• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose on Fernando Rodney

as i was watching the end of the dr v. venezuela wbc game, i was interested to listen to Mota's overflowing praise of Jim Hickey(tb's pitching coach) related to rodney's great season last year. he didn't mention Butcher. Should be interesting to watch the seasons Ervin Santana and Dan Haren put together this year and the effect new coaching has on them. does coaching have that great of an effect on pitchers performance at the mlb level?

i thought last year i heard rodney was claiming buther tried to mess w/ his delivery too much which supposedly caused his poor season with the Angels....apparently Jim Hickey decided to "leave his delivery alone" according to Rodney which resulted in his good season..this of course is all per Rodney

as i was watching the end of the dr v. venezuela wbc game, i was interested to listen to Mota's overflowing praise of Jim Hickey(tb's pitching coach) related to rodney's great season last year. he didn't mention Butcher. Should be interesting to watch the seasons Ervin Santana and Dan Haren put together this year and the effect new coaching has on them. does coaching have that great of an effect on pitchers performance at the mlb level?

Butcher is starting to concern me as a pitching coach as well, but I'm willing to give him another shot before I jump on the FIRE BUTCHER campaign. 

Yes... Rodney did make those comments about Butcher and I am with Chuck - Butcher is a HUGE concern.  I know there are plenty here that scoff at the role of major league coaches, but the good coaches can make an impact... just as the poor coaches can (ie; Mickey Hatcher).  I too am willing to give him a shot, but the minute this staff falters for any extended period of time, his head is on the platter.

Rodney obviously wanted to exclusively close when he was with the angels. when he was bumped back to 7th or 8th inning his performance really went downhill. it affected his marketability and the move smacked of punishment. granted, Rodney was lousy with us, but it is interesting how well a hands off approach works with some of these guys. Rodney was nails with detroit- comes to the angels and turns into a dog, goes to tampa and has one of the greatest seasons any pitcher has ever had? hmmmm....

Rodney obviously wanted to exclusively close when he was with the angels. when he was bumped back to 7th or 8th inning his performance really went downhill. it affected his marketability and the move smacked of punishment. granted, Rodney was lousy with us, but it is interesting how well a hands off approach works with some of these guys. Rodney was nails with detroit- comes to the angels and turns into a dog, goes to tampa and has one of the greatest seasons any pitcher has ever had? hmmmm....

I wouldnt exactly say Rodney was "nails" in Detroit during his final 3 seasons with the Tigers...

2007 4.26 ERA / 1.32 WHIP

2008 4.91 ERA / 1.58 WHIP

2009 4.40 ERA / 1.46 WHIP

During his 2 seasons with the Angels...

2010 4.24 ERA / 1.54 WHIP

2011 4.50 ERA / 1.68 WHIP

Single season with Tampa Bay

2012 0.60 ERA / 0.77 WHIP

His numbers in an Angels uniform arent too far off from what his numbers were in a Tigers uniform. I'm not saying Butcher is or isn't to blame..just interesting what occured in TB last season

I wouldnt exactly say Rodney was "nails in Detroit during his final 3 seasons with the Tigers...

2007 4.26 ERA / 1.32 WHIP

2008 4.91 ERA / 1.58 WHIP

2009 4.40 ERA / 1.46 WHIP

During his 2 seasons with the Angels...

2010 4.24 ERA / 1.54 WHIP

2011 4.50 ERA / 1.68 WHIP

Single season with Tampa Bay

2012 0.60 ERA / 0.77 WHIP

His numbers in an Angels uniform arent too far off from what his numbers were in a Tigers uniform

Hah Waller....you beat me to it.

Rodney was NOT nails with DET.  My Asst Pastor is a die hard Tigers fan and when I was actually optimistic about Rodney coming to the Angels he and I would have discussion about the happiest day in my life would be when Rodney was gone.  He was right.  Something he reminds me of all the time.  We both look at each other now wondering, "Why could our respective teams get THAT Rodney."

i was hopeful when the angels signed Rodney. but a fantasy baseball wizard friend of mine said: "Tom, this guy is a dog". thanks to the numbers comparison, i can see why he said that. thanks for posting the numbers, especially the WHIP.

If this team struggles it will be because of pitching. The pieces are all there, but they still need to be correctly handled to be effective.

If the Angels hover around .500 in April-May, "Butchy" should be the first to go.

I lost confidence in Butcher years ago. I hope, and suspect, Dipoto has him on as short of a leash as he had "Hatchy" on last season.

ever since i heard rex hudler refer to him as "butchy boy" on the air a few years ago, i've wondered about the guy.

i'm not here after anyones neck. and in no way have the experience to reasonably evaluate an mlb coaches performance.

wasn't Butcher a reliever in mlb?

Rodney was what he was when he came here.  A low to mid 4's reliever with great stuff and bad control. 

How many guys have we heard of that move a little on the rubber and suddenly become unhitable?  Complete fluke.

The guy also seems like a total punk.

I have my issues with butcher, but he get's a total pass on this one. 

Rodney was what he was when he came here.  A low to mid 4's reliever with great stuff and bad control. 

How many guys have we heard of that move a little on the rubber and suddenly become unhitable?  Complete fluke.

The guy also seems like a total punk.

I have my issues with butcher, but he get's a total pass on this one. 

Ya, I'm with you here.

Still perplexed by Reagins giving Rodney that contract in the first place though, but then again it was Reagins.

Reagins was advised (read: led) by Stoneman when it came to pitching. You don't think the pitching coach was in on the discussion when they talked about signing him?

If Butcher wasn't part of the decision re Rodney, then two things spring to mind...they don't value his opinion, or his opinion was wrong. Either way, especially considering last season and Rodney suddenly emerging as an All-Star.. I don't see how Butcher gets a pass.