• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New to the AngelsWin.com Community? Introduce yourself here!

AngelsWin.com

@Coover I also saw the Angels play in their brand new stadium in 1966 but not on opening day and I was only 7 years old. But that night the Angels were playing the Orioles and the PA announced Rick Reichardt in left field and I was an Angels fan for life, my nickname was Rick.

My first game and I got free baseball, the game went extra innings, Reichardt was involved in every Angels run, either as a run scored or rbi, even scored a runner on an infield error and was Intentionally walked. It was the best game of his "66 campaign, the best game I saw him play in and they still lost in 10 innings. 

By the end of July Reichardt was out because of kidney surgery. The Angels finished 6th in a ten team American League. At least they were better than the Yankees that finished last. 

2 hours ago, Coover said:

I became an Angel Fan even before the Major League Club was formed. My dad started taking me to Angel games in the late 1940s or early 1950s when the Los Angeles Angels were in the Pacific Coast League and played at Wrigley Field, 43rd Place and Avalon.

Hey Coover, welcome to the forum. I too was introduced to Baseball by way of the old Pacific Coast League back in the 1940's. And just like you I was a diehard Angel fan. Hated those damn cross-town Hollywood Stars though. I hated them almost as much as I hated the 'Brooklyn Bums' for moving here and displacing our PCL Angels.

Looking forward to having a few forum chats with you about the old PCL Angels and the early days of our current Angels. I'm sure that we share some of the same memories. There are 2 or 3 other posters on this board that I am pretty sure are about the same age as us (I'm 75), so it would be kind of fun if we all chipped in and shared some of our old stories, and hopefully rekindle some old memories.  

4 hours ago, fanfromday1 said:

Hey Coover, welcome to the forum. I too was introduced to Baseball by way of the old Pacific Coast League back in the 1940's. And just like you I was a diehard Angel fan. Hated those damn cross-town Hollywood Stars though. I hated them almost as much as I hated the 'Brooklyn Bums' for moving here and displacing our PCL Angels.

Looking forward to having a few forum chats with you about the old PCL Angels and the early days of our current Angels. I'm sure that we share some of the same memories. There are 2 or 3 other posters on this board that I am pretty sure are about the same age as us (I'm 75), so it would be kind of fun if we all chipped in and shared some of our old stories, and hopefully rekindle some old memories.  

Here is a memory that I enjoy ... my bedtime was 9:30 or so, and my parents went to bed about 9:30. The Angels were playing somebody and I was watching on Channel 9, the PCL Angels Baseball channel. When my parents were going to bed, they mentioned to me to not stay up too late. I told them truthfully that the game was in the bottom of the 8th, or maybe the 9th inning and asked if I could watch the game until it ended. They said OK. What I did not tell them was the game was tied. It was still tied at the end of the 9th and I continued watching. The game continued tied through the 16th inning and finally ended in the 17th, the Angels winning. It was 3:30 in the AM and my mother got up to go to the bathroom and saw me sitting watchin the TV and the end of the game. "I told you to not stay up so late" she said. "You told me I could stay up until the end of the game" I replied with a smile. The consequences of that remark were pretty serious, but I still smile thinking of that game.  

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to finally register! I have been fortunate enough to be involved in some Angel Stadium operations and have seen things from the inside out. I was given access to shoot and produce a video of a 4th of July fireworks show from a "behind the scenes" perspective which includes the crew starting very early, working all day to set the show in the back parking lot, the actual show with footage from different locations including cameras mounted to the launch tubes. I used an early home-built drone and time-lapse footage. It was a real highlight for me, being an Angels fan!

I hope you enjoy … 

BEHIND THE SCENES - THE MAKING OF AN ANGELS STADIUM FIREWORKS SHOW

Hi all,
  Been on this site from way back, posted in the beginning but really not my forte so pretty much a lurker for at least 13 years. How do I know 13 years? Because Chuck invited me to stop by and say Hi when on a family trip to Seattle when my now almost 14 year old was 8 weeks old. Side note, Chuck never told me where to meet him 🙂 but it was the thought that counted(?) Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to reintroduce myself since I recently asked Chuck if my non-profit could join in the fun as a monthly charity. Back then when the site was in its infant stages I posted my introduction as "Hi, I'm Patrick, People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded. Ah, simpler times.

Angels history, been with them since the early 70's ( so both thank you Dad and F U Dad) with one of my first games being Ryan's 4th no-hitter when I was 8 years old. My Dad helped drywall Buzzie Bavasi's office and met him, as a then 13 year old, and wanted to punch him in the nuts because he had just let Ryan walk. Went and watched them as far back as Palm Spring days and have seen them play in 11 different stadiums so far. Best live memories: My girls first games at the stadium, them meeting Mike Trout (twice), being in the stadium for 4 of the 2002 playoff/WS games, each one a win, post Skaggs no-hitter, taking 2 out of 3 while wearing my gear at Fenway, and for an oldie, being at all 3 games vs Yanks 7/13-7/15 1979 and sitting at the foul ball which Baylor's 3-R HR hit in the bottom of 9th to tie the Saturday game. Can still see that ball hit the screen and yes I had to look up those dates but man what a series that was.  Lots more but those come to mind.

And since I've been on here a while, yes, I know what "craig" is/was, my favorite uniform is the 93-96 CA uni's, you're and idiot, and the best play I ever saw live was not an Angels play, it was Curtis Samuel sweep run for 15 yards in 2016 for Buckeyes 2 OT win over TTUN, I was sitting in the corner of the end zone.  And yes I'm one of those guys who still thinks it's all about HR, RBI, ERA, Wins and Losses, sorry I know that's not as the kids say, hip today, but whatever. Like Nuke said, sometimes you win, sometime you lose and sometimes it rains. It's pretty much that simple. 

If my charity does happen to pop up this year I will be happy to jump back in and tell you all about it, it's a great mission and hopefully you'll all get to learn more about it should we be lucky enough to have it show up as a charity. Peace out boys, hope it's a good year but can't say I'm too optimistic. 

Patrick

You waited 13 years to post?  And the only reason you started posting now was to pimp your charity?

Get Out Romano GIF by TV Land - Find & Share on GIPHY

Nice guys don't fit in here.  We're all a-holes.

You can stay if you know how to make a good sammich.

Edited by T.G.

Hello All, 

I've been a fan since I was just a wee lad. My mom got me hooked because her dad took her to games. Dad is a Dodgers fan, but didn't care enough to convert his only son. My parents took us to Angels games when we were little because they were cheaper and Dodger Stadium was dangerous. The Angels lost the first 19 games I attended as a kid until finally in 1997 they beat the Brewers. I used to read the USA Today (pre-Boob) on family vacations and get pissed because the Angels scores weren't in there. I used to think, "Seriously? These guys can't stay up just a little later?" I remember crossing my fingers on the :15 and :45 minute updates on the radio hoping the Angels had finally solved their Geronimo Berroa problem. I lived in the midwest for awhile, and I'll never forget watching them hit 5 straight singles off Wells in '02 to win the ALDS. That year was incredible (my mom got to fly back for Game 6). 

Since then, I've moved back and enjoy going to 8-10 games a year. It's one of my favorite places to be. When I read on Twitter that Mike Trout was making his debut, I called in sick bought a single ticket and went and watched. I was at Ohtani's home pitching debut (sigh) when the whole stadium (even Dodger dad) went crazy with every K. 

Joined recently because I needed to know other fans were as disappointed as I was. And I have not been let down! 

Looking forward to arguing pointlessly and sharing some excitement here. Cheers. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, riverlake said:

So glad to finally register! I have been fortunate enough to be involved in some Angel Stadium operations and have seen things from the inside out. I was given access to shoot and produce a video of a 4th of July fireworks show from a "behind the scenes" perspective which includes the crew starting very early, working all day to set the show in the back parking lot, the actual show with footage from different locations including cameras mounted to the launch tubes. I used an early home-built drone and time-lapse footage. It was a real highlight for me, being an Angels fan!

I hope you enjoy … 

BEHIND THE SCENES - THE MAKING OF AN ANGELS STADIUM FIREWORKS SHOW

12 hours ago, Halos5150 said:

Hi all,
  Been on this site from way back, posted in the beginning but really not my forte so pretty much a lurker for at least 13 years. How do I know 13 years? Because Chuck invited me to stop by and say Hi when on a family trip to Seattle when my now almost 14 year old was 8 weeks old. Side note, Chuck never told me where to meet him 🙂 but it was the thought that counted(?) Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to reintroduce myself since I recently asked Chuck if my non-profit could join in the fun as a monthly charity. Back then when the site was in its infant stages I posted my introduction as "Hi, I'm Patrick, People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded. Ah, simpler times.

Angels history, been with them since the early 70's ( so both thank you Dad and F U Dad) with one of my first games being Ryan's 4th no-hitter when I was 8 years old. My Dad helped drywall Buzzie Bavasi's office and met him, as a then 13 year old, and wanted to punch him in the nuts because he had just let Ryan walk. Went and watched them as far back as Palm Spring days and have seen them play in 11 different stadiums so far. Best live memories: My girls first games at the stadium, them meeting Mike Trout (twice), being in the stadium for 4 of the 2002 playoff/WS games, each one a win, post Skaggs no-hitter, taking 2 out of 3 while wearing my gear at Fenway, and for an oldie, being at all 3 games vs Yanks 7/13-7/15 1979 and sitting at the foul ball which Baylor's 3-R HR hit in the bottom of 9th to tie the Saturday game. Can still see that ball hit the screen and yes I had to look up those dates but man what a series that was.  Lots more but those come to mind.

And since I've been on here a while, yes, I know what "craig" is/was, my favorite uniform is the 93-96 CA uni's, you're and idiot, and the best play I ever saw live was not an Angels play, it was Curtis Samuel sweep run for 15 yards in 2016 for Buckeyes 2 OT win over TTUN, I was sitting in the corner of the end zone.  And yes I'm one of those guys who still thinks it's all about HR, RBI, ERA, Wins and Losses, sorry I know that's not as the kids say, hip today, but whatever. Like Nuke said, sometimes you win, sometime you lose and sometimes it rains. It's pretty much that simple. 

If my charity does happen to pop up this year I will be happy to jump back in and tell you all about it, it's a great mission and hopefully you'll all get to learn more about it should we be lucky enough to have it show up as a charity. Peace out boys, hope it's a good year but can't say I'm too optimistic. 

Patrick

On 2/1/2021 at 7:50 AM, Coover said:

Introducing myself to the forum ...

I became an Angel Fan even before the Major League Club was formed. My dad started taking me to Angel games in the late 1940s or early 1950s when the Los Angeles Angels were in the Pacific Coast League and played at Wrigley Field, 43rd Place and Avalon. We'd usually go to the Sunday doubleheaders where the Angels would play a 9 inning game and then a 7 inning game. My best memory of those games was one Sunday where a former Major Leaguer. Max West, hit 4 home runs in the first game and 3 more in the second. His Home Runs were not particularly long and most barely cleared the wall near the foul pole (339 feet) or in right center (345 feet), but what an impressive day it was for me, a youngster at the time. When the Brooklyn Dodgers came Los Angeles, my team, my Angels were gone. It was sad. I followed the Dodgers as they were the only pro team in town for awhile, but when Gene Autry got the American League franchise, I HAD MY ANGELS BACK,  and I've rooted for them since. I am now 79 years old and have been to hundreds, maybe thousands of Angels games. I was at the Angel's first game at Anaheim Stadium in 1966 and was a Season Ticket holder for several years. And when I wasn't at the game, I usually was in front of a TV somewhere, in my home or elsewhere, watching my beloved Angels. That is true, even to this day. 

Today, I live in Calimesa, about 60 miles east of Anaheim Stadium and have night blindness so I can no longer drive at night, so even if fans were allowed to attend the games, I probably would not be at many. I attended (probably) 5 games in 2019, but was able to watch most on TV. But I do love my Angels, even after all these years. 

We have lots of talent on the 2021 team, but still need pitching, both starting and relief. I've been watching to see what new GM Perry Minasian is doing, and he has added some talent to the team, but on February 1, 2021, he has not been able to add the talent the Angels need to contend. I am disappointed in what he has been able to do so far, but hope he will not disappoint me by the start of the season. He still has time to find more talent. But if he does or he does not, I will continue to root for the Angels, win or lose. I AM AN ANGEL FAN FOR LIFE. Let's win it all again!

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Hello All, 

I've been a fan since I was just a wee lad. My mom got me hooked because her dad took her to games. Dad is a Dodgers fan, but didn't care enough to convert his only son. My parents took us to Angels games when we were little because they were cheaper and Dodger Stadium was dangerous. The Angels lost the first 19 games I attended as a kid until finally in 1997 they beat the Brewers. I used to read the USA Today (pre-Boob) on family vacations and get pissed because the Angels scores weren't in there. I used to think, "Seriously? These guys can't stay up just a little later?" I remember crossing my fingers on the :15 and :45 minute updates on the radio hoping the Angels had finally solved their Geronimo Berroa problem. I lived in the midwest for awhile, and I'll never forget watching them hit 5 straight singles off Wells in '02 to win the ALDS. That year was incredible (my mom got to fly back for Game 6). 

Since then, I've moved back and enjoy going to 8-10 games a year. It's one of my favorite places to be. When I read on Twitter that Mike Trout was making his debut, I called in sick bought a single ticket and went and watched. I was at Ohtani's home pitching debut (sigh) when the whole stadium (even Dodger dad) went crazy with every K. 

Joined recently because I needed to know other fans were as disappointed as I was. And I have not been let down! 

Looking forward to arguing pointlessly and sharing some excitement here. Cheers. 

Welcome to AngelsWin.com @Coover, @riverlake, @ThisismineScios & @Halos5150.  

You all have shared great intros and stories and we're all looking forward to getting to know you more through the community. 

Please reach out to me directly if you have any issues or need help navigating and using the platform here. 

I owe a couple of you a PM back. I will be responding back today. It has been busy of late on my side of things, so I apologize for the delay. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jimjeffrey said:

Long time Angels fan. Actually attended some games in their inaugural year (1961) at the old Wrigley Field in Los Angeles with my dad. Hope they turn it around this year! Am interested if anyone has a guess as to who will be the play by play announcer, replacing Victor Rojas?

Welcome to the board.

Don't feel shy about posting in the threads.

We all had to start at sometime.

Hello everyone.

I started watching baseball on a late night show back in the late 1990’s over here in England, and as I have followed a big football (soccer) team since childhood I wanted to walk a different road and have a different fan experience, so the MFYankees, (Brooklyn) Dodgers, and Red Sucks were out from the beginning. I tried to like the Mets, but hey, it’s the Mets and I didn’t want to be embroiled in a never-ending tragicomedy so that never took hold. Tried to like a couple of others too for various obscure reasons (Braves because of the crowd Tomahawk song for example) but nothing really stuck. I was hoping to like an East Coast team to make it easier to watch games live in England.

Now, there’s a saying in football (soccer) that you don’t choose your team, your team chooses you and that’s what happened to me with the Angels in the 2002 ALDS. I’d never heard of Anaheim and had to look it up on a map to see where it was but as they were playing a MFYankees team that had dominated the AL for several years I was rooting for them to win just to see the MFY’s fail, but I didn’t really care too much at the out-set. And then I watched the Angels play!

Small-ball baseball with singles and doubles, guys in motion, 1st to 3rd base-running, stolen bases and a never say die hustle epitomised by Eckstein (my first favourite player) with the occasional big-shot from Glaus, GA and Salmon, pitching rookies with attitude like Lackey and KRod, the team was an absolute joy to watch, they just never seemed to quit. Even the rally monkey was fun. I was hooked during that ALDS and the Angels didn’t disappoint thereafter (well, not for a few years anyway): underdogs all the way until Dusty Baker gave the game ball to the starter in Game 6 of the WS and then I witnessed one of the most phenomenal comebacks I’ve ever enjoyed watching sports. I think I’ve re-watched game 6 half a dozen times since (I’ve got in on in the background as I write this - Glaus just doubled in Figgy and GA in the 8th and still nearly 20 years later I’m cheering and fist-pumping).

Aside from that I am pretty much a contrarian and occasionally a miserable git, so I’m hoping to fit right in at AW from what I've seen so far. 

6 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Hello everyone.

I started watching baseball on a late night show back in the late 1990’s over here in England, and as I have followed a big football (soccer) team since childhood I wanted to walk a different road and have a different fan experience, so the MFYankees, (Brooklyn) Dodgers, and Red Sucks were out from the beginning. I tried to like the Mets, but hey, it’s the Mets and I didn’t want to be embroiled in a never-ending tragicomedy so that never took hold. Tried to like a couple of others too for various obscure reasons (Braves because of the crowd Tomahawk song for example) but nothing really stuck. I was hoping to like an East Coast team to make it easier to watch games live in England.

Now, there’s a saying in football (soccer) that you don’t choose your team, your team chooses you and that’s what happened to me with the Angels in the 2002 ALDS. I’d never heard of Anaheim and had to look it up on a map to see where it was but as they were playing a MFYankees team that had dominated the AL for several years I was rooting for them to win just to see the MFY’s fail, but I didn’t really care too much at the out-set. And then I watched the Angels play!

Small-ball baseball with singles and doubles, guys in motion, 1st to 3rd base-running, stolen bases and a never say die hustle epitomised by Eckstein (my first favourite player) with the occasional big-shot from Glaus, GA and Salmon, pitching rookies with attitude like Lackey and KRod, the team was an absolute joy to watch, they just never seemed to quit. Even the rally monkey was fun. I was hooked during that ALDS and the Angels didn’t disappoint thereafter (well, not for a few years anyway): underdogs all the way until Dusty Baker gave the game ball to the starter in Game 6 of the WS and then I witnessed one of the most phenomenal comebacks I’ve ever enjoyed watching sports. I think I’ve re-watched game 6 half a dozen times since (I’ve got in on in the background as I write this - Glaus just doubled in Figgy and GA in the 8th and still nearly 20 years later I’m cheering and fist-pumping).

Aside from that I am pretty much a contrarian and occasionally a miserable git, so I’m hoping to fit right in at AW from what I've seen so far. 

Welcome to the board!

Look forward to seeing you post in some threads.