• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

L.A. Times: Once-Prized Angels pitching prospect Garrett Richards in limbo

Manager Mike Scioscia couldn’t have summed up Garrett Richards’ potential any better Sunday when he said of the Angels right-hander, “There are some things that could make him a good major league starter, and some things that could make him a good major league closer.”

Read on:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-garrett-richards-angels-20130721,0,5330306.story

Yes, let's save the pitcher with potentially your best stuff for mop-up duty in August/September after Blanton and Hanson shit the bed every start.  Awesome use of resources...

Is there a front office anymore or are there just poop-flinging monkeys at the controls?

My thoughts exactly. After Weaver, CJ and Vargas we have an inconsistent 4 and 5 starters. Why don't we use those slots for the Richards? He clearly has the best stuff out of Williams and Hanson. Seriously I don't get the logic in not wanting to see if we have any potential in Richards.

Might as well throw him out there to start. Williams hasn't been good lately and RIchards is younger with more upside, and most likely has more of a future with the team than Williams does. It's also time to give Conger more starts

That's an understatement.

He has been absolutely terrible and has made it almost impossible for the Angels to win his last 4 starts.

People forget we've given Richards many chances and he hasn't taken advantage of it. You really think if he pitched well during his starts back in April he wouldn't have been made permanent in our rotation? I think he has one more chance (give him a full seasons worth, starting from right now until next years deadline) to prove himself. If he doesn't, move him to the bullpen permanently. 

Is he really even an asset in the pen? He has not shown to be a reliable weapon in the pen at all. Agreed that he deserves one more shot in the rotation and if he fails then it's time to look elsewhere. I'm not really high on the guy. Stuff wise it looks good, but his across the body delivery causes inconsistent release points and constant command issues and despite the stuff, his K/9 is pretty pedestrian. As a reliever, you are looking at a guy who doesn't throw strikes at a good % and doesn't miss too many bats. Not the best combo

The only logical reason for Richards to be in the pen is the idea that for 1 or 2 innings he would be lights out and that would benefit a team in need of bullpen help on it's way to the playoffs.  Top teams bring up young starters and let them cut their teeth in the pen in order to get them acclimated. 

Several holes in that theory at this point.

1. This is not a playoff team

2. Richards has been as inconsistent as a reliever as he is as a starter

3. He's not even being used in high leverage situations so they are not even attempting to make him into a high pressure reliever

4. Good teams do it with young players when there are few questions in their rotation otherwise.  Clearly, this is not the case with the halos.

5. If the halos have any farm pitching talent, it's on the bullpen side. They have no viable SP options that are legit rotation guys above high A. 

I understand that the team is trying to help him find the role in which he will be most successful, but he has the most value to the team as a starter.  He has the arsenal and upside to be very good.  Whether he will or not remains to be seen yet they need to find out sooner than later.  Even if he ends up Ervin like, where he mixes several good starts with the occasional blowup for the next couple of years, he would still be better than the Blantons, Hansons, and any other journeyman they might pick up to fill space.  All the while, he would have a really good chance of getting better and being a front line guy. 

I just don't understand the downside of letting him start at this point. 

Let him start. Send Williams back to the bullpen.

Find another starter to replace Blanton. 

Let Conger catch most of the games from now on.

Bring Calhoun up immediately.

If Albert continues to struggle, put him on the DL, regardless of how he feels about it.

Do not bat Trumbo any higher than 6th in the lineup.

Other than trades, I don't know what other things we could do to improve this team.

Trade him to Atlanta.  They seem to know how to work with young pitchers....Walden doing well....Hansen traded away.  Maybe Dipoto can aquire someone even more invisible for another young pitcher with potential.

Yes, he was.  He was a top 100 MLB prospect for Baseball America and MLB.com heading into the 2012 season.

Not to mention being a 3rd round pick despite mediocre numbers at U. of Oklahoma

He could be considered one of the poster persons for Eddie Bane's high risk/high reward philosophy.

Trade BJ for a young ML ready pitcher (Corbin/Skaggs type) still under club control and trade Blanton for as much as you can get and insert Richards. Now you can bring up Calhoun and leave Trout in his rightful position.

My finishing touch would be to bat Trout third in the order. I think MS can figure out the rest from there. Still won't make the playoffs but it could give the team a glimpse of the future.

ps Yes, I think Dipoto could find some contending team in dire straits for a SP. He has had some flashes of performance. I'm sure they'll have to eat some of his contract.

Trade BJ for a young ML ready pitcher (Corbin/Skaggs type) still under club control and trade Blanton for as much as you can get and insert Richards. Now you can bring up Calhoun and leave Trout in his rightful position.

My finishing touch would be to bat Trout third in the order. I think MS can figure out the rest from there. Still won't make the playoffs but it could give the team a glimpse of the future.

ps Yes, I think Dipoto could find some contending team in dire straits for a SP. He has had some flashes of performance. I'm sure they'll have to eat some of his contract.

BJ?   I assume you meant PBJ?