• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels General Manager

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ya, That would have solved all of the problems right there. Sign the 38 year old to 15M plus per year contract.

Again, at the time Detroit signed him, the majority applauded DiPoto for not signing the aging veteran.

Worth pointing out, he signed for two years 26 mil.   He's currently posting an OPS+ over 116.   The aging veteran is aging well.

Worth pointing out, he signed for two years 26 mil.   He's currently posting an OPS+ over 116.   The aging veteran is aging well.

He would have also taken a discounted offer from the Angels as well. I still don't understand why they didn't sign him after Moreno said he would be in trouble if the Angels didn't.

Pitching and defense win championships; judging those two areas alone his record looks pathetic.  I hope Green turns into a great hitter, but do we need a defensive project at a position where we have current, medium. and long range personnel in place?  The offense has been better, but most of that was due to what was accomplished before he got here, and the efforts of the owner.  I don't buy the "saddled with Scioscia" comments, I've seen no evidence that Scioscia is getting in his way.  I would say that Scioscia is saddled with some poor decision making by DiPoto.  Replacing Scioscia may provide some change of game philosophy, but the effect is negligible.  Whoever would take over would have to deal with the same problems, most of which are beyond being improved by a manager or coaching staff.

I think those who get so fired up on Scioscia are reacting to his tight lipped, emotionally even keeled approach, and he manages his way (everyone else stay out of my way).  Guess what, most successful managers do manage that way currently in baseball.  The players aren't going to react positively to a hot headed, emotional manager.  Most players think they are "the game" in major league baseball.  They are generally stubborn, and have an air of superiority, even though many are as dumb intellectually as rocks.

I can buy Arte wanting to change the front office and the entire coaching staff (jeez, he's the owner).  I honestly believe it may help in the long run (3-6 years from now), but it will be very painful for a few years.  So if he wants to go for that, I'm on board, but please lets have a rational plan for success.  I'm not sure what the plan is right now.

Why didn't we offer the 1 year arb for $13 million?   

That ain't that much money, and it would have possibly prevented the Hamilton signing, and for sure if he declined have led to getting a first round pick from the Tigers. 

Not at all.  I'm fine with Sosh being gone.  His time here should be over.

I just think Dipoto has been awful.

I don't think he's been awful, but I do get sick of the free pass he gets.

I think he talks a better game than he walks but the injuries and the implosion of the defense aren't things that can easily be placed on him save for maybe his complete misses on Burnett and Madsen.  Signing guys who can't actually throw due to surgery is always a bit of a mixed bag.   His cronyism is getting old too.

Some of what he's trying to do is going to take a bit of time to seep in and become the new normal, but chasing relievers that walk 5 batters per 9 innings is only going make the process take longer.  And if indeed he is going to let Arte run amok, then he's the wrong man for the job.

Why didn't we offer the 1 year arb for $13 million?   

That ain't that much money, and it would have possibly prevented the Hamilton signing, and for sure if he declined have led to getting a first round pick from the Tigers. 

Never understood the Hamilton signing.   I have seen all the rationalizations for it, just doesn't really make sense to me.   Sure Torii was a risk to implode, you could argue that based on his multiple issues, Hamilton was an even greater risk to do the same.

That being said -- I bet Hamilton gets unbored and has another above average season or two before he bolts.

How was signing Burnett a miss by Dipoto? Burnett has been remarkably durable and good basically his whole career. Dipoto was supposed to know he was going to get hurt? Madson I agree on.

How about because he was unable to even throw a ball when he was signed?   The dude was coming off elbow surgery...   He was HURT when they signed him, just like Madson.

If you want to know the reason why people get fired up on Scioscia, look no further than today's lineup.

Yeah, why would Sosh keep a guy that had two hits and a home run last night in the lineup.

Can we at least have rational criticisms please.

Never understood the Hamilton signing.   I have seen all the rationalizations for it, just doesn't really make sense to me.   Sure Torii was a risk to implode, you could argue that based on his multiple issues, Hamilton was an even greater risk to do the same.

That being said -- I bet Hamilton gets unbored and has another above average season or two before he bolts.

Exactly what I am thinking.   If somehow Hamilton can have just 2 good seasons, then they should be able to find a trade partner with just 2 years to go (throwing in say $20 million total).    Because I don't trust that he can hit like that by ages 35/36. 

Who acquired Cowgill?

You are mad that the manager is playing somebody the GM acquired, but it's not the GM's fault.

You're missing the point, and something tells me you're doing this on purpose. You understand what is being explained but have to contradict everything. The point is that this season is over. Calhoun has a chance to be a part of the Angels future next season and beyond. Cowgill will probably never play another game for the Angels after this season. We should be prepping for the future and seeing what youngsters with potential can bring to the table. We should not be playing washed up veterans with little MLB talent like Brad Hawpe and Colin Cowgill. That helps no one.

You're missing the point, and something tells me you're doing this on purpose. You understand what is being explained but have to contradict everything. The point is that this season is over. Calhoun has a chance to be a part of the Angels future next season and beyond. Cowgill will probably never play another game for the Angels after this season. We should be prepping for the future and seeing what youngsters with potential can bring to the table. We should not be playing washed up veterans with little MLB talent like Brad Hawpe and Colin Cowgill. That helps no one.

Or maybe I just disagree with the argument.  Sometimes it's just that simple.

It has been widely reported that Hamilton and Pujols were Arte's decisions.

Dipoto traded for Skaggs, he didn't trade him.  I think you mean Chatwood?  Chatwood was beyond horrible with the Angels.  Maybe you should blame the pitching coach.

Dipoto was expected to know that Vargas would get a freak blood clot and that Hanson's brother would die?

Again, who would you propose they could have made the team better with?  Relievers weren't out there.

It's been widely speculated that Hamilton and Pujols were Arte's decisions. Arte decides whether or not the money can be spent on those monster contracts, he doesn't decide on who to pursue. Those decisions were the GM's and frankly, there were very few people who criticized either of those moves outside of the amount of money. The notion that those acquisitions were Arte's doing and not Dipoto's is baloney.

As for the harsh criticism of Dipoto, well so far he hasn't been all that great but I think people have to realize that what this team needs for its long term health is not going to happen overnight. It's going to take several years to replenish the farm system. Last year's draft was a step in the right direction. In the meantime, we have to continue to look for pieces that can keep the team competitive. Outside of Blanton, I think the players Dipoto brought in had reasonable expectations to produce - unfortunately, that hasn't happened for the most part.  Aside from the constant bitching about how bad this team is top to bottom, there are a number of good pieces on this team that can be built upon and this team can be competitive, build toward the future and not have to dismantle the team in the process. Finding good top of the rotation pitching is one of the hardest prospects for a GM. Pitching continues to be a premium so trades for pitching require a lot in return (unless we want to stock our team with a bunch of Blantons). Veteran FA pitching is expensive and most often over rated. I don't think there were a lot of quality arms to choose from last year on the trade market, and the organization is thin with trade value prospects which means, if we are going to trade for a good arm, we are going to have to trade one (or more) of our quality position players to get them. And without much on the farm to replace them in the lineup, it just creates another difficult hole to fill in order for the team to realize a net gain on the trade. A thin pitcher market makes Dipoto's job to shore up the pitching situation difficult to say the least.

Oh and MT, the Rangers wanted to resign Hamilton. They played hardball with the contract expecting to get a chance to make a counter offer but didn't want to bid against themselves and pay more than they had to (like they have done in the past). Hamilton didn't give them that opportunity.