• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bold Trade Deadline Predictions 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BTH said:

Detmers traded for an equivalent position player. 

No chance with Sandoval out, Anderson possibly dealt, Canning underwhelming and Soriano likely on some sort of innings-limit. Selling pretty low too. They’d have to be getting another upper-level SP arm back in addition to an equivalent hitter. Baltimore is maybe the only team I could see offering the right combo to land Detmers, perhaps if someone like Crochet’s price is way too high.

Now, if the Angels draft Nick Kurtz…I could see Schanuel being dealt, not unlike the Marsh for O’Hoppe deal.

I know Marsh’s defense and position was a big part of his value, but Schanuel’s offense is ahead of where Marsh was when he was dealt (and at a younger age). I could see a team like Milwaukee, San Diego or Tampa that has a good farm, a decent offense already in place and is budget-conscious definitely having interest in adding someone like Schanuel to their lineup for the next few years.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Tank said:

i wouldn't make any trades with a division rival. 

Houston & Atlanta's systems are ranked down at the bottom with the Angels. Their systems are ranked that way because of promotions, not because of scouting unlike the Angels. Because of that, i would steer clear of those org's, along with the Yankees.

Perry trades Ward, Rengifo, Anderson, Estevez, Garcia, Strickland...and Matt Thaiss. Some are paired together (Ward/Strickland, Rengifo/Garcia), so I won't count them below.

Thaiss, as a LHH backup catcher with 3 more years of control, proves very valuable. 

In terms of our new Top 30 rankings, here is what they net:

Estevez -- #3 and #15
Ward -- #10 and #18
Rengifo -- #7 and #20 (and a ML ready player)
Anderson -- #4 and #28
Thaiss -- #21

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

Anderson to the Dodgers for Lux and May. 

That would be an interesting trade.  However, the Dodgers have seen Anderson's performance in a six man rotation, my guess is they pass.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

Perry trades Ward, Rengifo, Anderson, Estevez, Garcia, Strickland...and Matt Thaiss. Some are paired together (Ward/Strickland, Rengifo/Garcia), so I won't count them below.

Thaiss, as a LHH backup catcher with 3 more years of control, proves very valuable. 

In terms of our new Top 30 rankings, here is what they net:

Estevez -- #3 and #15
Ward -- #10 and #18
Rengifo -- #7 and #20 (and a ML ready player)
Anderson -- #4 and #28
Thaiss -- #21

Good call on Thaiss, could see that.

I doubt they deal all those guys though, July would have to be a terrible month I think for them to go full fire-sale, and if that happens, it’s unlikely those guys were playing well enough to justify dealing them either.

I think it’ll be Estevez, Garcia and Anderson. Maybe Rengifo.

Edited by totdprods

Well lets get interesting;

I'm gonna try and include two different prospect rankings, MLB and BA as followed. 

Starting off;

1. Padres: Tyler Anderson (plus 5 mil) and Strickland

2.  Cronenworth (plus 10 Mil), Lesko (#3 &#5), Pauley ( #6), Bush Jr ( #8 &#10), Haynes (# 18 &14)

Next on the List:

1. Cubs: Estevez ,Garcia and Drury 

2.  Angels: Ramirez (#12 &# 9),  Murray Jr & Sanders   

I think the rest of the guys will stay.

18 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Well lets get interesting;

I'm gonna try and include two different prospect rankings, MLB and BA as followed. 

Starting off;

1. Padres: Tyler Anderson (plus 5 mil) and Strickland

2.  Cronenworth (plus 10 Mil), Lesko (#3 &#5), Pauley ( #6), Bush Jr ( #8 &#10), Haynes (# 18 &14)

Next on the List:

1. Cubs: Estevez ,Garcia and Drury 

2.  Angels: Ramirez (#12 &# 9),  Murray Jr & Sanders   

I think the rest of the guys will stay.

Why would the Padres make that trade? Anderson wouldn’t start a playoff game for them, and Strickland would be middle relief depth. But they would sacrifice Cronenworth plus lose money, plus throw in some of their best prospects? 

I mean let’s go ahead and offer up Anthony Rendon for Tatis.

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Why would the Padres make that trade? Anderson wouldn’t start a playoff game for them, and Strickland would be middle relief depth. But they would sacrifice Cronenworth plus lose money, plus throw in some of their best prospects? 

I mean let’s go ahead and offer up Anthony Rendon for Tatis.

I have to disagree with that take. I think they still need an extra starter, and Anderson would be a solid get. There's uncertainty with Musgrove, and Darvish just went on the restricted list. Plus, with his age and getting hurt the last few years, it's a concern. Cease is solid, and Waldron and Kiong have been good, but they haven't been full-time starters and might start tiring towards the end of the year.

Why would Anderson make sense for them? For one, he'll eat innings, likely getting to that 160-180 range. He's been a solid 2/3 this year and would fit perfectly in their rotation. Plus, his contract works out well. Adding Strickland gives them another middle reliever. They're pretty much set in the back end, and some middle-inning help could really make a difference.

I know the advanced stats suggest that Anderson will regress, but he hasn't. He's one of those pitchers who consistently outperforms those numbers.Thus, let's not underestimate what Anderson has accomplished so far.

Let's start with Cronenworth. Yes, he's a good player—not an all-star, but solid. However, he's on a big contract with the Padres, which is an issue given their other large contracts. For us, though, he could work out. He's a negative value player due to that contract, and we've already seen the ownership trying to reduce payroll in the off-season. Taking on about 90% of that contract would open up the doors for them to spend more money on Cease or another starter in 2026

Now why would the padres give that  much of big pieces? 

Now for us, taking on most of Cronenworth's contract and eating Anderson's contract will help increase the trade value. Lesko is a big trade piece, but his value has dipped a bit this year, though his ceiling remains solid. He's actually the only top 100 prospect in this trade, typically ranking in the 80-100 range in most rankings. he has big upside, but also has big risk. 

Pauley's biggest knock has been his lack of defense, which has reduced his value, and he's struggled a bit this year in the minors. In acquiring him, we're banking on his offensive upside. His upside  similar to Ward this year but with less power. He's not going to be a star but could be an above-average offensive player with average defense, mostly in the outfield.

Next up are Bush and Haynes. Both could be considered wildcards. Currently, Bush is viewed as a fourth outfielder due to his lack of power, while Haynes is seen as a potential 4/5 starter or bullpen arm due to his lack of control.

In reality if we look at the trade values we are acquiring:

1. Lesko--> bottom half of the top 100, #2/#3 Upside....down year, and actually 2 down years. Upside is a 4 war starter, or late inning closer. 

2. Pauley---> Upside is ab Above-average offenisve player, with average defense---? 1.5 to 3 War player.

3. Bush--> 4th of, unless the power develops.

5. Haynes--> back-end starter, nothing over powering at the moment, 21 year old with a over a 5% BB rate 

Plus look at the Padres trade history, they have been know to overpay for guys, and they are in a division with the dodgers, and in a league with the brewers, Phils...etc and there window might be closing...so might go in. 

On 7/8/2024 at 5:54 PM, Second Base said:

Post yours here. 

1. Angels trade OF Taylor Ward to the Atlanta Braves for RHP AJ Smith-Shawver (#67 Prospect on MLB.com)

2. Angels trade LHP Tyler Anderson to the Milwaukee Brewers for 3B prospect Eric Bitonti and RHP prospect Bradley Blalock.

3. Angels trade RHP Carlos Estevez and RHP Luis Garcia to the San Diego Padres for UT prospect Graham Pauley

4. Angels trade UT Luis Rengifo to the Cleveland Guardians for 1B prospect Ralphy Velazquez and LHP prospect Joey Cantillo. 

5. Angels trade UT Brandon Drury (plus cash) and RHP Hunter Strickland to the Kansas City Royals for OF prospect Gavin Cross. 

Going off the initial version of this and trying not to do complicated three team trades.

1. Angels trade OF Taylor Ward to the Pittsburgh Pirates for one of RHP Ashcraft / RHP Harrington / LHP Solometo  and one of SS Jebb / SS Cheng / 3B Brannigan plus Pittsburgh's 2025 round A competitive balance pick.

2. Angels trade Tyler Anderson, Luis Rengifo, and Hunter Strickland to the Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP River Ryan, RHP Payton Martin, and 3B Jake Gelof.

3. Angels trade Carlos Estevez, Kevin Pillar and Jo Adell to the Royals for RHP Mason Barnett and OF Gavin Cross.

4. Angels trade Brandon Drury and Luis Garcia plus Cash to the Padres for INF Graham Pauly.

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Going off the initial version of this and trying not to do complicated three team trades.

1. Angels trade OF Taylor Ward to the Pittsburgh Pirates for one of RHP Ashcraft / RHP Harrington / LHP Solometo  and one of SS Jebb / SS Cheng / 3B Brannigan plus Pittsburgh's 2025 round A competitive balance pick.

2. Angels trade Tyler Anderson, Luis Rengifo, and Hunter Strickland to the Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP River Ryan, RHP Payton Martin, and 3B Jake Gelof.

3. Angels trade Carlos Estevez, Kevin Pillar and Jo Adell to the Royals for RHP Mason Barnett and OF Gavin Cross.

4. Angels trade Brandon Drury and Luis Garcia plus Cash to the Padres for INF Graham Pauly.

I’d be shocked if they moved that many guys, tbh.

Think the Drury and Garcia to Pads deal makes a ton of sense. Familiar with those guys already. Pauley would be a fantastic get for those two, and would make it easier to deal Rengifo either this year or next.

Still think they keep Strickland to be a vet mentor. Even though he’s righted the ship of late, not sure whatever prospect we’re offered for him would be worth losing some vet presence around Joyce and other kids in the pen. Actually could see Carson Fulmer getting some sneaky interest. The fact that he has a few years or control and multi-inning utility, plus one-time prospect pedigree, could make him enticing to a team like, say, Milwaukee or LAD that has a knack for getting a lot of pitching and interest in finding value.

Ward’s price tag should be one of Harrington/Ashcraft, Burrows, and then one of Jebb/Williams, IMO. The return should be a legit SP prospect, a project arm like Burrows or similar lotto-ticket prospect, and then a fairly safe albeit unexciting guy like Williams who is probably a solid UT IF or a potential regular like Webb with steady yet unremarkable upside. That should be the min.

Bold predictions: if angels make a deal with dodgers (Ward, Anderson, Canning), Jake Gelof will be one of the prospects coming to Angels.

Rengifo and Strickland stay. 

One other prediction: Estevez and Moore traded to Royals for their #19 prospect 3bman Trevor Werner, #20 prospect LHP Noah Cameron and #28 prospect LHP Tyson Guerrero

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Unless Ward heats up by the trade deadline, I would be surprised to see him traded. I fully expect Anderson and Estevez to be traded, but Rengifo, Ward, and Drury will likely stay

If the rumored package from the Pirates is basically what they could get for him, I'd keep him.  Maybe he is better in the second half and you could deal him in the offseason or at the deadline next year. 

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

If the rumored package from the Pirates is basically what they could get for him, I'd keep him.  Maybe he is better in the second half and you could deal him in the offseason or at the deadline next year. 

Ward is what he is. Over the course of a season, he will have 3 month long slumps, 2 mediocre months, and one really good month.