• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New to the AngelsWin.com Community? Introduce yourself here!

AngelsWin.com

15 minutes ago, rskuhn said:

My first trip to Anaheim Stadium came when I was 6 years old.

It was an afternoon game where the Angels hosted the Texas Rangers. Nolan Ryan was pitching. My dad thought it would be fun since his last name is the same as my first. It was corny, but hey that’s my dad for you.

Little did he know the impact he made taking me to that game. He introduced me to my favorite sport, my favorite baseball team and what would eventually become my career.

See, I knew I was never going to play professional sports, but I wanted to be as close to the game as possible.

Fast forward decades later here I am, angelswin.com’s newest writer with an opportunity to cover Major League Baseball on a daily basis.

My career has taken me all over, first getting my bachelor’s degree in journalism from Sacramento State and stops soon after in Ridgecrest, California, Ellensburg, Washington and Helena, Montana covering all sorts of high school, college, minor and major league sports.

My first opportunity to cover Major League Baseball came in 2018 reporting on the Seattle Mariners. It was brief but I was in heaven. Let me cover a baseball game over a Super Bowl any day. Most would say no, but not me.

Now back in Southern California and running my own high school sports website, socoprepsports.com, I have an opportunity to write about baseball again. Thank you Chuck Richter for this opportunity.

I take this profession very seriously, and my principles are simple and old-fashioned. Good journalism is good business.

I will make it a point to create content that will encompass game coverage, analyses, the hot stove, features and even some opinion.

My fandom will not get in the way and will compose each piece in a professional, accurate manner.

I look forward to interacting with all of you on the message boards and hope my articles will shine brightly under the halo.

Follow me on Twitter at @rskuhn

This was outstanding. Hope you actually post your thoughts here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, angelsfan100 said:

I just found this forum because I wanted a place to discuss the Halos! With other Angels fans. I tried the Angels subreddit, but I found they were too sensitive and couldn't handle any critical thoughts about the team. I have been an Angels fan since the Vladdy days, (I was blown away to see a guy bat with no gloves). but it was really when the Trout/Trumbo duo showed up that shot up my interest in the Angels and baseball again. I'm a 28 year old living in Arizona. 

I remember a game against the red sucks; Vald hit a homer with the ball at his ankles. What an amazing player he was.

• 2 weeks later...

Kampy here...

Halo fan since the late 1970s when I was a little kid growing up a stone's throw from the Big A. My first year at Olive Little League tee-ball, I swung so hard I missed the ball and was embarrassed, and coach said: "Stop trying to be Reggie Jackson. Try to be Rod Carew." and explained what that meant. This was right after the Twins traded Carew to the Angels, and Rod Carew became my first sports hero (along with Pat Haden) and I still wear #29 Angels jerseys because of him. The best hitter ever. I'm still bitter they didn't bring him back for '86, and think that decision cursed us in the ALCS that year, and the 15+ year playoff drought that followed.

Spent a chunk of my life in the midwest (KC) and even worked a couple summers at Royals Stadium, but stayed a loyal Angel fan. After college, moved back to CA where my first job was working at the Big A as a graphic / signage designer in the merchandising marketing dept, during Disney's renovation of the Big A. (The "Clutch & Scoop" era! lol)

I was there in 2002 when we finally broke the curse and got our chip. My #1 favorite sports moment, and always will be... until Mizzou wins a national championship.

Compared to most Angel fans, I hold a couple very unpopular opinions, so might as well air them out here in my first post:

1. Despite my born-and-raised-in-OC roots and fondness for the city of Anaheim, "Los Angeles Angels" is the correct / best name for the team.

2. Arte Moreno is NOT evil incarnate. Do I think he's a good owner? No. Do I wish he'd sell the team? Yes. But it's hard to deny that his first decade~ish of ownership coincided with the only sustained run of success the franchise has ever had, and almost all our division titles. I think Arte's early success with expensive FAs like Vlad, Bartolo, Torii went to his head and made him think he knew as much as his GMs and led to Pujols, Hamilton, CJW, Upton, etc's franchise-crippling contracts. I suspect that Arte cares and wants to win, but he sucks at it. I wish he and Carpino would just step into the background and let others run the organization... it just feels like that would clear out a lot of the bad mojo that's been festering for the past decade. But Arte and Carpino have been working together for over 40 years, way before he bought the Angels, so Arte will never ever let go of Carpino as long as he's owner.

One more thing I want to add... 

I believe the most under-appreciated and unknown aspect of the Angels is their rich history in Los Angeles, and I'm not just talking about the fascinating story of the Autry-O'Malley rivalry that spawned MLB's first expansion franchise. Autry's expansion team adopted the name, logos, colors, and even a few players from the team that ruled L.A. baseball for 60+ years before O'Malley bought them and immediately banished them to Tacoma to make room for his Dodgers... the Los Angeles Angels that started professional sports in Los Angeles way back in 1892, were founding members of the Pacific Coast League in 1902, and were L.A.'s favorite sports team for over half a century, dominating the PCL before affiliating with the Cubs.

It's crazy to me that this part of the Angels' heritage... the 70 years leading up to 1961, is NEVER talked about. Someone should really write a book and/or make a documentary about this early history and the weird circumstances that led to Gene Autry starting the franchise... if anybody reading this has the resources to finance such a project, I've got my pitch ready for presentation!

GO HALOS! 

–Kampy

42 minutes ago, Kampy said:

Kampy here...

Halo fan since the late 1970s when I was a little kid growing up a stone's throw from the Big A. My first year at Olive Little League tee-ball, I swung so hard I missed the ball and was embarrassed, and coach said: "Stop trying to be Reggie Jackson. Try to be Rod Carew." and explained what that meant. This was right after the Twins traded Carew to the Angels, and Rod Carew became my first sports hero (along with Pat Haden) and I still wear #29 Angels jerseys because of him. The best hitter ever. I'm still bitter they didn't bring him back for '86, and think that decision cursed us in the ALCS that year, and the 15+ year playoff drought that followed.

Spent a chunk of my life in the midwest (KC) and even worked a couple summers at Royals Stadium, but stayed a loyal Angel fan. After college, moved back to CA where my first job was working at the Big A as a graphic / signage designer in the merchandising marketing dept, during Disney's renovation of the Big A. (The "Clutch & Scoop" era! lol)

I was there in 2002 when we finally broke the curse and got our chip. My #1 favorite sports moment, and always will be... until Mizzou wins a national championship.

Compared to most Angel fans, I hold a couple very unpopular opinions, so might as well air them out here in my first post:

1. Despite my born-and-raised-in-OC roots and fondness for the city of Anaheim, "Los Angeles Angels" is the correct / best name for the team.

2. Arte Moreno is NOT evil incarnate. Do I think he's a good owner? No. Do I wish he'd sell the team? Yes. But it's hard to deny that his first decade~ish of ownership coincided with the only sustained run of success the franchise has ever had, and almost all our division titles. I think Arte's early success with expensive FAs like Vlad, Bartolo, Torii went to his head and made him think he knew as much as his GMs and led to Pujols, Hamilton, CJW, Upton, etc's franchise-crippling contracts. I suspect that Arte cares and wants to win, but he sucks at it. I wish he and Carpino would just step into the background and let others run the organization... it just feels like that would clear out a lot of the bad mojo that's been festering for the past decade. But Arte and Carpino have been working together for over 40 years, way before he bought the Angels, so Arte will never ever let go of Carpino as long as he's owner.

One more thing I want to add... 

I believe the most under-appreciated and unknown aspect of the Angels is their rich history in Los Angeles, and I'm not just talking about the fascinating story of the Autry-O'Malley rivalry that spawned MLB's first expansion franchise. Autry's expansion team adopted the name, logos, colors, and even a few players from the team that ruled L.A. baseball for 60+ years before O'Malley bought them and immediately banished them to Tacoma to make room for his Dodgers... the Los Angeles Angels that started professional sports in Los Angeles way back in 1892, were founding members of the Pacific Coast League in 1902, and were L.A.'s favorite sports team for over half a century, dominating the PCL before affiliating with the Cubs.

It's crazy to me that this part of the Angels' heritage... the 70 years leading up to 1961, is NEVER talked about. Someone should really write a book and/or make a documentary about this early history and the weird circumstances that led to Gene Autry starting the franchise... if anybody reading this has the resources to finance such a project, I've got my pitch ready for presentation!

GO HALOS! 

–Kampy

Great introduction, @Kampy. Welcome to AngelsWin.com

I noticed you have Rod Carew as your profile picture. We had the chance to interview him a couple years back if you want to check it out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Angel fan since 1970 when I was on the California Angels in single A baseball in Buffalo, NY. I've never been to an Angels game but have been following the box scores ever since. I've been to games at Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley, Candlestick and Comiskey. I did have a chance to get cheap World Series tickets at Angels' Stadium in 2002 but was invited to my cousin's son's Bar Mitzvah in NYC. I was there watching the game and had a painful kidney stone while there so maybe it was good that I didn't fly out to LA for the WS. But that would have been exciting to have a ticket to the second to the last WS game.

Then again, I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan and in 1993 went to a playoff game on my birthday...or at least tried to go. I got lost on the way to Bills' Stadium and by the time I got there, it was halftime and the Bills were down 28-3. First thing in the third quarter, the other team scored another TD to make it 35-3. I'm like: should I spend money on this or just watch it in a nearby bar?...(the game was blacked out locally). I decided to watch it in the bar and sure enough, the Bills came back to win the game 38-35 against Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers, the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history. D'oh!

54 minutes ago, Chico said:

Angel fan since 1970 when I was on the California Angels in single A baseball in Buffalo, NY. I've never been to an Angels game but have been following the box scores ever since. I've been to games at Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley, Candlestick and Comiskey. I did have a chance to get cheap World Series tickets at Angels' Stadium in 2002 but was invited to my cousin's son's Bar Mitzvah in NYC. I was there watching the game and had a painful kidney stone while there so maybe it was good that I didn't fly out to LA for the WS. But that would have been exciting to have a ticket to the second to the last WS game.

Then again, I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan and in 1993 went to a playoff game on my birthday...or at least tried to go. I got lost on the way to Bills' Stadium and by the time I got there, it was halftime and the Bills were down 28-3. First thing in the third quarter, the other team scored another TD to make it 35-3. I'm like: should I spend money on this or just watch it in a nearby bar?...(the game was blacked out locally). I decided to watch it in the bar and sure enough, the Bills came back to win the game 38-35 against Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers, the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history. D'oh!

Welcome to AW, @Chico👍 If some of your life choices are anything to go by, I'm looking forward to your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all! I was on the original message boards on the Angels MLB website back in the day. I wonder how many of you were on there as well? I believe I used to come on here when this site first started, but many things have changed since then. This site looks tremendous now. I will be around and look forward to talking Angels Baseball with you all...🤙

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Greetings all! I was on the original message boards on the Angels MLB website back in the day. I wonder how many of you were on there as well? I believe I used to come on here when this site first started, but many things have changed since then. This site looks tremendous now. I will be around and look forward to talking Angels Baseball with you all...🤙

Welcome, @MadMax

There are tons of folks from the original MLB Angels message board here. 

@Spirit, @Blarg, @BaseballMom so many others who I think changed their names since they moved here.

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

Hey Max - Angels MLB chatroom quiz:  What was the name of the poster who was referred to as "He who shall not be named?" 

Hey AngelsWin community!

I just created my account, I've been working with Chuck lately and I'm a new content creator for AngelsWin.com. Im a diehard sports lover, I rock with the Angels for baseball and the New England Patriots for football. Growing up I had aspirations to play professional athletics myself. I played football and ran track & field in high school, I excelled in track and won county medals in the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m. I progressed into collegiate track although my dream was cut short when I was gifted with chronic shin splints. Bone scraping, freezing, heating, electrocuting, and massaging all daily from the training staff didn't do a thing. My passion for working in the sports world has only grown larger and I'm currently working on obtaining my law degree in order to chase a sports agent/executive career. In the meantime I have found great delight in content creation for sports media, I am self-taught in graphic design and photography. I have photographed for the New England Patriots and created graphic design content for other major media pages in the past. I look forward to working with AngelsWin.com, getting intertwined with the community, and enjoying this 2023 season! LFG

(I will attach some of my favorite pieces I have created in the past)

JabrillPeppersPatriotsswap.thumb.png.4f417d572517edd5dc353f48d3299ae0.pngOlaveSaintsswap.thumb.png.e0e71bf1daf18774d04620ca3eb73548.pngJCJacksonswap.thumb.png.fe4a31fb69f82b58181343cf116c1cc4.pngRussBroncosedit.jpg.b60333fbc4515625c92a31e4a7ac61cc.jpgDavanteAdamsVegasswap.thumb.png.948e7e9169a82a2b10b7534e1a4db341.pngWatsonBrownsswap.thumb.png.92c9f52ca9783c199ecf5c6f2a91ff06.png