• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many feel the Angels should give up on 2014?

I sure and the heck hope we don't have to find out.  But I'd lay money on it if the team rebuilds.

Want to take me up on it?

If the team rebuilt the right way, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me, but they've put themselves in a position where they pretty much can't rebuild.

There's no way they're going to rebuild with Pujols and Hamilton in the beginning of their contracts.

You are so off..

I applaud what teams like the Cubs and Astros are doing...

If I'm a fan of one of those teams, I get excited knowing they will be in a great position to win in 2-3 years.

Fans like you seem content with being mediocre every year, while bashing other fans for expecting more out of this org. It's rather tiresome and annoying. 

I must have hit a nerve.  Chillax pooz, I didn't say you would do so.  I said some people.  I was commenting on the content of the baord and the supreme negativity that is on it no matter how the team is doing.  Some fans will never be happy.  This was the case even when the team was on their playoff run.  Win, lose, rebuild, retool, stay the course, it doesn't matter because somebody will always have something to bitch about.

However, you are correct in the sense that with Pujols and Hamilton, this team couldn't rebuild even if they wanted to

I don't see how trading Kendrick and Aybar is giving up. The offense lives and dies around Trout, Trumbo, Pujols, and Hamilton. If those 4 aren't all producing as they are capable, it doesn't matter whether we have Kendrick and Aybar or Mathis at those positions. If the 4 are producing, the offense will be good enough without Kendrick and Aybar. Use them to upgrade the other areas in need such as starting pitching and bp.

I don't have a problem trading players if we have others who can fill those positions.  Who the heck is going to play SS next season if Aybar is traded.  Also, Jimenez will not put up Howie numbers.  Can this offense, which has struggled the last few years, really handle another huge hole in it?

I think if the Angels can retain Vargas and trade for or sign another quality starter, they have a good shot in 2014.   

On paper, the offense looks like one of the best in baseball.    4 guys with 30HR/100RBI potential.    Just need all 4 of those guys to perform.

We had a lot of injuries and bad luck this year. A healthy Angel team does damage in 2014.

This. If Pujols is healthy with a .850-900 OPS, and Hamilton hit with about a .850 OPS even, then this team would only be a few games back. Not to mention if they had a serviceable 5th starter. They've also had more than their fair share of injuries.

I say this because many argue that we should trade Aybar and or Kendrick.  We really don't have an adequate replacement for either for next year.  Yes we could probably get a decent load of prospects for them if we traded them, but without an adequate replacement at 2b or SS wouldn't we have to give up on 2014 as well?  Some may say we should.  Some say this team is a good few years away from being a playoff team.  If that is so maybe we should trade them.  However, If you feel Hamilton can return to at least near all star play (he used to be one of the best) and if Pujols can be a consistent 280 30 HR player (something even a declining Pujols can be) that this team can be a playoff team next year.  Then it would be unwise to trade Kendrick or Aybar. 

The real question is just how long of our rebuilding needs to take.

I'm guaranteeing that Aybar doesn't get traded because he's Albert's buddy. He's not going anywhere.

I don't have a problem trading players if we have others who can fill those positions.  Who the heck is going to play SS next season if Aybar is traded.  Also, Jimenez will not put up Howie numbers.  Can this offense, which has struggled the last few years, really handle another huge hole in it?

Agreed. 

The only players I could see being traded are Trumbo and maybe Bourjos.

What a funny place for this team to be when it doesn't have an excess of little slappy utility players.

Sorry I am a realist. This isn't a good or sound team.

I will still root and cheer for the team next year, I just don't think they should plan on competing.

I agree but unfortunately with the money locked up in guys like Pujols/Hamilton/Weav/CJ....they kind of have to look at trying to compete, especially during the early years of these contracts

I honestly don't know what this org can do. Seems like the only way to fix this mess is to just be patient. Try to compete next year by making some reasonable signings/not going overboard

Gotta hope that with Pujols back and healthy that he'll produce much better than he did this year, and pray that Josh doesn't Vernon Wells up the joint in year 2.

This. If Pujols is healthy with a .850-900 OPS, and Hamilton hit with about a .850 OPS even, then this team would only be a few games back. Not to mention If they had a serviceable 5th starter. They've also had more than their fair share of injuries.

You have to remember that both of these players are grossly overpaid and both have issues. You will see limited spurts of greatness to keep us interested but mostly crap. These two guys have sunk the ship. I feel bad for Weaver and Trout. Torii left just in time.

Serviceable SS and 2nd can be picked up in free agency or through trades. They may not be as good as Aybar and Kendrick, but if trading one or both can improve pitching then it's worth exploring. That to me would not look like giving up on 2014 or rebuilding, but a retooling? Yes.

I don't see how trading Kendrick and Aybar is giving up. The offense lives and dies around Trout, Trumbo, Pujols, and Hamilton. If those 4 aren't all producing as they are capable, it doesn't matter whether we have Kendrick and Aybar or Mathis at those positions. If the 4 are producing, the offense will be good enough without Kendrick and Aybar. Use them to upgrade the other areas in need such as starting pitching and bp.

If you really think that trading away our middle infield without adequate replacements for them isn't giving up on a season than there is no reason to debate.   We are completely different levels of reality!

When was the last time a team a basically replacement level players at SS and 2b and made the playoffs?

Serviceable SS and 2nd can be picked up in free agency or through trades. They may not be as good as Aybar and Kendrick, but if trading one or both can improve pitching then it's worth exploring. That to me would not look like giving up on 2014 or rebuilding, but a retooling? Yes.

The purpose of trading them would be to acquire weaknesses.  It serves no purpose to trade a quality player for a serviceable one and then what?  get a serviceable pitcher as well?  The only logic in trading them is to get two or three good pitching prospects.  Not some "serviceable guy".

As for free agency, both those two are cheap.  We can't increase payroll to replace guys we already have.  We need all the payroll room to provide Trout with his long term extension.

The purpose of trading them would be to acquire weaknesses.  It serves no purpose to trade a quality player for a serviceable one and then what?  get a serviceable pitcher as well?  The only logic in trading them is to get two or three good pitching prospects.  Not some "serviceable guy".

As for free agency, both those two are cheap.  We can't increase payroll to replace guys we already have.  We need all the payroll room to provide Trout with his long term extension.

Reading comprehension much?

If you really think that trading away our middle infield without adequate replacements for them isn't giving up on a season than there is no reason to debate.   We are completely different levels of reality!

When was the last time a team a basically replacement level players at SS and 2b and made the playoffs?

No i don't. If they can trade them for SP help and Pujols and Hamilton hit as they are capable, the Angels will be competitive next year.