• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Positives in the Minor Leagues

I realize this isn't the minor league forum, but I thought I'd update everyone on how the teams in the Angels farm system are doing.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, since we are supposed to have the worst farm system!

AAA- Salt Lake sits in FIRST place at 58-46, 1 game up in a tough division in the PCL.

AA-   Arkansas sits in FIRST place at 51-49, 2 games up in the Texas League North Division.

High A- Inland Empire sits in SECOND place at 55-48, 5 games back in the California League South.

A-         Burlington sits in seventh of eight at 38-57, 21.5 games back in the Mid West League, but really with out any of our top prospects.

Just thought I'd show this and show some appreciation for all the minor league coaches.  They've proved a lot of people wrong.  The future doesn't look too bad.

minor league records have zero correlation with how strong the prospects in a system are.

You're right, winning games must mean that there are no strong prospects.  Because Byron Buxton hasn't helped the Cedar Rapids Kernels and Fort Meyers Miracle win games this year in the Twins system?  You should work in baseball.

You're right, winning games must mean that there are no strong prospects.  Because Byron Buxton hasn't helped the Cedar Rapids Kernels and Fort Meyers Miracle win games this year in the Twins system?  You should work in baseball.

No but 28 year old Brandon Hynick is helping the Travs.

End

the angels have the worst farm system in baseball

Okay, thanks for your expert analysis. If there is anything else we need to know we will know who to ask.

respond to me, but not the guy who thinks minor league team records have correlation with how strong or weak prospects are. Way to go bro.

BTW it is just my ****ing opinion so why act like lifetime with your reply?

It shouldn't need further support, but I'll say it again: There is no correlation between minor league records and the depth or quality of prospects. Let me put it this way. Each major league team has 7-9 minor league farm teams. Each of those teams has approximately a 25-man active roster, which means that for every 25 major leaguers (add a few for the DL) there are at least 175 minor leaguers or as many as 225. How many of those ~200 players do you think will have significant major league careers? Not many. Many of them move slowly through the system and either wash-out and try their hand at another career or become the dreaded "career minor leaguer," which I would define as a player that might be called up on a pinch but spends far more of their career in the minors than majors (e.g. Paul McAnulty). Actually, the majority of players in AAA are these types of guys, and if you want to look at the real talent in a system generally A, A+ and AA have the higher end prospects, because better prospects tend to move through AAA relatively quickly.

Now let's look at the Salt Lake Bees. According to Baseball Reference, 25 hitters and 28 pitchers have played there this year. He average age of the hitters is 28.4 years, the pitchers 27.8 years. The only hitter younger than 25 is Ryan Dalton (21) who played only one game and was, I believe, just a fill-in from Orem. Every other hitter is between 25 and 34. As for the pitchers, the range has been 24 to 36.

Looking down the roster, he only position players that have a decent chance at being major league regulars are Kole Calhoun and Luis Jimenez. A few players - Andrew Romine, Matt Long, Drew Heid, Thomas Field - could have decent careers are bench/platoon players. Among the pitchers, none look like #1-3 pitchers. AJ Schugel and Matt Shoemaker will probably start some games in the majors, and Schugel has a decent chance at being a back-end starter for some time (although he's pitched terribly this year). Most of the pitchers have logged some innings in the majors, but very few if any look like they'll have ongoing gigs (maybe Berg, Carpenter, one or two others).

So that's a 59-46 team. To recap, the best prospect is Kole Calhoun who I'd say is a solid grade B prospect, but on the older side (he's 25). Only a few others have a chance at being a major league regular. The team is largely comprised of career minor leaguers, guys that ride the AAA buses, switching from team to team, enjoying the game, but hoping to get a major major league contract (remember that the MLB minimum of ~$500,000 looks pretty great to a player that might be making less than $20K a year playing baseball).

The averages ages at AA Arkansas drop significantly - 23.6 for hitters and 25.2 for pitchers. Here you'll find more prospects with decent chances of major league careers - Cowart, Cron, Lindsey, Grichuk, Maronde, possibly Witherspoon, Bandy, Correa, Piazza, and one or two others. Arkansas has a much higher concentration of talent than Salt Lake, but they're 51-51.

Anyhow, hopefully the point is clear. A minor league team's record has nothing to do with future talent, but only ability at the level they're currently playing at. Salt Lake is a good AAA team - but against other AAA players, and most players on the roster won't get any better because they're already in their prime. Remember that most players have a wide peak of around 25-32, and a narrower peak of 27-30. This means that very few players will get batter after age 27. Some do, but not so much better than they were at 27.

respond to me, but not the guy who thinks minor league team records have correlation with how strong or weak prospects are. Way to go bro.

BTW it is just my ****ing opinion so why act like lifetime with your reply?

Zero correlation is kind of strong, don't you think?  He provided some analysis and facts for his opinion, and you did not.  As you stated, your statements are just your opinion.

Zero correlation is kind of strong, don't you think? He provided some analysis and facts for his opinion, and you did not. As you stated, your statements are just your opinion.

Do you deny that this is the worst, or one of the worst farm systems in baseball?

Something to think about when negative people are doing their best to rain on your parade. So
remember this story the next time someone who knows nothing and cares less tries
to make your life miserable.

A woman was at her hairdresser's getting her hair styled for a trip to Rome with her husband. She mentioned the trip to the
hairdresser, who responded:

"Rome? Why would anyone want to go there?  It's crowded and dirty. You're crazy to go to Rome. So, how are you getting
there?"

"We're taking Continental," was the reply. "We got a great rate!"

"Continental?" exclaimed the hairdresser. "That's a terrible airline. Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they're
always late. So, where are you staying in Rome?"

"We'll be at this exclusive little place over on Rome's Tiber River called Teste."

"Don't go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks it's gonna be something
special and exclusive, but it's really a dump."

"We're going to go to see the Vatican and maybe get to see the Pope."

"That's rich," laughed the hairdresser. You and a million other people trying to see him. He'll look the
size of an ant.

Boy, good luck on this lousy trip of yours. You're going to need it."

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser asked her about her trip to Rome.

"It was wonderful,"explained the woman, "not only were we on time in one of Continental's brand new
planes, but it was overbooked, and they bumped us up to first class. The food and wine were wonderful, and I had a handsome 28-year-old steward who waited on me hand and foot.

And the hotel was great! They'd just finished a $5 million remodeling job, and now it's a jewel, the finest hotel in the city.
They, too, were overbooked, so they apologized and gave us their owner's suite at no extra charge!"

"Well," muttered the hairdresser, "that's all well and good, but I know you didn't get to see the Pope."

"Actually, we were quite lucky, because as we toured the Vatican, a Swiss Guard tapped me on the
shoulder, and explained that the Pope likes to meet some of the visitors, and if I'd be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would
personally greet me.

Sure enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand! I knelt down and he spoke a few words to
me."

"Oh, really! What did he say?"

He said: "Who ****ed up your hair?"