• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grit: The key to success

T.G.

Admit it, when you saw the title of this thread - some of you chuckled... right?  Well, take ten minutes to check out the idea that grit really does matter:  Latest from True Grich There's actually some science behind it.

I know there's a lot of things going on with the trade deadline right now - but I invite you to take a break and ponder on the subject of grit. 

We would have never won the WS without David Eckstein's will to win. JB Shuck is a much needed addition to this team because of the grit he adds. The pine tar on his helmet really just symoblizes the grit exploding out of him, and Scioscia having wet dreams about being able to hit him leadoff every game. He realized that we haven't made the playoffs since Reggie Willitz was on the team, so had to replace him.

Good article and yes to 'grit does matter' . A little guy by the name of Dustin Pedroia oozes grit. 

Why because he's a 5'8 white guy who plays good defense? Is that the new definition of grit? I think the reason Pedroia is a winner is because he's a damn good player...Maybe that's just me. This team needs more talent than grit.

grit in any business seems to center around young, unproven people who want to make a name and good reputation about themselves.

in mlb oakland is a good example of this. the sacramento river cats breed good mlb players like rabbits who see they can promote to the big club and get an honest shot.

with the angels, our young talent historically has been either buried in the minors, or when brought up have been played out of position, buried in the dugout or played in meaningless situations- pinch hitting, baserunning replacement, defensive replacement.

now, with the appearent conflict between DP and Scioscia, as a young player would you want to be a part of this mess?

long term guaranteed contracts/ free agency has also wrecked grit potential.

There does seem to be very few players on this team who have either a solid baseball IQ or that extra drive.

I don't think there is that much difference when it comes to the two factors you mentioned.  I would guess that you would include Trout in that category, but he didn't seem smart enough yesterday to wear the right pair of sunglasses.  And does he have that extra drive because he is very young (with boundless energy), and playing for a big payday to come?  Shuck is playing for a job, any MLB job.  Some people would say Pujols doesn't have it because he isn't playing for a big contract to come (he already has it).  But I think he's displayed plenty of grit playing through his injuries.  Then there is someone like Callaspo, he can seem as dumb as a rock at times, trying to make plays he can't pull off and compounding errors.  But he hangs in there with some measure of grit to keep himself in a starting role.  These are just examples.

In summary, I think just about 90% of major leaguers have grit and determination, or they would have been weeded out long ago.  Baseball players are not deep thinkers, it's not really a very intelligence driven profession.  They have to often play on instinct, rote memory, and sometimes thinking too deeply just gets in the way of better performance.  I really like baseball, but I don't consider it to be an important profession to mankind in general.  It's entertainment and just a game.

I really believe if you took away the out of sight salaries players make (and limit a player's salary at $500,00 per year), not many people would quite frankly be fascinated by them, or think they are people to be idolized. It's kind of a sad commentary on our society really, you are what you make financially, i.e. we are very materialistic.

Admit it, when you saw the title of this thread - some of you chuckled... right?  Well, take ten minutes to check out the idea that grit really does matter:  Latest from True Grich There's actually some science behind it.

I know there's a lot of things going on with the trade deadline right now - but I invite you to take a break and ponder on the subject of grit. 

Very interesting.