• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrick & Aybar

Taking a glance at the free agent list for this offseason.  Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta are the only SS's that I can see worth mentioning.  2b, Cano and Utley are the obvious.  Infante is also a free agent.  

So at least there is something in FA'cy, as opposed to starting pitching.  

a question- why with this lineup of bashers( at least potentially) does everybody  want offense out of 2b and ss?

our players in the run producing lineup slots are prolific enough, even playing at 50% of thier potential, to make this team extremely competetive.

I'm losing faith in Dipoto, even after just 1.5 years.

At least, unlike J. Pierpont Reagins, he can be a strong farm system leader.

Watching Hanson get hammered yesterday (not all his fault, I guess) and then watching Walden pitch for the Braves in the 8th against the Cards last night, I am trending toward being skeptical about DiPoto...I like him a lot but it's looking like he really missed on every move  he made last offseason---Hunter, Walden for Hanson, Blanton, Madsen, Burnett, Hamilton (not sure if that was his call)....We literally didn't get anything right....the last thing we need is more turnover in the front office but when your offseason is a total bust (and I mean total), it's hard not to be concerned....

Taking a glance at the free agent list for this offseason.  Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta are the only SS's that I can see worth mentioning.  2b, Cano and Utley are the obvious.  Infante is also a free agent.  

So at least there is something in FA'cy, as opposed to starting pitching.  

Yea lets give another mid 30s guy with an injury history a big contract. They need to stay as far away from utley as possible.

The angels have no other real options at 2b and SS. Would make zero sense to trade Aybar or Kendrick for a 4th or 5th starter.

They are also relatively cheap for the value that they bring.

If JerryD can get a 3rd starter, then I'm all for it, but I don't see them having such value.

I also wouldn't mind the him trading for a type A pitching prospect, but then the Angels would probably need to look to rebuild.

If only Romine could hit his way out of a paper bag.  He's got a great glove.

I'm a little leery of them trading both Aybar and Kendrick, and would prefer only one or the other, whichever can bring the greatest return.  Having our entire MIF consist of green unproven players next year doesn't sound terribly appealing.

I'd like to see how many of the "trade for the future, have a few bad seasons to get on track" people would actually stick to that if the team did it. 

I would. Dude I am thinking of not renewing my season tickets I have had for 10 years if they don't start to rebuild this thing. No way I am paying what I am paying if this team does not start to resemble a plan. If they come back with this same nucleus screw that I am not renewing my tickets I would rather watch on tv or just read the updates on my phone.

Callaspo should be next to be traded. Not expecting much of a return, but he'd help a team in need of infield depth. Like the Yankees. Kendrick may get more in return, but what is reasonable to expect back? Aybar may get a ton, but who plays in his absence? Angels have Romine but thats it. I'd also look to trade Shuck for whatever he can give you which isn't much, but hey, they have a lot of OF and right now Calhoun needs to play. 

Then Iannetta has to be looked at as an option. He's not going to get you much.

Trumbo would only be moved if they got good pieces back, same for Bourjos. I know Bourjos is on the DL, but he can be activated any time, if they wanted to move him.

How about Frieri? He's got to have a lot of value. 

Problem with Alberto, Aybar and Kendrick is we really don't have anyone to take their place on the field.  Not sure Callaspo is worth much of anything anyway.  His defense has been abhorrent this season and he isn't hitting either.

Gotta trade quality pieces for quality pieces. I'd be against trading Aybar, as the SS market is thin.

Kendrick, Trumbo, etc, would depend on the return.

They need pitching, badly, which they have squandered for years in trades. Had we not traded for Dan Haren and just kept Saunders, they'd have had young arms this season or last who could actually man the 5th starter spot.

In 2005, when the team went to the ALCS, the starters were Colon (FA), Byrd (FA), Washburn (developed), Lackey (developed) and Santana (developed). Escobar was hurt but started 7 games.

2006, saw Washburn & Byrd go, replaced by Escobar (healthy again), Jered Weaver debuted, and we had Jeff for a few months as well. That team finished 2nd, and missed out on the playoffs.

In 2007, Joe Saunders rookie year. Finished first. Lackey, Weaver, Santana, Escobar rounded out the rotation.

So each year, the Halos debuted a new young starter. Then Reagins became the GM.

In 2008, He added Garland to the rotation via trade. Team did well, allowed just 697 runs. Lackey, Weaver, Santana, Garland, Saunders. No young rotation guys debuted, but it was still pretty young and cost effective. Lackey was the oldest starter at I think 29.

In 2009, They said goodbye to Garland and didn't really replace him. They relied on Sean O'Sullivan and Matt Palmer, after Adenhart's tragic death. The Angels clearly were stunned by this, because they had expected him to step in as the fifth starter behind Weaver, Santana, Saunders,  and Lackey. Traded for Scott Kazmir late in the year, who had been a top AL starter. 

In 2010, they said goodbye to Lackey, and brought in Joel Pinero via FA. Obviously a flawed rotation, having Weaver in his first year as the ace, plus Santana and Saunders and Kazmir Struggling.

Kazmir had dominated in his first six starts the previous year for the Angels, so that wasn't a bad rotation going in, except, well, we know how that turned out. 

Lefty Alex Torres was part of the 2009 trade for Kazmir, and then midseason, DiPoto, then with the D'Backs, fleeced the Angels in the Dan Haren deal. It looked like the Angels fleeced the D'backs….obviously not.

Those three pitchers weren't the highest rated pitching prospects the Angels had, but in Torres, Corbin, and Skaggs, the Angels lost three good pitchers and got one good one back. They were all good pitchers.

Skaggs got demoted, but he showed good stuff early on, and has a bright future in the desert. Corbin has been lights out for the D'Backs.. with the 4th best ERA in the national league. Skaggs was the higher rated prospect, and dealing one of them in the Haren trade along with Joe Saunders would've made sense, but three of the Angels top guys in a span of six months? What else did they have in the pipeline?

Alex Torres has a 0.29 ERA this year in relief for Tampa.

Sense a pattern here? Highly paid starters for young prospects?

Saunders was struggling when they moved him, but he was under control for three more years, which would've been useful. Haren did well in 2010, 2011, and then struggled in 2012.

No one was against the trade then, but looking back is not a pretty sight.

2011 rotation featured Weaver, Haren, Santana, Pinero, Chatwood and a bunch of spot starters. Chatwood could've continued the young starter trend from 2005-2008, but didn't work out. Richards is still a work in progress.

But the top three were really good.

Then Santana and Haren fell off the map. 2012 was good, but they traded more prospects for impending FA pitcher Zach Greinke, which would've been ok in the old rules, the Angels would've got a top prospect back via the draft pick if he didn't sign, but now, they didn't. So they lost Ariel Pena, Johnny Hellweg, etc. They did add CJ Wilson to the staff via FA, which was a nice move.

But now going into 2013, they have no young good controllable proven arms, as those guys were all moved. Do you think the team would've signed Joe Blanton had they had a Corbin in the wings or a Skaggs? Richards is not that guy. Vargas was good via trade, but yeah, not great.

Rant over, but basically by not developing young arms for the rotation, the Angels screwed themselves over. They need young projectable starters, but by trading all the pieces away, then not having draft picks because of new rules and massive FA signings, plus inexplicably cutting international scouting…just not a good stretch.