• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hopeful of landing Ian Kennedy

nate

read my post above. Doesn't sound like Trumbo is involved.  Would probably be someone like Calhoun.  Trumbo for Kennedy would be a horrible deal for the Angels.

Horrible?  Doubtful.   Trumbo isn't that good despite his HR totals.  Kennedy isn't bad, despite his current ERA.   

If I'm the Diamondbacks, I want Bourjos or Calhoun.  If I'm the Angels, I'm not dealing either, unless the Diamondbacks sweeten the pot somehow.  

He wasn't pulled from the lineup.  He was omitted, via the Scioscia is braindead clause.

I highly doubt the Angels trade Calhoun for someone like Kennedy.... barring other major pieces to the deal.

Calhoun for Kennedy makes sense to me.  At best Calhoun is a 4th OF here with Trout, Bourjos, and Hamilton all signed long term.  SP is at a premium, so giving up an OF who hasn't proven anything in the big leagues yet and has only a moderate ceiling, for a major league SP only 2 years removed from being very good, sounds about right.

Horrible?  Doubtful.   Trumbo isn't that good despite his HR totals.  Kennedy isn't bad, despite his current ERA.   

If I'm the Diamondbacks, I want Bourjos or Calhoun.  If I'm the Angels, I'm not dealing either, unless the Diamondbacks sweeten the pot somehow.  

You don't think Trumbo for Kennedy is that bad for the Angels, but you wouldn't want them to give up Calhoun?!?!? what??

The Diamondbacks won't deal Kennedy for Calhoun, straight up.  

agreed that probably doesn't get it done, but Calhoun and another prospect might.  Don't think it will take any ML talent.  Remember, AZ is really trying to clear room for Peavy.  Kennedy doesn't have much value to them at all.

You don't think Trumbo for Kennedy is that bad for the Angels, but you wouldn't want them to give up Calhoun?!?!? what??

Could be bad, but I think Kennedy bounces back, and I don't think Trumbo is that good.  He seemed to make some improvements this year, but lately has slipped.  There may be a couple peak years yet to come where he hits 40 HR and slugs .550, but that's being pretty optimistic.  

If it is Trumbo, the Diamondbacks add more.  If it is Calhoun, the Angels add more.   I'd rather explore the Trumbo side.  

Question:  Why do people think Kennedy is good? Is it because of his name?

I'm not that excited about them getting Kennedy, but he does have reclamation project potential (cue the Butcher jokes), and the Angels presumably wouldn't be giving up any ML talent for him.  And if worset case scenario he sucks, he's off the books in a couple years.  And you still have the ability to trade Aybar/Kendrick for more SP in the next 24 hours (and beyond).  Angels aren't just 1 SP shy of a good rotation, they're 2 or 3.

Question:  Why do people think Kennedy is good? Is it because of his name?

He was good two years ago (although he outdid his peripherals a bit), then lost velocity and has been not good. However his velocity is up almost 1 mph this season and his peripherals, while still not great, are improving slightly. It is an inexpensive reclimation project for us Scott. I think the Angels see some improvements and possible mechanical changes that could be made to bring him back to being a better pitcher.

Could be bad, but I think Kennedy bounces back, and I don't think Trumbo is that good.  He seemed to make some improvements this year, but lately has slipped.  There may be a couple peak years yet to come where he hits 40 HR and slugs .550, but that's being pretty optimistic.  

If it is Trumbo, the Diamondbacks add more.  If it is Calhoun, the Angels add more.   I'd rather explore the Trumbo side.  

I'm inclined to agree with you on Trumbo, as I think he's a one dimensional player, BUT I think you're underestimating the value he has to other teams.  We're talking about a super cheap, relatively young guy, with proven 30+ HR power in the bigs.  That's nothing to sneeze at.

He was good two years ago (although he outdid his peripherals a bit), then lost velocity and has been not good. However his velocity is up almost 1 mph this season and his peripherals, while still not great, are improving slightly. It is an inexpensive reclimation project for us Scott. I think the Angels see some improvements and possible mechanical changes that could be made to bring him back to being a better pitcher.

Agree with this, but why in the world would we offer any value i.e. Calhoun?

I'm not that excited about them getting Kennedy, but he does have reclamation project potential (cue the Butcher jokes), and the Angels presumably wouldn't be giving up any ML talent for him.  And if worset case scenario he sucks, he's off the books in a couple years.  And you still have the ability to trade Aybar/Kendrick for more SP in the next 24 hours (and beyond).  Angels aren't just 1 SP shy of a good rotation, they're 2 or 3.

If they had kept Corbin and/or signed Greinke after giving away Segura for a 2-month rental... different story.

Kennedy would be a better option than Blanton and Hanson. 

Trumbo has hit around .220 for the past year but people think he is untradeable (unless you get an Ace). However, Kennedy sucks because he hasn't been impressive in the same span. Makes sense

I think Kennedy can be excellent.  Good strikeout rate.. not much difference the last three years.  Good walk rate the two years before this one.  Home runs aren't terrible.   Arizona has generally favored hitters, too.   The guy is 28 and only has about 800 innings on him. 

Agree with this, but why in the world would we offer any value i.e. Calhoun?

I never said we would but others here have said that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Randall Grichuk moved instead.