• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout vs. Puig - who ya got?

yk9001

Yasiel Puig was fined by the Dodgers for arriving late to Marlins Park on Tuesday afternoon.

Puig, who is not in Tuesday night's lineup, showed up well after the rest of this teammates had arrived. There have been lingering concerns about his discipline and baseball fundamentals, but the Dodgers' success has kept those issues on the backburner. Until recently.

When Trout gets questionable strike calls -- usually smiles and nods a bit, then steps back into the batters box. 

When Puig gets questionable strike calls -- throws tantrum in dugout and has to be restrained by teammate.  

There's one aspect of the game where the difference between the two is never in doubt.

Yasiel Puig was fined by the Dodgers for arriving late to Marlins Park on Tuesday afternoon.

Puig, who is not in Tuesday night's lineup, showed up well after the rest of this teammates had arrived. There have been lingering concerns about his discipline and baseball fundamentals, but the Dodgers' success has kept those issues on the backburner. Until recently.

Mattingly put him in as a pinch-hitter in the 8th and he hit the first pitch 390 feet for a go-ahead home run.

• 1 month later...

Obviously, it looks bad because of tonights game. But how was this ever a question?

Puig has a great bat, and can run. That said, hes pretty bad on the base paths, and for all his arm strength, hes a poor fielder. Bad routes, bad decisions. And as far as hitting, hes a guess hitter.....can crush when he guesses correctly, but not a pure hitter. (To be fair, his bat speed makes up for it).

I see Puig as a raul mondesi. Same profile, IMO, and sounds like the same attitude.In Puigs defense though, he may have just been humbled big time, and maybe he begins fixing some things this off season.

Trout is a Mickey Mantle type player (not even overhyping, the stats back it up). Puig is maybe a Vladimir Guerrero type player if he's lucky ( and I have serious doubts he's going to be close to the player Vladdy was)

Next year I see Puig doing something like: .290/.340/.520 with 30 HR - still very good, and probably puts him around 5-7 WAR depending on his defense.

Trout has proven the last two full years that he's a legit .325/.410/.565 guy with 25-30 bombs, and ~40 bags - good for 9-11 WAR

Trout is clearly on a different level, it's not even close

Edited by FireThemAll

Puig had the worst swinging strike % in the league this year. It was ahead of players like Pedro Alvarez, JOSH HAMILTON, Mark Reynolds, Chris Carter....aka guys who struggle to hit above .250

I'll be interested in seeing how well he can hit for average going forward with his approach and swing and miss. Hamilton was able to sustain some good BA's for a few years despite his notorious hack approach, but now it's looking like it's catching up to him

Trout will continue to be a notch above players like Puig, who have similar toolsets, mainly because Trout's hit tool is well above them.

Edited by bloodbrother

Also about Puig.

After his crazy start, pitchers seemed to tame him a bit. The broadcasters were saying something like after seeing two pitches, his BA drops to like low 200's... he doesnt seem to adjust. And after the initial power surge, he became more of a doubles hitter.

Great bat speed with speed to boot......but his lack of patience will catch up. His arm is a waste when he cant throw it where it needs to be. And hes got a ton of work to do on routes.

At least he seems like a good guy.....

Trout is a Mickey Mantle type player (not even overhyping, the stats back it up). Puig is maybe a Vladimir Guerrero type player if he's lucky ( and I have serious doubts he's going to be close to the player Vladdy was)

Because trout and Mantle are white, and Puig and Guerrero are latin. Makes sense.

I could be wrong AJ, but that's who keeps popping into my head. And I was a big mondesi fan (I know...we were all kids once).

Mondesi probably had a little more pop, but like puig, he was a very fast rf with good contact rate, above average power and a cannon. Theres more than a few of those, but mondesi also had the bad attitude. I think that's why his career was so short lived. Almost uncoachable.

I think this series may help puig because it may have humbled him. Thats the first thing he needs. Then again, he looked humbled in game 2, only to act like a jackass in game 3?

I really disagree with rhe Vlad comps. Ok, rf with poor discipline but good contact and an arm? Sure.

But vlad hit everything. Puig really cooled late in the year. Abd the power he showed the first two weeks looks a bit flukish. Not saying he can't mash, but the 7 home runs in his first 10 (?) Games really skews his overall numbers.