• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

{Fangraphs} Ervin Santana Changes the Trade Market

This article makes me feel slightly nauseous. Sullivan thinks the Royals could get at least as much as the Garza trade.

So what bothers me is what is wrong with the Angels that Santana couldn't find his best self? Is it Butcher? Scioscia? "Change of scenery" and going from a medium to low-pressure situation probably helps, but there's more to it. Santana is having his best season since his career year in 2008, certainly as good or better than 2011.

I'm hoping that the Angels FO is looking at Santana and asking, "What did we do wrong? What didn't we do?"

Well I think it's clear the angels should've kept Santana mainly because he's been as good as a number 2 starter on the angels multiple times, and he was due to have another great year.

Replace Santana with Blanton and the angels are competing for the wild card.

This article makes me feel slightly nauseous. Sullivan thinks the Royals could get at least as much as the Garza trade.

So what bothers me is what is wrong with the Angels that Santana couldn't find his best self? Is it Butcher? Scioscia? "Change of scenery" and going from a medium to low-pressure situation probably helps, but there's more to it. Santana is having his best season since his career year in 2008, certainly as good or better than 2011.

I'm hoping that the Angels FO is looking at Santana and asking, "What did we do wrong? What didn't we do?"

nahhhhh. sosh, butchy and the boys got nuthin to do wit it....

hows kazmir doing in cleveland?

The Angels FO is a mess. The only thing they're looking at is a $130M+ payroll and another missed playoffs birth.

I guess they need to take fertility pills.

Grienke had his one amazing year in KC. Now he is a grossly over paid pitcher that is no better than Wilson.

Greinke is overrated but he's still very good - a #2 starter (like Wilson in a good year).

Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana are completely different situations. Both were head-cases, but unlike Kazmir Ervin's repertoire was always there - he just couldn't harness it in a consistent manner. Kazmir completely lost it.

As for the Blanton-Santana swap, even if we got "mediocre Santana" we'd probably be 2 wins better (49-50). This year's version? My guess is the differential would be about 4 wins (51-48). That would put the Angels on the edge of wildcard contention.

Well I don't think there's any reason to believe the angels couldn't have gotten 2011 ervin santana, which comes out to a solid number 2 starter.

Blanton's ceiling was always a number 4 starter at best. Santana has proven capable of being a number 2, or in this year, a number 1.

Also, if the angels let him walk at the end of this year, they would be getting a first round draft pick, but the angels have shown they have no interest in attaining 1st rounders from type A free agents, which is another reason why this organization is an embarrassment.

Cmon AJ you're better than that. Ervin had some very good years with the Angels. His problem has always been maintaining that performance over multiple seasons. He's a massive head case with great stuff. He's having a very good season in KC but it's way too soon to jump to any conclusion about him turning some sort of corner in his career or that there was some kind of coaching failure with the Angels. 

Also, if the angels let him walk at the end of this year, they would be getting a first round draft pick, but the angels have shown they have no interest in attaining 1st rounders from type A free agents, which is another reason why this organization is an embarrassment.

LOL what a load of crap. The Angels have shown no such thing particularly under the current and recent regimes. 

LOL what a load of crap. The Angels have shown no such thing particularly under the current and recent regimes. 

When's the last time the Angels received a 1st rounder by offering arbitration to a type A free agent? 

I think the low pressure situation plays more into his success than anything else.  The talent was always there.  It was the head that got in the way.  

If he was on the Angels this season, he probably would be up in the 4.00+ era area.  Because the bats weren't hitting first half of the season, and everything would have been on his shoulders.  Especially after Weaver went down and CJ had a slow start.  

They got a pick for all of those guys you listed but Hunter, because Hunter would have accepted arbitration.

Well consider me corrected then. I could've sworn they were trying to re-sign teixeira and lackey.

Did they receive first round picks?

Cmon AJ you're better than that. Ervin had some very good years with the Angels. His problem has always been maintaining that performance over multiple seasons. He's a massive head case with great stuff. He's having a very good season in KC but it's way too soon to jump to any conclusion about him turning some sort of corner in his career or that there was some kind of coaching failure with the Angels. 

All of which I agree with. I also don't necessarily think he turned a career corner and could just as easily have a 4.50 ERA next year as a 3.50 ERA. But the point is, for whatever reason he's optimizing his abilities in KC, and the Angels should look at why this is and that, at the least, the coaching staff has something to do with it.

I'm not one to place sole blame on any lone party, but I think we need to look at the whole picture - which includes the coaching staff.

Well consider me corrected then. I could've sworn they were trying to re-sign teixeira and lackey.

Did they receive first round picks?

The process is to offer arbitration while trying to re-sign them.  Just because you try to re-sign them doesn't mean you don't get a pick.

The process is to offer arbitration while trying to re-sign them.  Just because you try to re-sign them doesn't mean you don't get a pick.

Teams have a an exclusive window to offer deals, but I thought they can't offer anymore deals if they offer arbitration.