• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout vs. Puig - who ya got?

yk9001

Puig has a .462 the  BABIP which is the highest  in baseball for players with at least 250 pa, and it's not even close.

Pretty much says everything that needs to be said. Puig is very good, but he is playing so far above his head right now it's ridiculous.

Puig slowed down a lot in July with a .287/.352/.436 line, but in August he's back up to .383/.500/.596.  More interestingly, after striking out 20 times to only 4 walks in June, this month he's got 13 Ks but also 11 walks.  He also only has 1 HR this month.  I don't really watch a lot of Dodgers games, but I'd guess he's probably being pitched around a lot now?  Only way I can see him walking 11 times in 60 PAs with his godawful discipline.  

Puig slowed down a lot in July with a .287/.352/.436 line, but in August he's back up to .383/.500/.596.  More interestingly, after striking out 20 times to only 4 walks in June, this month he's got 13 Ks but also 11 walks.  He also only has 1 HR this month.  I don't really watch a lot of Dodgers games, but I'd guess he's probably being pitched around a lot now?  Only way I can see him walking 11 times in 60 PAs with his godawful discipline.  

Puig just made adjustments when they stopped throwing him strikes.

Dodgers are playing so well because Puig is the 3rd best player on the team.

I'd go with Trout. He's the safe all around bet. Puig needs to learn to play as a team. He is horrendous on the basepaths. For every time he stretches a single to a double, he's thrown out 4 times. He also runs through the stop sign at third. He has a fantastic arm, but refuses to use the cut off man. He's been allowing the opposing team to reach extra bases because he keeps launching the ball to third or home. But man, he's made some incredible throws.

He is horrendous on the basepaths. For every time he stretches a single to a double, he's thrown out 4 times. He also runs through the stop sign at third. He has a fantastic arm, but refuses to use the cut off man. He's been allowing the opposing team to reach extra bases because he keeps launching the ball to third or home. But man, he's made some incredible throws.

You could insert this paragraph into a thread about Vlad without changing a word.  Puig is so similar to him in almost every aspect of the game.  The biggest difference is that even though he swung at everything in sight, Vlad's ability to make contact was so ridiculous that he only struck out 50-70 times a year whereas Puig's 162 game avg this year is 165.  He either needs to develop some semblance of plate discipline or improve his atrocious contact rate (4th worst in baseball at 66.4% -- down in Ryan Howard and Mark Reynolds land), if he wants to avoid some serious regression and achieve a career resembling Vlad's.  

Puig joined the Dodgers on 6/3

Since that time:

.368/.430/.583/1.013

11hr/27rbi 23bb/64so

Trout in that time:

.367/.479/.602/1.080

11hr/41rbi 46bb/41so

so while Puig has taken the world by storm, Trout has actually been better.  Oh, and he was the best all around player in the league last year too.