, Williams is a good start to the pen.  Walden as a maybe.  You can get a good cheap reliever in FA'cy.  

The big thing next season will be injuries.  It won't matter who we get next season if this team can't stay healthy.  Biggest blow this season was Burnett.  Losing Coello also didn't help.  And losing Weaver and Vargas for extended periods, and Blanton pretty much lost for the entire season meant having to rely too heavily on Richards and Williams.  Just taxed the relievers and made it too unpredictable.

Get a good starting pitcher.  Then we won't be taxing the pen after the 3rd inning.  Frieri, Burrnett, Coello, De La Rosa, Kohn, Williams is a good start to the pen.  Walden as a maybe.  You can get a good cheap reliever in FA'cy.  

agreed.  regardless of what happens, this team is not going to be set up to sustain injuries from their 1st team due to a horrible lack of depth on the pitching side.  We may see some guys in A/AA right now help with the big club a bit next year, but it will be forced at that point. 

I also wouldn't put much stock in Kohn, Jep and Coello being anything more than depth going forward.  If they are called upon due to injury and they perform well then that's a bonus.  We've made that mistake for a couple of years running now and I don't want to see them do that anymore.  Probably gonna have to make a trade and/or sign a free agent or two. 

Three answers: Pitching, pitching, and pitching.

The Angels are 5th in the AL (and MLB) in OPS this year. They are 13th in the AL in ERA and WHIP.

I agree with the pitching thing, but the OPS ranking is so misleading. Arte also saying that they've hit well just does not tell the story offensively. The DP's and overall lack of clutch and good situational hitting has been a huge problem this year. When they have a RISP and 0 outs, I have zero confidence that they will cash in. Case in point (just the latest) was the 14 inning game against CLE last Tuesday, bases juiced, 0 outs in the 10th, and nada. Many on here were predicting (as I was) that they would **** that situation up, and they did not disappoint yet again. When in that situation, the next hitter absolutely has to come through with a run-scoring hit (****ing medium depth fly ball??), not get anxious and shit the bed, leaving the next guy to come through. There is a huge lack of 'professional hitter's' approaches in that situation, all year.

Not sure if this is a Craig, but its a good article. I agree with Dave Cameron. Here's the last paragraph:

The Angels certainly haven’t lived up to expectations, and $140 million should buy a better team than this one has turned out to be. But, when looking at whether to blame Moreno, DiPoto, or Scioscia, the answer is almost certainly some combination of the three, with a heavy dose of random variation sprinkled in as well. This Angels team isn’t completely hopeless, and with some better bullpen acquisitions over the winter, could probably be expected to contend in 2014. Whether DiPoto and Scioscia are in charge of putting together that team remains to be seen, but I wouldn’t say it’s abundantly clear that firing either one is really going to fix the problems that have plagued the 2013 Angels.

Agreed.

Disagree.   This team is 2 or 3 quality starting pitchers away from being competitive.   The rotation has huge holes, and I don't think it can be fixed overnight or even in a single offseason.

starts made by Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Richards - 72 starts, 461.1ip (about 6.5ip),  3.53era

starts not made by the above (Blanton, Hanson, Williams, Buckner, Enright, Roth), 57 starts, 304ip (about 5.3per), 5.74era

depth and injuries have played a big role on top of poor performance.  The top four should have made 104 of those starts so far.  Granted, Richards only became part of the rotation recently so his ten starts are about right, but if you bring back Vargas and give a spot to Richards from go next year, you really need to fill one spot and then add someone for depth.  We have no options if someone gets hurt or misses a few starts and they always do.  Also, no guarantee on Richards performing that well for that many innings next year. 

So in essence, the rotation has holes, but Blanton and injuries killed us this year. 

I'd like to see us parlay a couple or even three of Trumbo, Bourjos, Aybar and Kendrick into a major league ready potential #2, a similar #3/4 type that we could still send to AAA for more 'seasoning' as well as a couple of ready to go club controlled pen arms and a SS or 3b prospect nearly ready to go.

Start the year with Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Acquired Arm, Richards (preferably, the arm acquired would have some major league experience).  If you could somehow get a club controlled #2, that would be best case, but I don't think we've got the horses for that.

Sign Tim Stauffer who is a FA solid reliever that can also spot start.  Keep Williams as the long man and let him fill in the occassional spot start or let Staffer do it.  If there is going to be extended time missed by any starter, bring the other guy acquired up from AAA and put him in the rotation.  Get Mujica to close.  He, Burnett, Stauffer, Frieri, DDLR  and one of the traded pen arms or someone else that steps up among, kohn, jep, morin, rasmus, boshers, coello, the other acquired arm, or whoever else are depth.  If we get in real trouble, maybe you could call on guys like Sappington, Sneed, Batista, Shoemaker or even Piazza. 

So there it is.  Average rotation.  Very good bullpen.  Mike Trout. 

So there it is.  Average rotation.  Very good bullpen.  Mike Trout. 

Still managed by the stale, lifeless coaching crew...we may witness another high yield event when Dipoto proceeds to dump another of Scioscia's good ol boys Butcher

Need a clean coaching slate, turn the page on Scioscia and his crew

Still managed by the stale, lifeless coaching crew...we may witness another high yield event when Dipoto proceeds to dump another of Scioscia's good ol boys Butcher

Need a clean coaching slate, turn the page on Scioscia and his crew

meh.  kind of indifferent on whether MS should stay or go.  I wouldn't mind butcher shown the door though.