• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cardinals have inquired about Aybar

nate

Aybar accumulated more WAR than any shortstop in baseball from 2011 to 2012. He is durable and signed to an extremely club friendly deal. If I were dipoto, I would probably insist on one of these two pitching prospects as merely a starting point for any deal.

Martinez and Wacha are both near major league ready.    

Both have been up to the majors.  Wacha as a starter, Martinez as a reliever.  They have some great outings and they also  both got roughed up pretty bad in others.   They aren't quite ready.

Both have top of the rotation potential.     Both are likely to be in STL's rotation in 2014.

As a Cards fan, I wouldn't want to lose either one for Aybar.  He's an upgrade over Kozma, sure.  But not enough to justify losing either of those two pitchers.  There are other pitching prospects I'd rather see go before either Martinez or Wacha.

Interesting Tidbit: Wacha was obtained in the 2012 draft in the spot the Cards received for losing Pujols to the Angels.

Disagree.

Check this out from Sickles:

"It is difficult for a first round pick to exceed expectations, but Michael Wacha has done that. Drafted 19th overall out of Texas A&M last June, Wacha was a durable and often dominant college workhorse with a 90-94 MPH fastball and an outstanding changeup. He also has a solid curveball and slider, and he proved he could hold up to a heavy workload in college without ill effect. The Cardinals didn't want to push his innings count too far, so they used him in relief after he signed, with stunning results. His velocity kicked up a notch, to 94-97, and he still maintained the solid secondary arsenal. His command has always been impressive, and the resulting 40/4 K/BB ratio in his first 21 professional innings took even the optimists by surprise. Wacha will return to starting in 2013 and it will be interesting to see how much of the new velocity he holds. Even if he goes back to "just" 90-94, his wide array of pitches and sharp command should get him to the majors quickly. He projects as a number three starter and quite possibly more. Grade B+."

That was before this season where Wacha has done nothing but shove it.  MLB has him at #18 prospect in all of baseball.

Carlos Martinez from BP last month:

"

Scouting Report: Martinez has always drawn considerable praise for his exceptional fastball. He consistently sits in the 94-97 mph range with his four-seamer and has regularly touched 99 mph in the past. Even his sinking two-seamer has excellent velocity, sitting in the 92-93 mph range and touching 95 when he wants a little more. Martinez likes to attack with his fastball and shows the ability to move it around the zone when he doesn’t overthrow. To back up up his fastball, Martinez offers both a very good curveball and changeup. His curveball will occasionally work as a plus pitch with tight rotation and good depth.

As if that weren’t enough, Martinez’s changeup could be a second legitimate plus-plus offering. He has tremendous arm speed when throwing it, affording him excellent deception. Martinez routinely throws strikes with all three pitches and over the last two seasons has developed his ability to work outside the zone and make the “pitcher’s pitch.” If the Cardinals decide to keep Martinez in the bullpen long term, he could become an All-Star-level closer. But many scouts still believe Martinez has a future as a no. 2 starter in a championship rotation."

Sorry, but both of these guys don't miss bats the way a top of the rotation starter should. They're solid, but not "ACE" potential. 

Chuck - they have the potential to miss bats.  Remember, they are young and will mature and season in a few years. 

Martinez certainly has top of the rotation potential and can miss bats.  Just needs more experience.  What makes you assume he isnt a K pitcher?  He throws high 90s, like 95+ and has an awesome change and good curve.  I think you are totally wrong on your assessment.  Nothing I've seen, read or heard has ever alluded to him not being a strike out pitcher.

Wacha will also be a very good ML pitcher, he just needs to work on his secondary pitches a bit more and he'll be ready to go.  I think he has the potential to be a very good starter, say a solid #2 type.

Honestly, the Angels would be fortunate to get either of these guys (along with the ever elusive PTBNL) for Aybar.  However, I am certain it isnt going to happen.  I dont see the Cards giving up either of these for Aybar.

If it was Joe Kelly and Ryan Jackson for Aybar, then there might be a deal.  But, one of these two isnt happening.