• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FanGraphs: 5 Worst MLB Contracts

Fangraphs ran a piece on the five worst current MLB contracts. Guess who was #1 and #4?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2013-anti-trade-value-the-five-worst-contracts/

The authors estimated to trade #4 on the list would take eating $63 million. To trade the Albert Pujols would take the Angels eating a whooping $152 million.

That is $215 million folks. Something in the organization's decision process is incredibly broken. That isn't debatable.

I guessed that they were 1 and 4 before even seeing the first post.

One does wonder if the contract was backloaded with a private agreement that Pujols would retire before the contract ends once he feels he can't do it anymore.    I can't imagine that Arte/JeDi would want to pay so much for the second half of the contract.

One does wonder if the contract was backloaded with a private agreement that Pujols would retire before the contract ends once he feels he can't do it anymore.    I can't imagine that Arte/JeDi would want to pay so much for the second half of the contract.

To paraphrase AO, Just Stop It!

Albert giving up a dollar just isn't going to happen.

Yeah, we're stuck..........the prior posts sum it up well.

You'd think with some of the contracts we've eaten (not all were during Arte's reign when signed) -- Appier, GMJ, VW etc. that we'd be careful about some of these long term deals.

The Pujols deal, expensive at the time and now, did generate excitement and many folks here, while questioning the cost, celebrated the signing (I know I did).

But the Hamilton signing was widely panned here, both cost, length and actually the player himself.........it seemed to be one of those "we gotta do something and show that we're doing something" signings similar to GMJ and AW deals -- each of which were poorly received AT THE TIME OF THE SIGNING by most, if not virtually every -- member of this board.......so the folks here were NOT Monday morning quarterbacking..........

I agreed with (and many did here as well) the long term signing for Jered Weaver with the hometown discount...........and I still agree with it even with Jered's DL time this year.

Now, Blanton??? None of us thought was a good signing either -- 2-12 5.50 ERA............geez.

Albert Pujols's contract provides a new image for "Big Splash" ... Think a massive anchor on the club's ability to compete.

We have the worst farm system in baseball. We are going to need to spend money to fill weaknesses in future teams. Arte is going to have to go well above the luxury tax, perhaps well over $200 million, to compete for the AL West moving forward. It's ugly folks.

Since you brought up the Dogs here, geez they've won something like 21 of their last 25 games or something.......been on real run.

So it could happen (for us, too).

but as the weekend's LA Times article stated about Halos starting the second half -- yeah , they could make a run -- but reality is their rotation isn't up to the winning percentage pace it would take to get to 90 wins, a minimum probably needed to get the second wild card spot..........

To paraphrase AO, Just Stop It!

Albert giving up a dollar just isn't going to happen.

I never thought it happens in sports but not long ago an NHL player retired and gave up 77 million on a contract because he wanted to go back to Russia to be with his family. As we know Pujols is a family person. Not saying by any means it's likely to happen, but it's possible.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22722800/ilya-kovalchuk-announces-retirement

I read this article earlier and wasnt surprised to find out who was #1. 

$212M left and the author postulates it would require eating $150M or so of that to move him.  I am certain that no matter how finacially strong the Angels are, there is no way any team can eat that amount of money on a contract. 

Nothing short of a complete and total disaster for the Angels.

TBH, I think anyone who's watched Albert thoughout his career has to be awestruck. The guy goes from hitting a .331 avg for 10 years, then hits an avg .278 for the next 3 years. 

IMO though, Hamilton is a worse deal. Atleast Pujols shows some balls out there. Hamilton just whiffs like a girl then has a sh*t eating grin as he walks back to the dugout.