• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols - statistical update

Season: .259/.331/.440, 17 HR, 117 OPS+

2nd half (7 games): .379/.419/.586, 2 HR

BA last 14 games: .352 (19-54)

Obviously those season numbers are well below what we'd like to see at this point, but his recent performance is encouraging. If he keeps this up he could finish the year around .280 with an OPS of .800+ and 25+ HR. Not great numbers but not an absolute train-wreck.

Season: .259/.331/.440, 17 HR, 117 OPS+

2nd half (7 games): .379/.419/.586, 2 HR

BA last 14 games: .352 (19-54)

Obviously those season numbers are well below what we'd like to see at this point, but his recent performance is encouraging. If he keeps this up he could finish the year around .280 with an OPS of .800+ and 25+ HR. Not great numbers but not an absolute train-wreck.

He is actually not far off from the .800 OPS mark, and just a short hot streak should put him over the mark.

If his foot is really as bad as some speculate, an .800 OPS season really isn't so bad, and makes me hopeful that if he ever does return to full health, he can improve substantially on that number.

I don't think it's fair to compare his OPS to every position. He is a DH/1b, which are the two positions you want the most production of offense from.

His .771 OPS would rank 18nth out of 24 players if he qualified for enough abs at 1b.

I am not looking to bring his contract into play and what's he doing relative to that, but if you look at his numbers, his injured foot can easily explain his drop in production

his BABIP this year is .258.  About 25 points lower than his last few years. 

His average is usually about at his BABIP or a tic higher. 

that drop either means he's had some bad luck, is slower to first, or isn't hitting the ball as hard

His LD% is actually up from last year and closer to when he was a premier hitter. (highest in five years)

His GB and FB rates are slightly reversed from previous years, but only by a small fraction

his Hr/FB rate is down.

He's not popping up hardly at all.  2.3%  lowest of his career.

He's a front foot hitter and his left foot is his landing foot where he would normally load during power transfer from back to front.

So his power is a bit down, and his ability to get to first and turn an out into a single, or get to second on a ball that usually would be a double is down as well. 

Overall, all his other metrics have improved from last year, except his k rate is up a bit

If you give him 10 more hits to get his BABIP up as well as add conservatively 2 hrs, and turn 5 singles into doubles he would have the following line:

.290/.358/.500

I would take that. 

Of course he's done what he's done but it gives me enough hope that he can produce somewhere in the realm of a .840-870 ops next year. 

If he can end the year at .280 with an OPS of .800+ and 25+ HR while playing in the pain he has played all year, that would be very good.

Very good?

If his name was Kendrick, that might be considered pretty good.

Oh how the fan expectations have dropped. Almost as fast as Pujols skills have dropped..almost.

I agree to a certain extent. But, if a guy is playing hobbled, you have to have lower expectations. 

This team is done for this year. If he is truly that hurt, then why are his personal numbers more important (not only to some fans but obviously the ORG too) than getting him healthy, for the future success of the TEAM that he is on for the next 8 1/2 seasons??

The focus should not be on his numbers, they should be on the future of the TEAM.

I just don't get the thinking here. The malaise is deeper than Pujols foot, the organizational mindset that has him out there hobbling around for numbers, is totally unhealthy.

I couldn't care less what his final numbers for the season turn out to be.

His total failure is the main reason the Angels missed the playoffs last year, and he has contributed nothing this year either.
He was brought in to lead, and even for stretches to carry, this team.

He has done nothing for this team so far, and I see no reason to coddle him with excuses such as "He is pretty good for being hurt"

That's BS.

His total failure is the main reason the Angels missed the playoffs last year, and he has contributed nothing this year either.

He has done nothing for this team so far, and I see no reason to coddle him with excuses such as "He is pretty good for being hurt"

That's BS.

I agree. 

That's BS.

He was productive for 2/3rds of last year although his early failures were a part of why the team dug the whole they did.  Last years failures were mostly pitching related however. 

Certainly, knowing the pitching situation going into the season it was paramount that he and Hamilton provide solid production which they haven't. 

I am not giving him a pass on his subpar production this year however, knowing that he's going to be around for quite some time, it's mildly helpful knowing that there is a possibility of him playing better next year if/when healthy. 

We just need him not to stick in a bad way for the next 2-3 years after this one.  Solid offense will accomplish enough imo. 

When the FO agrees, shuts him down, and puts him to work with the youngsters they bring up...teaching them the game while he heals up...then I will start feeling better about him being here. At this point I see no reason to be giving this guy any props whatsoever.

He is a first ballot HOF'er, he is already paid handsomely for a decade to be here.

I just think it is time for him to actually do something other than pad his personal numbers.
But hey, that's just my opinion.

I think he was just messing around (as his name would indicate).

No, I'm not messing around as you say. Winning is still important ... even if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Every games is a event which spectators pay to watch ... even last place teams celebrate on the field when they win. It's obvious his playing isn't going to hinder his future with the team. He'll have plenty of time to heal in the off season.

The last two games the Angels won were impacted by Pujols in the lineup.