• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bring back Santana for 2014?

http://www.royalsreview.com/2013/7/22/4547492/ervin-santanas-worth-to-the-royals-as-a-trade-chip

According to the article, Royals can expect a similar package of players that the Cubs got for Garza.  So, we can pretty much say that Dipoto got fleeced by the Royals.  They turned Brandon Sisk in for an all-star caliber pitcher who will get them 2 or 3 high quality prospects.  Royals look poised to make some noise in a few years. 

But, Ervin's a FA after this season.  We know what we get from him.  And we know that he'll probably have a crappy year, but you sign him for 4 years $50 million and you're content at least 2 seasons of quality starting pitching with the whole even bad year/ odd good year.  You add him to Weaver and Wilson and you got something to work with. 

4 years is far too long and $50M far too much.  The most I'd give him would be 2/20.

True, we got rid of him because we felt he wasn't worth a lot. I wouldn't mind having him back, but it won't be for long. However, he can easily get more years from other teams.

Depends on who we sign this next offseason. If Vargas is back, I would rather find a more steady arm than Ervin. Who knows what we would get from him next year. 

He has pitched differently this year as well. Throwing sliders 38.2% of the time compared to 35.3% last year and his fastball velocity is up to 92.3 from 91.7 last year. 

Ground ball percentage at an all time high, fly balls at an all time low. He's definitely figured something out this year that he didn't figure out here. Thanks Butcher(sarcasm)!

This is why I never understood the need to trade him this past off-season.

1)  He always rebounds after a bad season.

2)  He is in a contract season.

3)  Even if he did struggle in 2013, they aren't going to get much less than a decent lefty reliever for him anyway if trading him in July.   And if he wasn't struggling, they could have gotten quite a bit for him right now.

$12 million isn't that much money, to not try to keep him at least through July.

Another nice move, Arte/JeDi, what a great off-season you two had!

Depends on who we sign this next offseason. If Vargas is back, I would rather find a more steady arm than Ervin. Who knows what we would get from him next year. 

He has pitched differently this year as well. Throwing sliders 38.2% of the time compared to 35.3% last year and his fastball velocity is up to 92.3 from 91.7 last year. 

Ground ball percentage at an all time high, fly balls at an all time low. He's definitely figured something out this year that he didn't figure out here. Thanks Butcher(sarcasm)!

Is that the same thing he figured out in 2011? Or 2009?

Is there any other MLB team that sucks as bad as we do at how it's own FA-to-be players are handled?

We almost never offer them arb.

We don't hold on to the one (Santana) for a contract year who always rebounds after a bad season. 

Sometimes I wonder about the baseball smarts in this org.

Is that the same thing he figured out in 2011? Or 2009?

I totally get what you're saying but his numbers show that he's made some big adjustments this year. His fastball has been awful the last few years so he's relying more on the slider and using fastball much much less.

I can't tell you that's he's going to produce the same results next year but I'd feel more confident with him now than in years past.

Pitching is always at a premium and right now at the age of 30 Santana is having a career year.  Obviously if he bombs the rest of the year that hurts his value but he's setting himself up for a bigger payday than the contract he last signed with the Angels prior to 2009.  Hopefully that next big payday is from anyone but the Angels. 

I guess I'd take literally anyone with an arm over Blanton at this point. Though I really did not like Santana. He is one of the most frustrating pitchers I've ever seen. At least with Blanton you know he's going to suck so you just bend over and spread your cheeks hoping you won't get f'd too hard. With Santana it was like....rape.

I'm not saying to do it, but this team needs some major help with the starting rotation.  I can see the Angels bringing Vargas back, but after that, what does this team have???  Nothing.

Weaver

Wilson

Vargas

?

?

So what do they do this offseason to fill the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation???