• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Witherspoon

I'm a big Travis Witherspoon fan. From our top-50 prospects list....

11. Travis Witherspoon (OF)
Witherspoonsm.jpg
Bats: Right Throws: Right Height: 6’2” 190 lbs. DOB: 4/16/89  
(Inland Empire/Arkansas): .268/.360/.418 with 13 HRs and 34 SBs

Witherspoon doesn't get enough love in the arena of prospect publications, but he oozes tools and ability to become a solid major league centerfielder. One scout I spoke to likened him to Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos defensively, that should have more success on the bases paths and more over-the-fence power. Witherspoon really took the Angels advice in the instructional league and was more selective at the plate, drawing 57 walks while posting a solid .350 OBP across two levels in 2012.

Spoon had an excellent first half for the Angels High-A club posting a .319/.399/.470 slash line to go along with 10 doubles, 5 triples and 7 home runs.  He also stole 25 bases and played a very good centerfielder defensively, earning him a spot on the Cal League All Star club before he was promoted to Double-A Arkansas where he couldn't continue his first half success. The speedy outfielder struggled in the second half against tougher pitching to the tune of a .202/.288/.351 slash line.

Witherspoon is a centerfield with plus plus speed, but he also has a strong and accurate arm to profile in right field. If Spoon can continue to improve his plate discipline, Angels fans can dream of one of the best defensive outfields ever to touch Angel Stadium's grass in Trout, Bourjos and Witherspoon. 

Look for Witherspoon to roam the outfield with his Arizona Fall League teammate Randal Grichuk in Arkansas (Double-A) to start the 2013 season.

Our interview with Travis Witherspoon

Spoon isn't nearly ready for the Halos, but the sky is the limit for him.  I could see him just demolishing SLC this year.

you don't think he'll start the year in AA? 

I like that he became more selective last year.  If he can continue to improve the free pass rate, that would be great.  He could very well end up anywhere from all-star caliber player to a defensive replacement.  I enjoy following guys with his potential. 

Such an easy guy to root for.  I don't think he'll hit enough to be the superstar that his athletic ability indicates he can be, but I think he's going to be a stud 4th OF.  Will be interesting to see what the Angels do between him, Calhoun and Grichuk.  My guess is two of the three will go. 

Travis Witherspoon continues his killer spring with a 3-run BIG FLY. Hitting .455 this spring. 

As far as power, he won the Midwest League HR Derby two years ago. He's got a great blend of power and speed (and tremendous defense).

I've always likened him to a Mike Cameron type. His improved plate discipline has me excited about the future for him. 

you don't think he'll start the year in AA? 

I like that he became more selective last year.  If he can continue to improve the free pass rate, that would be great.  He could very well end up anywhere from all-star caliber player to a defensive replacement.  I enjoy following guys with his potential. 

If he keeps hitting like this in spring, I could see them jumping him to AAA.

AAA this year wouldn't do a ton for him yet.  He needs to hit in a non-friendly environment before we let his routine pop-ups turn into homeruns.  Besides, there's no rush on him, Cowart, Grichuk, Lindsey, Cron, Stamets or Yarbrough.  Regardless of how well they are performing right now, they need to develop, and do it when it counts during the season.  

If he keeps hitting like this in spring, I could see them jumping him to AAA.

I think he'll make the jump to AAA at some point this season, but they'll have him start out in AA with the rest of the top prospects. Could be a really exciting team in Arkansas to watch since the time Morales, Kendrick, Aybar, Napoli, Santana all played there together. 

Having seen Witherspoon play, then meeting him in person at our Fanfest event this past Saturday, I'm really pulling for this guy. 

I will tell you this. He's got a very good head on his shoulders, he's humble and works very hard at getting better. Tim Mead told me that night that Travis even did a charity event and spent time with kids one day for the Angels -- and he said he loved it. 

Travis Witherspoon, my new favorite up and comer! If he doesn't crack the Angels roster ever, I hope he has an incredible career in the major leagues for some team. 

I do know that he has impressed the coaching staff, Scioscia and Dipoto. 

• 2 weeks later...

T-Spoon has really improved since the Cal league. Saw great growth in his game while there and he continues to progress. I think its a bit of a stretch to think he will be a star in the league but he does have the athleticism to accomplish that. I could see him stepping in as a PBJ some time next season if he continues to improve his offensive side of his skill set.

• 2 weeks later...