• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Playoff Chances

Screw the playoffs -- fix the ship and be ready for 2014.   If AP needs to get his foot fixed, fix it now, same goes with anyone nursing a hidden injury or lingering ailment.  If this team intends to keep Richards, then start him the rest of the year.  Take the lost season and make some lemonade out of the lemons.   Scott Downs, Kevin Jepsen, and every other pending FA or final year arbitration player should be put on the trade market.  There is talent on this team and the farm system while awful has been showing some positives.  Start mapping out the 2014 team and if the fans start crying about four years no playoffs -- let them cry.   If you can't fill the park -- then lower the prices.  

While I agree intellectually in letting this season go and trading away sellable parts--at least if they don't make up significant group in the next two weeks--purely based on probabilities, we have to remember the actual players on the team. How do you tell the players that you, management, are giving up on the season?

But yeah, I agree that if they don't much up some ground against Oakland and Texas then its time to trade away the pieces that you can, whether its Vargas (if he comes back healthy), Hanson (if someone takes him), Downs, Jepsen, de la Rosa, even Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo.

While I agree intellectually in letting this season go and trading away sellable parts--at least if they don't make up significant group in the next two weeks--purely based on probabilities, we have to remember the actual players on the team. How do you tell the players that you, management, are giving up on the season?

But yeah, I agree that if they don't much up some ground against Oakland and Texas then its time to trade away the pieces that you can, whether its Vargas (if he comes back healthy), Hanson (if someone takes him), Downs, Jepsen, de la Rosa, even Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo.

Tell them if they hadn't stunk so bad the first two months then they wouldn't be selling. The players know what happened.

Playoffs? Playoffs?  We're sellers at trade deadline time here, not buyers.......

perhaps a good thing.

If we wound up at or above .500 at the ASB, Halos might be tempted to be buyers and make some real bad, expensive and even further farm system depleting trades for rental rotation guys.

so, maybe it's best Halos tanked on the 5 game road trip heading into the ASB.

if the angels were able to dump pujols and hamilton, would you be in favor of a full rebuilding period? the astros suck now but i think their current plan is pretty solid.

Honestly, I am getting close to writing off Pujols and Hamilton as total losses like VW. By that I mean they will be total losses by the time this team makes the playoffs again. This team is a more than one or two pieces away from competing. We have nothing in the farm that will get us there or can trade for something that can get us there. I am for a full rebuild even with them on the roster. People have argued you can't rebuild with a $100 million payroll but I don't see why you can't. You spend $70 million on sunk costs and $30 million on the rest of the roster. Trade everyone you can for prospects and we could be competing in 2-3 years with Trout as the team centerpiece. We have a lot of talent that could rebuild the farm quickly. Vargas, Kendrick, Aybar, Frieri, Trumbo, Bourjos, De La Rosa, Conger/Ianetta, and Jepson could all get us guys who are contributing to a competitive team in 2015 or 16.

Screw the playoffs -- fix the ship and be ready for 2014.   If AP needs to get his foot fixed, fix it now, same goes with anyone nursing a hidden injury or lingering ailment.  If this team intends to keep Richards, then start him the rest of the year.  Take the lost season and make some lemonade out of the lemons.   Scott Downs, Kevin Jepsen, and every other pending FA or final year arbitration player should be put on the trade market.  There is talent on this team and the farm system while awful has been showing some positives.  Start mapping out the 2014 team and if the fans start crying about four years no playoffs -- let them cry.   If you can't fill the park -- then lower the prices.  

Well said. Would hate to see them just sit around while the team continues to just play mediocre ball the rest of the way, finishing with around 80 wins and nothing to show for it

Rest Pujols up so he can be healthy for next season and trade off guys who aren't a part of the long term plan

if the angels were able to dump pujols and hamilton, would you be in favor of a full rebuilding period? the astros suck now but i think their current plan is pretty solid.

Things wouldn't be that much worse if they did find at least a partial buyer for them (ala the Raviners and the Red Sux).

They haven't produced that many extra wins in 2013, and probably won't going forward. 

Problem is, we don't have an A-Gone to package with them and no way should we package Trout even to rid ourselves of some $200 million at least.   We don't need to give Trout the Ruth/Red Sux treatment.   Arte ain't hurting like Harry Frazee was. 

Things wouldn't be that much worse if they did find at least a partial buyer for them (ala the Raviners and the Red Sux).

They haven't produced that many extra wins in 2013, and probably won't going forward. 

Problem is, we don't have an A-Gone to package with them and no way should we package Trout even to rid ourselves of some $200 million at least.   We don't need to give Trout the Ruth/Red Sux treatment.   Arte ain't hurting like Harry Frazee was. 

Vernon Wells is a FA after next season... Short porch in RF... Yankees will have been below the luxury tax for some time so they won't get the big penalties. Hamilton to the Yankees!

I'm on board for that Hamilton trade.    I hope though that the Skanks have some REAL ready for MLB prospects this time, and not that fake MLB player Jesus Montero, one of the biggest busts of the past few years.    Not quite as big of a bust as #1 overall pick Matt Bush for the Padres, but to go from top 10 prospects in all of MLB to being demoted to AAA after stinking it up for the M's is pretty bad in its' own right.  

I can't even pretend to sugarcoat this mess. Dropping 3 to the Mariners did not help at all. The Angels are 4-6 in their last ten. I mean to have any sort of hope the Angels are going to have to put on their big boy pants and start winning. 

I'm going to use an example that might inspire some sort of hope for this team. 2011 Cardinals. 10.5 out...through some miracles, luck and good fortune from the baseball gods we got into the play offs and won it all. In that span to even make the wild card the Cardinals went an astounding 21-9 to get there. Although I know the odds of something like that happening again is like 1 in a cool million, but until you are mathematically eliminated there is a chance. Baseball is funny that way.

BUT...the Angels again need to get it done. Trout and Trumbo cannot do it alone. Hamiltion/Pujols need to do their jobs because if Pujols is too proud to go to the DL then he should not be using his foot as an excuse am I right? Play though the pain and get it done or get on the DL and stop hampering the team. Hamilton has been picking it up here and there, but more needs to be done.

This team is bi-polar...great pitching offense goes mute...bad pitching the offense shows up but when a team has a 5,6,7 run lead its hard to make up that ground. This team has shown that when firing on all cylinders they can be one of the best I just don't know what it will take to find the balance.