• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any promotions coming soon?

I don't think its a matter of Cron "exciting" anyone, but that he projects to being a major leaguer, even if "only" an average one. We tend to get a bit jaded, that if a prospect isn't a future star then he's not worth talking about.

If Scotty is right and Cron turns out to be a .270, 25+ HR hitter in the majors, then he'll have a decent career as a first baseman or DH on a second tier team. Not too shabby. Think Adam LaRoche.

I don't think its a matter of Cron "exciting" anyone, but that he projects to being a major leaguer, even if "only" an average one. We tend to get a bit jaded, that if a prospect isn't a future star then he's not worth talking about.

If Scotty is right and Cron turns out to be a .270, 25+ HR hitter in the majors, then he'll have a decent career as a first baseman or DH on a second tier team. Not too shabby. Think Adam LaRoche.

If he becomes a .270/25 HR guy he will make a lot of money...   Power numbers aren't what they used to be, a steady 25 HR guy will have some real value.

I'm not ready to say Borentein's a better prospect than Cron, but I am reminded of certain red-haired player who went 2-4 last night with a walk who also wasn't expected to be much of a prospect when he was in the low minors. Actually, Borenstein's a little further ahead of Calhoun, who was 23 in A+ ball. Of course Calhoun skipped AA and I don't think Borenstein will do that.

Team colors are red. Both players heads are red.

Just call us Ginger Nation.

I think AJ has it right, I'm not sure anyone sees Cron as a future superstar, but he should be a starting 1B in the major leagues somewhere.  There are a handful of guys he's probably better than that are seeing significant time.  Ty Wiggington, the aged version of Mark Teixeira, Carlos Pena, Mark Reynolds, Lyle Overbay, Logan Morrison, Todd Frazier, Ike Davis.

How I envision Cron developing, I'd put him on par with the likes of Matt Adams, Garrett Jones or Justin Smoak.  These guys aren't superstars, though Adams and Smoak might be someday.  But they're serviceable 1B.  Cron should be a serviceable 1B. 

• 10 years later...
On 7/31/2013 at 2:45 PM, Toby Ziegler said:

Witherspoon, Cowart, Lindsey, Cron, and Grichuk have shown what they can do. Collectively and objectively they've been disappointing, with the lone exception of Lindsey. Cowart was rushed to AA. He should have started the season in High-A, and Brian Hernandez should have started the season in AA. It's time for the next wave of prospects to strut their stuff.

If there were an AW.com HOF for most times being wrong in one post -- this would be one of the first to be enshrined. 

41 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If there were an AW.com HOF for most times being wrong in one post -- this would be one of the first to be enshrined. 

Which is ironic, since the character Toby Ziegler was never wrong on The West Wing.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Was it Borenstein's brother or cousin that @Second Base got into a squabble with? I just remember that person saying that Borenstein was going to hit 30 HR a year in the majors, or some such.

Brother. I comp'd his brother to Daniel Nava and he lost it. 

Also, my .270 25 HR prediction for Cron proved to be a solid one. 162 game average of .260 and 29 HR. That's pretty much exactly who he was in his prime. 

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Brother. I comp'd his brother to Daniel Nava and he lost it. 

Also, my .270 25 HR prediction for Cron proved to be a solid one. 162 game average of .260 and 29 HR. That's pretty much exactly who he was in his prime. 

True, props on that. 

I forgot about Daniel Nava.