• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

You see this trend all over the place in all sports. The mid tier veterans are being squeezed out by younger, cheaper prospects. The few elite stars remain, both for production and drawing power. And it's entirely because of the financial structures. Whether with salary caps, draft pick losses/fines, budgetary parameters of each team. 

But depending on how much of a contender a team is they may break discipline and add more veterans for a  short term push. And that's when the selling teams need to be at their most persuasive. Recency bias plays in, so potential trade bait guys have to be healthy and playing decently just before a prospective trade. 

Anderson, Ward and Rengifo are currently productive. If they can sustain it then they may attract a solid offer each. Trading all of them would be radical. The polar opposites of last year's deadline moves. And it would literally turn the Angels into a near minor league team the rest of this season. 

I expect maybe one of those three to be traded and maybe some other more minor deals. Admitting a full out rebuild doesn't seem to be what Arte ever wants to admit. 

16 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I know we're going to be in sell-mode, but I would consider looking at both Kopech and Jimmenz of the white-sox if there price is low and right. 

Take a shot on Kopech and see if you can figure some stuff out either as a BP arm or try him in a starter rolee.

Same with Jimenez as DH/ 

Why would you bother with either?  Kopech only has one year of control left after this year.  And Eloy Jimenez is owed either $35M over the next two years, or $6M in buyouts.  I don't see how either would help the Angels in any way.

We've already seen enough of most of the bullpen, so as many as possible of those guys need to be sent out.  

They can be replaced with Joyce, Darrell-Hicks, Erla, Langford, and Mederos.  

I'd keep Moore around to mentor all of them, mostly because he's the only guy who is pitching like he wants to be here. 

6 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

We've already seen enough of most of the bullpen, so as many as possible of those guys need to be sent out.  

They can be replaced with Joyce, Darrell-Hicks, Erla, Langford, and Mederos.  

I'd keep Moore around to mentor all of them, mostly because he's the only guy who is pitching like he wants to be here. 

It was just Cimber and Suarez last night. Garcia, Strickland and recently Contreras have pitched well. I do not understand why Suarez is still on.

Man, i really wanted to believe in Minasian and that we would be building our own Atlanta farm system/team here in the OC.  Maybe he sucks....maybe it's an Arte thing and too much to overcome.  IDK.  but it's not looking good at all.  What a bummer.  I should be used to it by now.  Fool me once, fool me twice...   

17 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Man, i really wanted to believe in Minasian and that we would be building our own Atlanta farm system/team here in the OC.  Maybe he sucks....maybe it's an Arte thing and too much to overcome.  IDK.  but it's not looking good at all.  What a bummer.  I should be used to it by now.  Fool me once, fool me twice...   

We all pretty much do this with every GM hire. 

Heck, we do it with the manager too. 

and many of our FA signings as well. 

One day we will make the right moves......one day.......

This isn't directly tied to the trade deadline, but it's somewhat related...I've just been looking at who'll be newly eligible for the Rule 5 draft next year, meaning the Angels would need to protect them on the 40-man or risk losing them. 

In terms of newly eligible Rule 5'ers, I believe it would be high schoolers from the 2020 draft and then any junior college or 4-year college draftees/non-drafted signees from 2021.  So that would be:

David Calabrese

Werner Blakely

Luke Murphy

Brett Kerry

Jake Smith

Ryan Costieu

Nick Jones

Mo Hanley

Eric Torres

Glenn Albanese

Mason Erla

Nick Mondak

If I'm the Angels, I clear out all of Estevez, Strickland, Moore, Garcia, Cimber, and Cisnero by the trade deadline, either by trading or DFA'ing them.  Bring up Joyce and Zuniga (both of whom are already on the 40-man), add Murphy, Nick Jones, and Eric Torres to the 40-man and call them up.  I'd consider Erla, too, but I still think he ultimately won't amount to much, so I wouldn't worry about losing him even if someone did claim him in the Rule 5 draft.  Torres is probably a fringe-y 40-man guy, but I don't see the harm in adding him after the trade deadline and giving him a little bit of MLB experience just to see if he can hack it.  If not, DFA him and risk losing him, just like you would in the Rule 5 draft, anyway.

Of the remaining guys, maybe they give 40-man slots in the off-season to Calabrese, just due to the utter lack of OF depth in the system, even though he hasn't hit at all since they drafted him?  Kerry and Costieu could get spots, too, I guess, depending on other moves they might make.

31 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

This isn't directly tied to the trade deadline, but it's somewhat related...I've just been looking at who'll be newly eligible for the Rule 5 draft next year, meaning the Angels would need to protect them on the 40-man or risk losing them. 

In terms of newly eligible Rule 5'ers, I believe it would be high schoolers from the 2020 draft and then any junior college or 4-year college draftees/non-drafted signees from 2021.  So that would be:

David Calabrese

Werner Blakely

Luke Murphy

Brett Kerry

Jake Smith

Ryan Costieu

Nick Jones

Mo Hanley

Eric Torres

Glenn Albanese

Mason Erla

Nick Mondak

If I'm the Angels, I clear out all of Estevez, Strickland, Moore, Garcia, Cimber, and Cisnero by the trade deadline, either by trading or DFA'ing them.  Bring up Joyce and Zuniga (both of whom are already on the 40-man), add Murphy, Nick Jones, and Eric Torres to the 40-man and call them up.  I'd consider Erla, too, but I still think he ultimately won't amount to much, so I wouldn't worry about losing him even if someone did claim him in the Rule 5 draft.  Torres is probably a fringe-y 40-man guy, but I don't see the harm in adding him after the trade deadline and giving him a little bit of MLB experience just to see if he can hack it.  If not, DFA him and risk losing him, just like you would in the Rule 5 draft, anyway.

Of the remaining guys, maybe they give 40-man slots in the off-season to Calabrese, just due to the utter lack of OF depth in the system, even though he hasn't hit at all since they drafted him?  Kerry and Costieu could get spots, too, I guess, depending on other moves they might make.

Keep in mind too that we’ll also see a few new guys added to this mix once they do deal people away. 

Unrelated - one thing that irks me is Perry’s contract is up at end of year (as far as we know) but Ron is still here next year. I wish our next GM would have a clean slate when they come in to truly have a total overhaul, to the point where I’m wondering if keeping Perry an extra year is worth it just to have those contracts end at the same time and to keep things cohesive. Wild card in all this is if Arte sells. If Perry pulls off a good draft and deadline sale, and the few kids we have in the bigs and in the minors are doing okay, does it earn him a one-year extension or option picked up, just to see if he and Ron working together for more than one rebuilding year actually do have something cooking?

Posted (edited)

Baltimore will be without John Means or Tyler Wells for the rest of the season. Kremer and Rodriguez have both missed some time too. They’re absolutely in win-now with Burnes this year.

Perry should be pushing Sandoval, Canning or Detmers to them (throw in a reliever) and trying like hell to get any of their young bats back. 

Elias was the scouting director and head of minor league development for Houston when they drafted Sandoval and up until his trade to the Halos, FWIW.

Edited by totdprods

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Keep in mind too that we’ll also see a few new guys added to this mix once they do deal people away.

Yes, I know, but at this point, obviously we can only speculate about the guys who are currently in the Angels system.

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Baltimore will be without John Means or Tyler Wells for the rest of the season. Kremer and Rodriguez have both missed some time too. They’re absolutely in win-now with Burnes this year.

Perry should be pushing Sandoval, Canning or Detmers to them (throw in a reliever) and trying like hell to get any of their young bats back. 

Elias was the scouting director and head of minor league development for Houston when they drafted Sandoval and up until his trade to the Halos, FWIW.

They may want Anderson more than any of those guys. Maybe Canning. 

Then again it all comes down to who the other teams like. I would hope to god Baltimore is one of the teams that was looking at Canning.

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sandoval has to pitch much more often like last night’s version and the 5 starts prior to the sucky start about 10 days ago.   Then with control through 2026, he becomes coveted in July.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sandoval has to pitch much more often like last night’s version and the 5 starts prior to the sucky start about 10 days ago.   Then with control through 2026, he becomes coveted in July.

I think more than a few clubs will see someone like Sandoval and think they can unlock the next gear on him. I still think a big part of his problem is that he came up on an Angels teams where he put a ton of pressure on himself to produce, at times as an ace, and at times was expected to do that as well. And truth is that’s just not him. 

But I could see a fresh start and blank slate being freeing for him from those expectations and pressures. I think he needs a change of scenery and I think there are a couple teams out there who see that too, and will pay a decent price.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think more than a few clubs will see someone like Sandoval and think they can unlock the next gear on him. I still think a big part of his problem is that he came up on an Angels teams where he put a ton of pressure on himself to produce, at times as an ace, and at times was expected to do that as well. And truth is that’s just not him. 

But I could see a fresh start and blank slate being freeing for him from those expectations and pressures. I think he needs a change of scenery and I think there are a couple teams out there who see that too, and will pay a decent price.

Is he just one of those guys who can’t handle pitching where he grew up?

Career road ERA is a lot better than here.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is he just one of those guys who can’t handle pitching where he grew up?

Career road ERA is a lot better than here.

There's really not much of a difference: 4.19 at home, 3.82 on the road.  From a raw numbers standpoint, he's pitched remarkably similarly at home and on the road: 1.386 WHIP at home, 1.383 on the road. The difference in ERA really comes down to him giving up a few more UNearned runs on the road, which is probably just noise/dumb luck.

19 hours ago, totdprods said:

Taylor Ward, Tyler Anderson & Patrick Sandoval for Heston Kjerstad, Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Taylor Ward, Tyler Anderson & Patrick Sandoval for Heston Kjerstad, Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich. 

Ehhh don’t want to use those many bullets in one deal, nor do I think Baltimore would part with that much talent for that trio, but yeah that’s a sweet deal.

IMG_9163.jpeg

Edited by totdprods