• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

admit it, you're ever so slightly concerned

Burnett threw a bullpen yesterday and will throw another one tomorrow, and is then supposed to get into games later this week.

I don't think there's any reason to expect him to miss real games at this point.

Good to know about Burnett. I must have heard wrong about him. Thought I heard that he was going to miss at least a month of the season.

Have there been any updates on Madson? Is he definitely out all of April?

I'm not worried at all about our current spring record.  The guys that matter have been ok.  Williams concerns me a bit as does the overall quality of the pen but not because of spring.  I was hoping that a couple guys of Cordero, Maronde, Cabrera, Kobayashi, Braiser, Carpenter, Buckner, or Sisk could catch lighting in a bottle and emerge as a couple serviceable guys and nothing is set in stone as of yet, but it appears they are all what we thought they were.  

My new sleeper is Mike Piazza.  

I'm not worried at all about our current spring record.  The guys that matter have been ok.  Williams concerns me a bit as does the overall quality of the pen but not because of spring.  I was hoping that a couple guys of Cordero, Maronde, Cabrera, Kobayashi, Braiser, Carpenter, Buckner, or Sisk could catch lighting in a bottle and emerge as a couple serviceable guys and nothing is set in stone as of yet, but it appears they are all what we thought they were.  

My new sleeper is Mike Piazza.  

It's tough to find sleepers when Butcher is your pitching coach. The A's are able to find gems because their pitching coach is actually good.

I am not concerned at all.  Really the only games that give any sort of indication of how the team is doing are the ones the week before the season starts.  Even then it is a crap shoot.  I will start to worry the beginning of May of they have another poor April.

I am always amused by the layperson that thinks they can judge the quality of instruction given by a major league coach.

Best evidence of Butcher's instruction quality is Fernando Rodney, who comlained of Butcher attempting to change his pitching mechanics as the cause of his poor performance. Then he went to Tampa Bay, coaches found him a new position on the rubber, and he pitched arguably the best season ever for a reliever.

I completely expect a similar transformation from Walden.  

I thought all this BS would stop after we won a game?

our best lineup thrown out there to date, against a Dodgers split squad.

Best evidence of Butcher's instruction quality is Fernando Rodney, who comlained of Butcher attempting to change his pitching mechanics as the cause of his poor performance. Then he went to Tampa Bay, coaches found him a new position on the rubber, and he pitched arguably the best season ever for a reliever.

I completely expect a similar transformation from Walden.  

our best lineup thrown out there to date, against a Dodgers split squad.

and Rodney had pitched for several pitching coaches over his career with the same kind of results. And I'm sorry but a slight position change on the rubber does not have a transforming result to turn an career inconsistent performer into an all star closer. What happened with Rodney had nothing to do with Butcher's alleged lack of coaching abilities.

Rodney being a bad pitcher who  convinced GMs he wasn't because he threw hard and racked up saves was the cause of Rodney being a bad pitcher here.

Obvouisly Rodney and Tampa's coaching staff figured something out last year, but blaming Butcher for his lack of success here is pretty dumb of Fernando. Not that I expect any different from him.

(And really, I'm not especially fond of Butcher either)

"Ever so slightly concerned" is the wrong term.

Resigned is the correct one.

After watching the holes that the Angels had last year not being filled during the off-season, coupled with the pathetic performance the Angels have given this spring training (I'm not talking about the W/L record, but rather the performances so far of the supposed starters, coupled with the idea that it's really only the first through fourth innings that indicate the true strength of the major league squad) this team looks like it's only goal is to earn the gate by the acquisition of Josh Hamilton and the continuing admiration of one Albert Pujols.

A playoff birth is not in the Angels cards except for a single game WC playoff and maybe an ALDS appearance.  This team is not designed to get to the playoffs, but rather to get to the payoffs (gate receipts).

The fact that the Angels have only a 3 man rotation as well as a noticeable dropoff in talent as soon as they need to call up starting pitchers from the Minor League system if need be is not just disconcerting, it's short sighted.

Look, I love the Angels and really, REALLY want them to succeed, however, I do not see anything in this current roster that screams World Series contender.

Believe me, more than anyone that is going to slam me for saying so, I hope that I am wrong in my assessment.  I think this team is closer to a 30 to 1 shot at winning it all all than they are at their current odds.

I'm not really worried about the team that's going to take the field to begin 2013 based on a handful of ST games.

I am worried about what happens if an important pitcher or two(especially in the rotation) gets hurt, because our pitching depth is ass.

But I've had that concern for a few months now.

Your concern is likely why those guys are getting so much pitching time right now.   They seem to have acted quickly on Kobayashi and Geltz.  They seem to trying to get as good a look at as possible particularly given the extended ST this year.