• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now is the time to relieve Scioscia of his duties

nate

of course this has been beaten to death by me, among others. i think the best time to get rid of the entire on the field staff will be after the season is over.

not so much for bonehead strategy decisions and useless pitching coach, but to end the obvious conflict between DP and Scioscia.

these guys have conflicting philosophys on how to win baseball games. as long as both of them are in place, we can expect more of the same.

we have seen how well sciosia's boy worked out as GM. perhaps its time to see how DP's man as field manager will work out.

it would have to be better than what we're seeing now.

I think the only guys free of any blame are Trout and Weaver. Players that have performed better than I thought would are Kohn, De La Rosa, Kendrick, Conger, vargas, and Wilson as of late. Pb has been solid, he just hasn't played.

Other than that most everyone has sucked. Iannetta and Aybar have been less than stellar defensively. Callaspo had been bad. Shuck is terrible in the field. Hamilton sucks. Pujols is deteriorating. Trumbo is a great #7 hitter, not consistent enough to be a middle lineup guy. Blanton sucks. Hanson is blah. Williams has been worse than blanton lately. Frieri is soft.

Coaching wise, butcher has problems, scioscia's team has been uninspired the entire year. Ebel has even made mistakes.

This season is pretty much everyone's fault.

Isn't it possible that Scioscia has lost the desire that he had a decade back?

There is a reason that not many MLB managers have lasted more than 14 years with the same team.

Since 1950, you might be able to count them on two hands.

This is a multi tiered attack to rebuild this org, but an important tier to fix nonetheless.

Scioscia definitely needs to go. Just look at how terrible we are on the bases and in the field. Go watch a Cardinals or Braves game, and you'll see how much better they are prepared than we are. They're fundamentally sound teams. Fire the whole coaching staff in the offseason.

Isn't it possible that Scioscia has lost the desire that he had a decade back?

There is a reason that not many MLB managers have lasted more than 14 years with the same team.

Since 1950, you might be able to count them on two hands.

This is a multi tiered attack to rebuild this org, but an important tier to fix nonetheless.

been going through the motions for quite some time...

recent angel teams have not been built around the pitching, speed, defense 1960's philosophy that sciosia knows what to do with.

so rather than taking the high road he goes in the tank.

I jumped straight to the end. Let me guess, another knee jerk fire Sosh thread because Frieri blew it?

Knee jerk? LOL it's been 4 years since we've made the playoffs, and this current team is basically the laughing stock of baseball considering the payroll and how terrible they are on the field. The players have changed over the last 4 years, the GM has changed in the last 4 years, so has the hitting coach...there is one constant in our failures the last 4 years...Mike Scioscia

Now I'm not saying that Scioscia doesn't have a hand in how the team is doing - he does - but the main problems are not rooted in his managing. Actually, the irony is that the further the Angels have gotten from his style of baseball the worse they've gotten.

Right, everything is the players faults and none of it lies on Scioscia.

What part of the above did you not read? Assuming you were addressing this to me, where did I say that "none" of the blame lies with Scioscia? I simply don't believe in simplistic tar-and-feather witch-hunts.

Oregon, I agree with you.  The past few years we seem to make the same errors and blunders over and over. Base running gaffs, fielding errors, metal lapses, terrible hitting approach, missed cut-offs... the list goes on.  I can't tell if we have metal midget players or the coaching staff has ill-prepared the players. It's very frustrating.

why should a big league professional level baseball player need a coach or manager to properly prepare them for the games? Do you really think these mistakes/blunders are being made because the players aren't being prepared? If a big league player needs a coach to prepare them about the fundamentals of the game (base running, fielding, mental alertness, cut-offs, etc.) after spending time learning all of those things from the time they first began to play the game, then they are mental midgets. The role of the manager and the coaches at this level isn't to teach these professional players the fundamentals of the game. They had better be well aware and adept to all of those fundamentals at this level or they don't belong here. Mistakes and blunders aren't a result of poor coaching, they are a result of poor execution. These guys know what they should be doing in the game, sometimes their skills fail them and sometimes they make poor decisions but it's not due to a lack or preparedness or knowledge.

You have to prepare for the team you are facing and the pitcher you are facing.  They do game plan.  It isn't like they just go out there and hit and field all day.  There is tons of preparation from being physically fit, in the correct position, expecting the correct pitches or throwing the correct pitches.

Again if your assertion is that it is all the players then lets fire Dipoto and just go without a manager.  They don't need one anyway.

New manager wouldn't stop Pujols from being injured or Hamilton from sucking (though maybe a different hitting coach might).

New manager wouldn't stop Blanton from sucking.

New manager wouldn't have made our bullpen less sucky.

New manager wouldn't keep our base runners from making idiotic mistakes.

There's definitely an argument to be made for in game management decisions, but not sure it's enough to warrant a change.

That isn't the "prepare" I was addressing in response to a previous post Nate. The game plan has to do with specific opponents and knowing what their trends are to best combat them. It's not about the fundamentals of the game and it doesn't have anything to do with execution mistakes or poor decisions by the players (such as base running blunders).

And like AJ, I am not now, nor have I ever been, stating that it's all on the players or that a manager/coach doesn't do anything. But it is funny how often that canard gets thrown around.