• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun

stormngt

He doesn't want calhoun to succeed because his hero Bourjos might get traded or lose playing time if he does.

LOL...  Yeah because PB doesn't have a group of haters that want him to do poorly just so they can gloat or see someone else get playing time, it's silly on both sides.  Trout/PB/Calhoun with Shuck and Cowgill off the bench would have been a nice OF, nice balance with good speed all around and 2 LHBs.   Dipoto deserves some credit for building that depth.

Unfortunately they traded one bad contact (Wells), for another, Hamilton.   Hopefully JH actually wants to play baseball next year.

I agree with stormngt, we tend to over value kids we've only seen for a handful of games.  Dipoto has some hard choices this winter.  With a short list of FA pitchers and a need to completely re-build the bullpen and re-sign Vargas, there has to be trades to be made.

Do the Angels keep Bourjos? Trumbo? Shuck? Calhoun?

As you said, hard choices are going to have to be made this winter and the first one is this; if the right moves are made can the Angels be a contender in 2014? Hamilton and Pujols aren't going anywhere. Trading players like Trumbo, Kendrick, Aybar, etc.. might net the Angels a decent return, but does the value received off set the value lost enough to push the Angels to the top of division? I'm not sure what the answer is, but DiPoto and the rest of the Angels front office are in a difficult position. 

As you said, hard choices are going to have to be made this winter and the first one is this; if the right moves are made can the Angels be a contender in 2014? Hamilton and Pujols aren't going anywhere. Trading players like Trumbo, Kendrick, Aybar, etc.. might net the Angels a decent return, but does the value received off set the value lost enough to push the Angels to the top of division? I'm not sure what the answer is, but DiPoto and the rest of the Angels front office are in a difficult position. 

To answer your questions I think I have to answer them in reverse order:

I don't think the Angels can get enough to in return for Trumbo, Kendrick and Aybar to offset their losses enough to be competitive in 2014. Especially if Aybar is traded. I don't forsee the Angel's replacement player even playing at a replacement level. The FA market is terrible and the farm is bare. I also don't see Lindsey making the impact many here do. People forget that it takes rookies some time to contribute because of Trout last year but most players improve to their peak levels. This team is closer to being the worst team in baseball than the best. It might be time to take that one step back to take the 2 steps forward eventually.

That's why I think any trade you make has to be with an eye on 2015 and beyond.

SHANE this wasn't a reaction to the person this past week who joked about him being the left handed Trout.  It was too many people over hyping the guy!  We do it all the time.  

According to this Board:

1.  Scioscia was an idiot for playing Aybar over Wood

2.  Bourjos was the best playing on the team in 2011 and can't hit major league pitching in 2012

3.  Scioscia was an idiot for not playing Trumbo every day in 2012, yet in 2013 most want to get rid of him because he is a one dimensional player.

We over -hype too soon, and we are too soon to call them dogs when they go into slumps.

People please read and comprehend before making judgement on what you think the purpose of my thread was!

Trout must have been overhyped after his first 123 AB's. Good thing we didn't look to trade him during the 2011 offseason

Seriously, you are going to compare a another kid to Trout?  He's basically a once in a generation talent.

Don't cut Jespen, he could be the next Nolan Ryan.

Apparently, we have three once-in-a-generation talents that have come up since 2011. So what really defines "once in a generation"?

Seriously, you are going to compare a another kid to Trout?  He's basically a once in a generation talent.

Don't cut Jespen, he could be the next Nolan Ryan.

LOL  Well said, MT. Calhoun is a good player, he has a good future in the majors. I don't think he is at Trout's level, not many are. Like you said, and said quite accurately, Mike Trout is a once in a generation type player. BTW, how're things out in the Big Sky Country? It is so beautiful there. How's the family?

• 4 years later...
17 hours ago, Taylor said:

My favorite part of the thread is that most of the repliers still post here, and their posting style hasn't changed a bit.

Once I realized it was a bump and you posted this post, I went back to see who I had yelled at and called stupid in this thread, but nope, I hadn’t posted in it until now.