• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why are you an Angels Fan?

Moved from New Jersey when I was 6 years old to Long Beach for a short while then to Garden Grove. Dad was a Yankee fan and mom a Dodger fan.

Being in Garden Grove we went to more Angel games than Dodger games so, they became my team. My twin brother became a Dodger fan. I would like to thank my parents for getting me interested at an early age in Baseball and more specifically the Angels.

It's a family tradition. . . .Dad and Gramps used to go to Wrigley Field, in LA, to see the PCL Angels; and when Gene Autry was granted the new AL franchise in 1961, Dad automatically began following them.  He took all 8 of his kids to Angel games (not too often), and the grand-kids were taken to games by their parents, and now the great-grandkids are being raised as Angel fans (except for the 5 that live in Texas, they root for the Rangers, but we just let that slide).

Split allegiance as a kid between Dodgers n Angels (as a matter of favt my first world series game was in 81? Dodgers vs. Yankees-i dont remember much about it though)...in 93, I finally got my own car and Salmon was a rookie and living in Bellflower, Anaheim was 15 minutes away. Salmon hooked me...the 95 team sucked me in and broke my heart - something every true fan needs to endure to cement their fandom, an initiation of sorts. I tried swearing off the team but 98 sucked me back in and then I bought season tickets (section 237 row a seats 1-4) ...its been a part of me that I can just never shake.

For those who really care to know...

Started watching baseball in 1999, I was about 15 years old and was already a huge Lakers and Kings fan but was sick of the long boring off-season summers. So I gave baseball a try! I watched both the Angels and Dodgers, trying to figure out which one to root for more. When it came down to it, I preferred the AL over the NL thanks to the DH. Always thought the NL was more boring with the pitcher having to bat, (because it meant an easy out 95% of the time).

So yeah.. just started liking the Angels more than the Dodgers. AL/NL, why can I watch both right? Then when the Halos won in 2002, I saw how obnoxious and stubborn Dodgers fans turned to be, I hated them even more. Now it's the Angels all the way and I absolutely despise the Dodgers and hope they fail as bad as the Cubs do from here on out.

This is a bit complicated because I'm a Rangers fan.  My parents are from Tioga, Texas, which is also the hometown of Gene Autry, So years ago while the Rangers were annually hopeless I started following the Angels a little.  My favorite Angel at the time was Don Baylor, who I had actually seen play a couple of times when he was a minor leaguer (Dallas-Ft. Worth Spurs) in the Orioles chain.  Anyway, I've seen about five games in Anaheim (all of them against the Rangers) and I've always enjoyed the atmosphere.  Cordial fans, clean and comfortable stadium, etc.  Also, I'm a longtime reader of this board -- the sense of humor on here beats anything tthe various Rangers boards offer.  Stopping by here is always liable to give me a good laugh, so keep up the good work.       

Born and raised in Anaheim so it's in my blood. My grandpa, who was the man who raised me and is the best man ever to exist in the history of ever (not-biased), got me into it and we'd watch games and eat watermelon. We would judge the depth of Spiezio's hits by how many teeth he showed in his smile at bat. After battling a massive heart attack, hospital stay, and a baseball-watching home recovery during the 2002 season, he so kindly stayed alive to see us win the world series that year and then passed away at the beginning of the 2003 season. I'm still mad at him for that but I continue eating watermelon and watching/going to the games. GO HALOS!

Well I've been in Anaheim my whole life so that is a big reason why. My dad is a Giants fan, who likes the Angels as well now. Mom was a Dodger fan growing up. I believe my first game was in 1999 when I was 5 years old and I remember how obnoxious the Yankees fans were and my family decided that we better leave the game. Funny how some things don't change. 2002 was a lot of fun even though I don't remember it as well as some might on here. Vlad was a big part of me getting hooked on the Angels and I really started going to a ton of games starting in 2008 when I got the ok to go to games without my parents. I've been a huge fan ever since and get to about 25-30 games a year.

I started playing junior baseball for my home town near Melbourne after a mate got me to come down to practice one night in 1992. I was immediately hooked on the game of baseball from then on.

So I had to choose a team. It just worked out that we were getting one game a week on TV here at the time (not even live) and that week it was an Angels game. I can't even remember if we won or who we played, but I was impressed with them and have been a die-hard fan ever since.

I collected baseball cards (have started again now) and everything, I got the annual baseball magazines and would read them cover to cover multiple times. I had a California Angels fitted road hat from when it was the CA logo, way before all the hipsters and swag fags were wearing them! It cost me a fortune and I had to get it specially ordered through the only baseball equipment store in the city, of course there was no internet shopping back then (The only baseball news we got was the scores in the paper and sometimes a "play if the day" on the tv news if it was a slow news day). It must have come by boat or something because it took weeks. It was like xmas when it finally arrived!

They had pretty uniforms ^_^

No but seriously, I became a fan in 1998 for 2 reasons:

1. It was my first T-ball team

2. An Angels game was the first baseball game I ever watched on T.V. and the first stadium I went to. And I live in Sacramento.

So I guess it just stuck with me :)

My Godfather pitched for The Yankees back in the 50s. My whole family, being from the Bronx, were Dodger fans, except of course my GodFather. After he retired from baseball, he and the rest of my family moved to So Cal. The Dodgers also moved around the same time. The Angels also became a major league team around the same time and he adopted them as his second team. He was a Yankee first, but Angel second. Since I was very little, he would take me to Angels games, since his house was right around the corner from Angel Stadium. He also taught me to hate The Dodgers. It was him and I vs the rest of the family. Good times.

My favorite player growing up was Bobby Grich.

Even growing up in Orange County in the 70's it was hard. My whole family were Dodgers fans but I couldn't stand the fat, noisy 3rd base coach or the phony Mr Clean guy playing 1B. Went to a few games at the Big A and I was hooked. Long live Ryan and Tanana.

In '79 they finally won the division so at least my insufferable Dodger loving friends and family had to shut up for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this tells my age but it's true.  During the expansion when the Angels came into being the Yanks had Mantle and Maris going at it big time.  The Angels seemed to be on TV constantly that year with them and I started pulling for the underdog.  They hit the heck out of the ball and I loved the zany characters on the team.  Albie Pearson, Steve Bilko Leon Wagner etc.  I got an Angels cap and schoolmates testified that I always wore it to school which was rare back then.  Then when I was stationed out there I got to see a bunch of games live.  I plan some of my vacations around them playing on the East coast.  The Halos have cost me a bunch of money:)  When we won the big one in 2002 the media tracked me down for an interview because I was the Angels fan in town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I grew up around Dodgers being from LA, and honestly I would be a Dodger today if it weren't for the fans. First time I ever had interaction with Dodger fans at a stadium they annoyed the shit out of me and they still do. I'm glad to be a Halo and will be an Angel forever!!!!!!