• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any promotions coming soon?

Borenstein isn't going to AA, although he should already be there, as should Yarbrough, Stamets, and Snyder. The organization gave him an ultimatum. If he wants to go to AA, he has to play in the field, which he feels he's not ready to do yet. It's okay for him to DH in Advanced-A but not in AA.

Makes no sense.

Borenstein isn't going to AA, although he should already be there, as should Yarbrough, Stamets, and Snyder. The organization gave him an ultimatum. If he wants to go to AA, he has to play in the field, which he feels he's not ready to do yet. It's okay for him to DH in Advanced-A but not in AA.

Makes no sense.

And where are Yarbrough and Snyder expected to play?

And where are Yarbrough and Snyder expected to play?

Promote Lindsey and Cron to AAA. Lindsey appears ready, at any rate. Not sure about Cron. Grant Green has nothing more to prove in the minors. I'd have him fill in for Kendrick and Aybar whenever they need rest. One of them could still be traded, too. That would simplify things. Or they could always have Green go back to SS in AAA. Between Romine and Green, one of them needs to be with the big club, IMO.

The point is Borenstein, Snyder, Yarbrough, and Stamets have nothing more to prove in High-A. Their success should be rewarded with a promotion. Staying in High-A does nothing for their development.

Witherspoon, Cowart, Lindsey, Cron, and Grichuk have shown what they can do. Collectively and objectively they've been disappointing, with the lone exception of Lindsey. Cowart was rushed to AA. He should have started the season in High-A, and Brian Hernandez should have started the season in AA. It's time for the next wave of prospects to strut their stuff.

Really no reason to promote anyone with only 15 games left.  All teams have a shot at the post season except the Burlington Bees. I don't think Lindsey will ever see AAA, he'll be at 2B for the Angels next season.  Cron will go to AAA and kill everything so that his value will inflate, same goes for Grichuk.  

Next year we'll really see what some of our prospects are made of.  Cowart should repeat AA and we'll be looking for some growth in contact ability from the left-sdie as well as pitch recognition.  We'll find out if Borenstein's power can play up a level, lots of skepticism given the stark difference in his abilities between a hitting friendly park and pitching friendly park.  Snyder will need to show he can make consistent contact.  

I think Yarbrough and Stamets will probably have the easiest transition given their abilities to adjust and make contact after spending no time in A Ball. Of course this is assuming Yarbrough isn't dealt, which I'm not sure of.  

I'm looking forward to seeing who we have headed to the Arizona Fall League.  They usually take three, that either need more time or have something to work on and prove in that league.  Yarbrough, Stamets and Borenstein/Snyder sound fine to me.  We may also see Alvarez and Morin over there. 

Really no reason to promote anyone with only 15 games left.  All teams have a shot at the post season except the Burlington Bees. I don't think Lindsey will ever see AAA, he'll be at 2B for the Angels next season.  Cron will go to AAA and kill everything so that his value will inflate, same goes for Grichuk.  

Next year we'll really see what some of our prospects are made of.  Cowart should repeat AA and we'll be looking for some growth in contact ability from the left-sdie as well as pitch recognition.  We'll find out if Borenstein's power can play up a level, lots of skepticism given the stark difference in his abilities between a hitting friendly park and pitching friendly park.  Snyder will need to show he can make consistent contact.  

I think Yarbrough and Stamets will probably have the easiest transition given their abilities to adjust and make contact after spending no time in A Ball. Of course this is assuming Yarbrough isn't dealt, which I'm not sure of.  

I'm looking forward to seeing who we have headed to the Arizona Fall League.  They usually take three, that either need more time or have something to work on and prove in that league.  Yarbrough, Stamets and Borenstein/Snyder sound fine to me.  We may also see Alvarez and Morin over there. 

Borenstein

.318/.385/.563 at home

.347/.384/.714 on the road

Cron last year

.264/.301/.384 at home

.318/.349/.629 on the road

If you want to talk about stark differences...

Lots of skepticism, indeed.

We also have to remember that Cron played his college home games at a 4400 foot altitude (U of Utah), while Borenstein played his at an altitude not that much above sea level. 

The Sixers home and road games numbers between Borenstein and Cron (especially the home games) are a contrast.    To be blunt, Cron's home numbers were terrible.

Plus Borenstein was a year younger.

Borenstein does show much better in game hitting skill, including better plate discipline.   Both players showed great run producing skill in high-A ball (close to 1 rbi per game).

He also gives the org a much needed lefty hitting presence, since with Hamilton stinking it up, we only have Calhoun, and switch-hitters Conger and Aybar who can hit left-handed. 

Why is Cron ranked so highly?   He doesn't have good plate discipline.   He doesn't have good home numbers.    He can't play in the field.     He may have prodigious power, but it doesn't translate that well into game action. 

Summary:  If Cron is ranked in the top 5 this coming off-season, Borenstein should be close by if not equal.    I would only not put him ahead of Cron because Cron is one level higher currently.    But I am being swayed towards preferring Borenstein over Cron going forward, based on the numbers and past background. 

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to move anyone at this point with so few games remaining, unless they are part of the MLB roster expansion in September.  Let players finish out the season in the environment they are in and continue to flourish if they are doing well (keep the confidence level high) or try to finish on a high note/keep working on adjustments for those who haven't performed as well.  If there are players who are injured, no point in shuffling them around.  Patience is a good quality.

To each his own AO and Toby Zigler.  But I think you can ask just about any scout and they'll give the same answer.  C.J. Cron is a better prospect than Zack Borenstein.  He has more power, has a better hit tool and if everything goes right, should probably be a starting 1B in the majors around age 24-25.  Borenstein is 23 years old in A Ball and if he does make the major leagues, he's going to need to beat out younger, more physically gifted players.  I'm not saying he won't do it, I'm just saying his journey will have considerable roadblocks prventing him from ever being an everyday player in the big leagues. 

They're both ranked within my own Top 30, and hopefully among everyone's Top 30 because Borenstein's earned it.  But on my own personal list, these two prospects are separated by about 15 in between. The fact is Borenstein is likely 10th on the Angels depth chart in terms of OF and it's likely he'd be around the same spot in most other organizations.  That's a lot of players he'll need to beat out.  I wish him the best of luck, just keep hitting like he has and improve in some other areas and he'll do it. 

It's Zach, not Zack btw.

I think my opinion on scouts is pretty well-documented here. I could care less if they or you think Cron is the better prospect; reality tells a different tale.

I would separate Zach from Cron by about 15 as well, only it would go the other way. As always, respectfully but firmly agree to disagree. 

I'm not ready to say Borentein's a better prospect than Cron, but I am reminded of certain red-haired player who went 2-4 last night with a walk who also wasn't expected to be much of a prospect when he was in the low minors. Actually, Borenstein's a little further ahead of Calhoun, who was 23 in A+ ball. Of course Calhoun skipped AA and I don't think Borenstein will do that.

Not all players who went to a smaller college suffer from lack of attention (see Brian Anderson, Wright St., being drafted 3rd overall in 1995).

But it can be a deterrent to geting the proper recognition early on. 

Zach's 2013 season, including an adjustment made while DHing, has made a believer out of me. 

I like the parallel AJ.  Two different players but I certainly see where you're going with it.  To be fair for Calhoun, He has greater gap to gap power while Borenstein puts the ball over the wall better.  But the reason Calhoun made a believer of so many also had to do with the fact that his pitch recognition and plate discipline were flat out excellent as was his defense.  This is why we never saw Calhoun in AA.  Borenstein still  has some growth to do in these areas so AA would definitely be a worthwile stop for him.  Calhoun was ready for a backup job in the majors straight out of the Cal League.  Borenstein is still going to need a couple years more of development before he's where Calhoun was, but he'll get there.