• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, Trading Time

Downs is pretty much it, I think... and you won't get that much. I really doubt anyone is giving much up for good middle infielders like Aybar and Kendrick, either.  Vargas might be a good option to deal if he was healthy.  He's overachieved a bit this year.  Trumbo, a month ago, would've fetched more. Now? Not much. 

They need to trade Downs.  I think right now is the perfect time to trade CJ, a team would definitely take his contract with the way he's performing right now and he'd probably net us some good prospects.  Kendrick you trade if you get the right offer.  I'd trade Vargas after he gets healthy in August as a waiver wire deal.

I can understand why, for probably the same reasons I would like to see him kept: Speed, youth, already a Gold Glove level defender, will probably turn into a very good hitter if he can stay away from injuries. If I were St. Louis, he is the one guy on the Angels' roster who I would target. Strangely, there seem to be a number of people on here who see him as nothing more than trade bait.

He is a fascinating player, no doubt.   Very high ceiling.

People may see him as trade bait because he is a guy who(when healthy) could net a solid #2 or #3 starting pitcher, which the Angels badly need.  

Trade market isn't great this year for 2 reasons in my opinion.

1. Addition of 2nd WC makes more teams believe they are contenders.

2. The growing trend of teams locking down their young talent early on.

Plus, look at what the price teams want for rental players.

#1 in particular has had a suppressing effect on the trade market, IMO. Now that there is a second wild card spot up for grabs, nobody within a mile of a playoff spot wants to deal anybody for fear of being accused of giving up on the season while they were "in contention". Over the long haul, this may act to keep more mediocre clubs mediocre, as they either stand pat to stay in the "race" or worse, act like a contending team and trade the future for the past to pick up that one veteran to help put them in a one-game playoff in October.

I have a feeling that the price for rental players, while it may never be a bargain, will level off somewhat as more and more teams see the folly of trading for that one guy who is (in most cases) going to leave once the season is over.

Trade market isn't great this year for 2 reasons in my opinion.

1. Addition of 2nd WC makes more teams believe they are contenders.

2. The growing trend of teams locking down their young talent early on.

Plus, look at what the price teams want for rental players.

I think you have to add to that.  The starting pitching free agent market isn't the strongest this offseason, and hasn't really been that great for a few years now.  So any kind of starting pitching is at a huge premium now.

Rosenthal and Passan just said that the Angels are listening to offers on player like Aybar and Kendrick and many more. We'll see if anything actually happens.

Players that could be moved that I wouldn't lose much sleep over:

Aybar, Kendrick, Trumbo, Downs, Frieri, Shuck, Callaspo, Iannetta.

We're stuck with Pujols and Hamilton.

He is a fascinating player, no doubt.   Very high ceiling.

People may see him as trade bait because he is a guy who(when healthy) could net a solid #2 or #3 starting pitcher, which the Angels badly need.  

With his injury history I don't know if he would bring a guy who would fit that high in the rotation. Therein lies the dilemma: Do you trade an outfielder who could become a bona fide star for a back end of the rotation pitcher? I don't.

@JeffPassan: Angels are now 13 games back and open for business. Sources say they're willing to listen on Erick Aybar, Howie Kendrick and plenty more.

@JeffPassan: @Swydan I'd say Kendrick at 2/19 is pretty desirable. And Aybar at 3/25.5 isn't a bad play, if you look back at the past few years.

If we can reload with young talent I'm all for blowing this team up. Especially if the market is beneficial to sellers.

Rosenthal and Passan just said that the Angels are listening to offers on player like Aybar and Kendrick and many more. We'll see if anything actually happens.

Yup.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source confirms #Angels willing to listen on Kendrick, Aybar, others, as first reported by @jeffpassan. Goal is to upgrade starting pitching

@JeffPassan: Angels are now 13 games back and open for business. Sources say they're willing to listen on Erick Aybar, Howie Kendrick and plenty more.

@JeffPassan: @Swydan I'd say Kendrick at 2/19 is pretty desirable. And Aybar at 3/25.5 isn't a bad play, if you look back at the past few years.

If we can reload with young talent I'm all for blowing this team up. Especially if the market is beneficial to sellers.

It's a tough call.  If the Angels net some solid pitching prospects for both but create holes at 2B and SS, as there is no one close in the minors to fill these roles, it may be a break even move.  Still, if this season has demonstrated anything, it's that SP is key to a successful season.