• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Scioscia be retained at the end of the season?

nate

Should Scioscia be retained at the end of the season?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scioscia be retained at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

YES.

Scioscia should be retained.

If for no other reason than this, we can't afford to buy out any more expensive long term contracts right now.

Wait...I thought there were going to be a dozen teams standing in line for his services??

None of those teams would be willing and able to pick up a major piece of his salary?

If not, maybe he isnt as coveted as many here seem to think.

Get him out of here. Should of been gone a long time ago. Unprepared, error prone, and underperforming go hand in hand with Scioscia these days.

Wrong. If this were the case then why do people who are in the baseball world say otherwise?

He will stay.

Wrong. If this were the case then why do people who are in the baseball world say otherwise?

He will stay.

The only people who over-value Scioscia more than the myopic nutswingers around here, are the so called "baseball people"..the experts that don't watch him manage every day.

He is going to go somewhere else and win multiple WS???

I don't buy that for one second. Sadly, the only way the nutswingers will ever be convinced that Scioscia  is in ANY WAY responsible for the failures that have been mounting and compounding around here, is for him to go somewhere else...and watch the same things happen wherever he ends up.

Unfortunately, the biggest and loudest over-valuer of Scioscia is a guy named Arte. 

LOL at anyone who thinks Scioscia shouldn't have been fired years ago.
The more myopic and lame excuses I read for keeping him, the more angry and curmudgeonly I get.
It is amazing to me that, even after this disaster of a season, it is STILL only a 70-30 split in the poll.

Who are the 30%???

Absolutely he should be fired, because we all know Ryne Sandberg could make Hamilton hit like his MVP year, Blanton pitch like Koufax, heal Pujols' foot, Madsen's and Burnett's arms. 

Sandberg could not do any worse than Mike "casual observer" Scioscia.

Sandberg>>Scioscia as a player.....all he needs is an opportunity to manage in the majors...just like Mike got with the Angels.

Everybody knows if you are a good player you make a terrific manager, huh? 

So Girardi, Francona, Ron Washington, Bochy, etc. were all good players, right?

Interesting to me that the 70% blame the manager not the players for their performance.  That doesn't mean to me we have the right chemistry of players.  That blame falls on the GM.  I want guys on this team that are eager to perform and win - not 30+ year olds with multi-year contracts.  No one can convince me that young players don't look down at the performances of Hamilton and Pujols.  The over-spending for these guys has to stop if you want to see winning attitudes. 

You want to blame Scioscia, which is funny.  I heard the same arguments about Mickey Hatcher.  So has our hitting improved dramatically with Eppard?  The answer is no.  

Assuming this team misses the playoffs for the fourth straight year.  Should he be retained?

Save the 25 million and give to Trout on his extension!

Or are we playing with monopoly money?

I do not believe Scioscia nor any other manager in the history of the game could have taken this team to the playoffs.  Not with this god awful pitching staff, Pujols on one leg, Hamilton turning into Vernon Wells,  and with all the injuries this team has faced.

I voted "no", but not because I think Sosh is a horrible manager.  I just see him and dipoto as not on the same page.  This may be an incorrect assumption but this is asking for opinions so that is mine.

As far as Mike being "dense" or "stupid" or "unaware", that is ridiculous and is just message board myopic hyperbole.

Wait...I thought there were going to be a dozen teams standing in line for his services??

None of those teams would be willing and able to pick up a major piece of his salary?

If not, maybe he isnt as coveted as many here seem to think.

Let me educate you home brew!

The Angels fire Scioscia they would have to buy him out.  If Scioscia demands the full 25 million then he would have to be employed by the Angels and he could not manage another team.  That is why when a team fires a manager under contract they negotiate a buy out.  The team coughs up some serious dough but less than the amount owed.  The soon to be fired manager agrees to less than what is owed, but he is now free to sign with another team.

Let me put it this way.  If you get what you want, the Angels would probably pay Scioscia somewhere between 12-18 million.  Scoscia would then immediately sign a mega deal with a new team.  

its kind of like when a player is waived.  The waiving team pays the entire salary under contract, minus the league minimum if another teams picks him up!

manage a team to its first and only WS title, and people cut you an endless amount of slack.  No matter that it was 11 years ago, and that they've misses the playoffs going on 4+ years with one of the highest payrolls in baseball.

well sorry if I still remember the four out of five division titles into that.  I remember following the Angels for 20 years and only seeing 3 division titles and most of the time they had losing seasons!  How many losing season have Scioscia had in his tenure???  I believe this year will be his third.

Let me educate you home brew!

The Angels fire Scioscia they would have to buy him out.  If Scioscia demands the full 25 million then he would have to be employed by the Angels and he could not manage another team.  That is why when a team fires a manager under contract they negotiate a buy out.  The team coughs up some serious dough but less than the amount owed.  The soon to be fired manager agrees to less than what is owed, but he is now free to sign with another team.

Let me put it this way.  If you get what you want, the Angels would probably pay Scioscia somewhere between 12-18 million.  Scoscia would then immediately sign a mega deal with a new team.  

its kind of like when a player is waived.  The waiving team pays the entire salary under contract, minus the league minimum if another teams picks him up!

No.. it isn't like that, nor is it even" kinda like" that. Unless you are saying that Scioscia's stock has sunk to the point of a Kazmir or GMJ, which I assume you arent.

If Arte can't work a deal that doesn't have him paying 70-80% of such a "highly coveted" and brilliant baseball field general, either Arte is in the wrong business, or Scioscia isnt all that.

Let me educate you. Player and manager contracts are completely different and totally unrealated animals. Nobody outside of the Angels FO and their lawyers even knows exactly what is in Scioscia's contract. "Reported to be" is as close as anyone outside the org can get.

Arte has paid for bad contracts before, and this is another boneheaded mistake that is going to cost him some money...just not as much as you think...not even close.