• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout vs. Puig - who ya got?

yk9001

Well yeah... he was a .320-.330 hitter every year with 249 career IBBs.  The times Vlad walked on purpose were few and far between.

Mark, can you please explain why a pitcher intentionaly walks a guy that has what was described as having terrible plate discipline?

I haven't watched Yasiel Puig play that much, but I think he may have more plate discipline than Vladimir Guerrero. Many of Guerrero's walks were intentional. 34% over his career. 50% in 2006 with the Angels.  

Vlad was a freak, though.  He'd make contact with pitches outside of the zone.  Good contact.  I don't see Puig posting this high of a batting average over his career.  I think Mondesi is a better comparison.

Edited by ScottT

There's no doubt that Trout is the man. Puig is a legit five tool player but way behind Trout in his skills. I think Puig will be a much better player next season for the Dogs.

You think puig will be much better in what way? There's no way he he hits much better than he did this year

Exactly. Young players don't always improve.

True.

I think as young as he is, he could/should. But something I think people are glossing over. Hes not a case of a dominican signed at 16 and spending a few years in thr minors, adjusting, etc. Hes basically a japanese player, a former 'pro', not a traditional rookie.

So, IMO, you have to view him over guys like that versus traditional 22 year old players.

He's got the talent to improve. I agree that his bat (babip showing) probably won't get better. But, his pitch recognition could, and his power still may.

But it all comes down to whether or not he can swallow his pride and accept his shortcomings. To his credit, none of us know him....doesn't seem like the case though.

There's no doubt that Trout is the man. Puig is a legit five tool player but way behind Trout in his skills. I think Puig will be a much better player next season for the Dogs.

Puig could improve as a player, but there is no reason to believe the results are going to improve. IMO his results are way over his skill level and mostly due to being new to the league. Pitchers will catch up with him, and he'll probably get better at the same time, but I don't see him posting batting averages near .320 all that often. I'd probably project him near .285 next year.

Edit:

Just checked the Steamer projections for next season on fangraphs and they have him projected to hit .285 next year.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

Mark, can you please explain why a pitcher intentionaly walks a guy that has what was described as having terrible plate discipline?

I feel like this goes without saying, but I'll play... because Vlad was an incredibly dangerous hitter on anything remotely near the plate who generally had significantly less dangerous hitters protecting him.  Against an extremely disciplined hitter like Trout, you'll frequently see the "unintentional intentional walk" strategy employed where they just nibble off the edge of the plate and try to get him to chase, and if he didn't, so be it.  Nibble the edge of the strikezone with Vlad and he'll just hit it over the fence anyways.

Vlad's career O-swing % was 40.3%, and even dove to an atrocious 47% in his final two years as he declined.  For comparison sake, he was slightly worse than 2013 Trumbo (38.4%) and slightly better than human windmill Josh Hamilton (41.2%).  I feel like proving that Vlad was an undisciplined hitter is like proving water is wet, so if I'm getting trolled then Well Played, Mauer.

Puig could improve as a player, but there is no reason to believe the results are going to improve. IMO his results are way over his skill level and mostly due to being new to the league. Pitchers will catch up with him, and he'll probably get better at the same time, but I don't see him posting batting averages near .320 all that often. I'd probably project him near .285 next year.

Edit:

Just checked the Steamer projections for next season on fangraphs and they have him projected to hit .285 next year.

Seems like everyone goes straight to offense. I was referring more to his defense and running

game.

Btw Puig did managed to bat .333 in his first post season.

If you put the over/under at .285 I'm betting on the over.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Seems like everyone goes straight to offense. I was referring more to his defense and running

game.

Btw Puig did managed to bat .333 in his first post season.

If you put the over/under at .285 I'm betting on the over.

Keep in mind (as far as post season), the whole team hit atlanta (even uribe). But when the tough pitching came through...yeah he had a few knocks in LA, but overall was a non factor (regardless of bat flipping a 5th inning rbi)

• 2 years later...
On October 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Edit:

Almost 3 years later and Puig's career average now sits at .288... of course TrollDaddy thought I was nuts :)