• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels General Manager

Weird that the Rangers didn't resign Hamilton.  Maybe they saw something Dipoto didn't.  However, even if Hamilton did turn it around it was still a bad contract.

Weird that the Rangers tried to re-sign Hamilton but didn't want to spend the amount of money that Arte did.

Bad contract? It's 5 years. 2 years less than what everyone in Major League Baseball thought he was going to get. Bad contract? Now you are just hating.

Why don't you give Sosh the same slack you give Dipoto.  When it's Dipoto, performance is on the player, when it's Sosh, it's his fault.

At least Sosh has a resume of a winner.  What resume does Dipoto have.  I think you are cutting the wrong guy slack.

I gave Scioscia three years, I will give Dipoto the same.

13 years of Scioscia's stank all over this org, Dipoto has barely had a year and a half.

Why don't you give Sosh the same slack you give Dipoto.  When it's Dipoto, performance is on the player, when it's Sosh, it's his fault.

At least Sosh has a resume of a winner.  What resume does Dipoto have.  I think you are cutting the wrong guy slack.

So does Ozzie Guillen.

Sosh has been getting some slack for a while now.  Not necessarily from this board but in general. 

As far as I can tell Dipoto has not made one good move for the long term benefit of this organization.

He has made several poor moves, but not one good one.  The draft may have been good, so that is a plus.  Green may pan out, but that move was just made.

I think 2014 should be his very last chance to improve the long term prospects of this team.  Personally, I would have already fired him.

I agree 100%.

2014 is a make it or break it year for him and he has to make some moves to make the whole organization better even if it means having to go through another losing season.

So... what has Dipoto done?

Drafted Michael Roth

Traded Tyler Chatwood for Chris Iannetta

Signed Albert Pujols and CJ Wilson as FA

Traded Donn Roach and Alexi Amarista for Ernesto Frieri

Traded Jean Segura and Johnny Hellweg for Zach Greinke

Traded Ervin Santana for Brandon Sisk

Did not pick up the option on Dan Haren letting him become a FA

Signed Joe Blanton

Traded Kendrys Morales for Jason Vargas

Signed Sean Burnett

Traded Jordan Walden for Tommy Hanson

Traded Frazier Hall for Barry Enright

Signed Billy Buckner

Signed Ryan Madson

Signed Robert Coelo

Signed Daniel Stange

Signed Brad Hawpe

Signed J.B. Shuck

Traded Steve Geltz to Tampa Bay for Dane De La Rosa

Claimed Chris Nelson off waivers

Traded Kyle Johnson to the Mets for Collin Cowgill

Traded Alberto Callaspo to the A's for Grant Green

Traded Scott Downs to the Braves for Cory Rasmus

Claimed J.C. Gutierez off waivers

Claimed Tommy Field off waivers

Did I miss anyone?  More than half of the players on the 40 man roster are players that Dipoto drafted, claimed off waivers, signed via FA or traded for.

Jerry Dipoto doesn't have a magic wand that he can just wave and make everything better in one fell swoop.

Developing and improving an organization takes time and effort. If we don't start to see improvements by the 2015 season then consider replacing him. Very few GM's have ever just walked into a job and have had a great team already on the field. GM's usually come in when the previous GM f**ked things up.

Weird that the Rangers tried to re-sign Hamilton but didn't want to spend the amount of money that Arte did.

Bad contract? It's 5 years. 2 years less than what everyone in Major League Baseball thought he was going to get. Bad contract? Now you are just hating.

Right, I'm the only one who thinks the Hamilton contract was bad.

I am generally willing to support Dipoto because of what he was handed, but I agree there has to be some semblance of improvement and we just haven't seen much.

He's had one offseason to improve the SP with no farm system and 2 to make the pen better with little farm system.

I say one offseason to improve the SP because when he started, the rotation was set sans Wilson and bringing him in has actually been ok.  It has made the team better. 

His first offseason he was tasked to making the pen better yet it got worse and ended up one of the worst in baseball and in my opinion was the main reason we missed the playoffs last year. 

This last offseason he had some opportunities to make the SP better albeit likely average overall at best and he's failed on that front.  I don't blame him for the injuries and I give him some grace considering that he had to replace 3 starting pitchers.  The Vargas move was a good one but he failed on Hanson and Blanton big time. 

On top of that he was tasked with a massive lack of depth should injuries occur and they did exposing this massive weakness.  Although you can't totally blame him for not supplying organizational depth in 2 years.

On the pen side of things, year one he brought in Izzy and Hawkins who failed to solidify anything.  Frieri was a decent pickup but the shortcomings were still clearly evident

Last offseason I still felt he didn't address the pen enough even though I liked the Burnett signing.  The Madson deal was a total failure and in my opinion a bigger deal than most recognize.  I don't blame him for Burnett's injury.  Leaving himself little resources to address the pen was also a mistake although he has found a couple of diamonds in the rough but most of his dumpster dives have failed.

So, is the team's pitching staff in a better position in the later stage of 2013 and going into 2014 than it was last year?  Nope, and he loses a ton of credit on that front.

The team clearly would have been better off spending Hamilton and Blanton's money on Sanchez and whoever else and getting some additional bullpen help and the team would have much better.  Of course, who knows how that truly would have turned out.

At the current time, next years pitching staff includes

Weaver

Wilson

Blanton

Hanson

Williams

Richards

Frieri

Jepsen

Kohn

DDLR

Maronde

Burnett

So essentially we are back where we started with less payroll flexibility to address those needs

Weaver, Wilson and needing three additional SP

Frieri, Burnett, Jepsen, Kohn, Maronde, DDLR needing a legit closer and probably one more very good reliever with one of Blanton, Hanson or Williams becoming the long man.  Maybe Morin and Rasmus can help make things better on the relief side

But there isn't an internal SP option in sight that will help this team next year or perhaps even the following year. 

So yes, Dipoto gets one more year to improve things.  If there is visibile improvement to the state of this org from a pitching standpoint by the end of 2014, then I will give him another year.  If not, he's done.

As long as this topic is being revived for the millionth time, Scioscia makes a lot of in-game mistakes and not once, to my knowledge, has he admitted he was wrong.

As much as I hate the standard Scioscia postgame babble, that's just his thing.  He rarely admits fault or places blame, and sticks to banalities.

The move for Frieri was great. He wasn't supposed to be the closer. It's not DiPoto's fault that the rest of the pen sucked so bad that Frieri pitched himself into that position. I still think he's a better set up guy than closer. But to say that wasn't a good move is just hating on his recent outings.

Ya nothing is ever Dipoto's fault..

Part of being the GM is evaluating talent, and minimizing mistakes.   that's what we pay scouts for isnt it?

Dipoto should have known Burnett always had a history of nagging injuries, everyone else did....but he signed him anyways.  He should have known Hamilton hit like .150 after the month of may, instead he gave him 125m based on his entire year.

He should have known CJ was overrated, the players even polled it,but he signed him anyways.

He should have known to get a real closer after what happened in 2012, he didnt.........and the list goes on and on.

As far as I can tell Dipoto has not made one good move for the long term benefit of this organization.

He has made several poor moves, but not one good one.  The draft may have been good, so that is a plus.  Green may pan out, but that move was just made.

I think 2014 should be his very last chance to improve the long term prospects of this team.  Personally, I would have already fired him.

Have to disagree. I think he needs more time and we still don't know if he and Scioscia see eye to eye. If not, his job is harder. Similar to Reagins, I just think some of his moves haven't panned out although I really liked most of them.

The only two I was wary about was Vargas (which I could understand) and the universally panned Blanton pickup. Even if it was his idea to get Pujols and Hamilton, can he really be blamed for their sudden downfall? I don't see the Angels making any big moves like that in the near future.

I have to see what's done this offseason to give more credence to his firing.

I gave Scioscia three years, I will give Dipoto the same.

13 years of Scioscia's stank all over this org, Dipoto has barely had a year and a half.

Including the best run of any Angels manager and our only World Series and championship.

I'll take that stank any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

and xboom calls me the hater.

Ya nothing is ever Dipoto's fault..

Part of being the GM is evaluating talent, and minimizing mistakes.   that's what we pay scouts for isnt it?

Dipoto should have known Burnett always had a history of nagging injuries, everyone else did....but he signed him anyways.  He should have known Hamilton hit like .150 after the month of may, instead he gave him 125m based on his entire year.

He should have known CJ was overrated, the players even polled it,but he signed him anyways.

He should have known to get a real closer after what happened in 2012, he didnt.........and the list goes on and on.

Never said DiPoto hasn't been at fault with anything. But chastising him for not predicting the future is ludicrous

And he hasn't done shit since 2009.  He failed to get past the ALCS after 2002 and only got back to the ALCS twice.

At what point do people stop judging him by what he did long in the past?  Is it absurd to think that managers lose their talent over time?

I'm fine with him not coming back.  Just think it's ludicrous to call his entire run stank.  Even if the past is the past, try not to rewrite it please.

Including the best run of any Angels manager and our only World Series and championship.

I'll take that stank any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

and xboom calls me the hater.

The world series was 11 years ago.  I'll always be appreciative of what Scioscia has done for the team but man, that was a while ago.  I just think it's time to move on and stop dancing with a memory.