Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

     

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread


Recommended Posts

Any rumors or fan trade proposals go here. 

I believe the Angels should trade Taylor Ward, Tyler Anderson, Brandon Drury, Carlos Estevez, Matt Moore, Patrick Sandoval and maybe even Griffin Canning ahead of the trade deadline.

I mentioned Taylor Ward & Tyler Anderson on our podcast last night, I think if the returns are good on those guys you have to move them. Add Griffin Canning to that list as well. 

Here's the first rumor that I've seen surrounding Ward's name to Atlanta. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Chuck changed the title to The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

I would love if the Angels could sell high on a reliever like Strickland right now and open up a spot for Ben Joyce.

But usually, teams wait another month or so to make trades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Braves farm kinda sucks and I don't like what Perry's deals with the Braves have returned, so certainly hoping they don't go that route either way.

I'm actually a little more hesitant to deal Ward, Rengifo, Canning or Sandoval right now than I have been in the last year or so. I've been pleased enough with what Adell, Neto, Schanuel, Soriano and O'Hoppe have been doing that I don't want to throw in the towel on 2025 prematurely. I'm not against it at all - just a little early feeling like it's a given.

Edited by totdprods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Braves farm kinda sucks and I don't like what Perry's deals with the Braves have returned, so certainly hoping they don't go that route either way.

I'm actually a little more hesitant to deal Ward, Rengifo, Canning or Sandoval right now than I have been in the last year or so. I've been pleased enough with what Adell, Neto, Schanuel, Soriano and O'Hoppe have been doing that I don't want to throw in the towel on 2025 prematurely. I'm not against it at all - just a little early feeling like it's a given.

Another factor is whether you want Perry to be trading guys with control, considering he might not be the GM next year.

The guys with only 1 year of control left after this season, I’m OK with him trading since they’ll have less value if they don’t get dealt at this deadline.

But for guys with more than 1 year of control beyond this year, I’m less sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Braves farm kinda sucks and I don't like what Perry's deals with the Braves have returned, so certainly hoping they don't go that route either way.

I'm actually a little more hesitant to deal Ward, Rengifo, Canning or Sandoval right now than I have been in the last year or so. I've been pleased enough with what Adell, Neto, Schanuel, Soriano and O'Hoppe have been doing that I don't want to throw in the towel on 2025 prematurely. I'm not against it at all - just a little early feeling like it's a given.

I wouldn't mind getting Spencer Schwellenbach and Nacho Alvarez Jr. for Taylor Ward if in one of the deals for Tyler Anderson you could get back a close LF prospect to plug right in Ward's spot.

I don't think Moniak is worth building around for the future. I'd rather have Teodosio or Adams as the club's 4th OF for defense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you have to listen to offers on Rengifo, too. He would probably bring the best prospect haul back. Also wouldn't be opposed to trying to re-sign Regifo, but they should commit one way or the other by the deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I wouldn't mind getting Spencer Schwellenbach and Nacho Alvarez Jr. for Taylor Ward if in one of the deals for Tyler Anderson you could get back a close LF prospect to plug right in Ward's spot.

I don't think Moniak is worth building around for the future. I'd rather have Teodosio or Adams as the club's 4th OF for defense.  

I wouldn’t give up on Moniak quite yet. He showed enough last year, still is young, hasn’t really had as extended of a look this year and he deserves IMO, and let’s be real, next year is still a rebuilding year. If we were further along or it was May 2025 and he was still playing like this, yeah, easy to move on. But I wouldn’t yet. Worst-case scenario he’s still a glove/speed 4th OF late in game.

I don’t think Tyler Anderson nets the type of prospect we’d want. Not a bad return. But I’m not sure he gets legit prospect return. More like high floor AAA guys and a young MLB player either in need of a change in scenery or with some struggles, actually like Monika but better. 

Kinda hoping Dipoto wants to bring Ward back to him and offers up a young arm like Woo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in another thread, but Anderson, Ward, and Rengifo are our biggest trade assets. They all have cheap control and could fetch us a good return. Of the three, I think Anderson is the most likely to be traded. Given the current market, he could get us a nice return. It's a thin market for starting pitchers, and there aren't many available like Anderson, so his value will be high. I still think the Padres are a perfect match—they're in win-now mode, need pitching, and might be willing to trade for Anderson. Plus, they're only 29-28.

I'm a bit hesitant about trading Ward and Rengifo. If we decide to trade one of them, I think we should hold on to Rengifo. He has more value to the team, is younger, and is a rare switch hitter, which makes him a perfect fit for the 2/3 hole in our lineup. Honestly, I'd offer him a 5-year, $80 million contract after this season.

Regarding Ward (and just as I'm writing this, good to see Glasnow give up a 2-run homer to Lindor!), if the value is right, I'd highly consider trading him. Ideally, we'd want at least two top 100 prospects in return. However, it's uncertain if any team would offer that. I think the Braves might make a move for Pham if needed, and I don't see many teams looking for an outfield bat with that much trade value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Worst-case scenario he’s still a glove/speed 4th OF late in game.

I think we’re seeing the worst-case scenario for Moniak, and he’s not a glove/speed 4th OF.

He’s a 33 wRC+ and -0.7 WAR player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BTH said:

I think we’re seeing the worst-case scenario for Moniak, and he’s not a glove/speed 4th OF.

He’s a 33 wRC+ and -0.7 WAR player.

He’s still showing some decent speed and defense metrics on Savant, and I still don’t think he’s really gotten consistent time this year. I also don’t think he’s blocking anybody at this point, at least no one worth booting him for should he find even a little bit of offense again. Was never really fully bought in to his performance last year - the platoon splits and BB% was just abysmal and his BAbip too high - but I still think he could be a decent .240/.300/.450 guy with 10-15 HRs in a good platoon role, he just hasn’t had the playing time this year or experience in his career to rule that in or out, and the team isn’t going anywhere this year and likely next, so no harm giving him at least the rest of this year to see. 

It seems like he’s been around forever, but last year really was his first ever shot at regular playing time and he responded. Writing him off after 100 something PAs, somewhat sporadic ones at that, seems premature. If we were in the thick of it or had a stud OF prospect waiting, yeah, cut bait, but kid’s still learning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like most teams will wait and see where they are at deadline. Same with halos, do they trade for prospects or try to add this off season. If they are going in direction of adding younger players then trade Rengifo and Ward. Do not need to rush on either player. Off season these players can be traded then. Who knows if Minasian is going to be here after this year. Maybe wait till this winter. Except for Soriano all 4 other starters could be traded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

This is a subscriber exclusive article (I didn't even realize MLB Trade Rumors did that) so I can't see it--but I'm gonna assume they list Ward as a top option, given the picture.  Ha.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long to do that over there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2024 at 4:33 PM, jsnpritchett said:

This is a subscriber exclusive article (I didn't even realize MLB Trade Rumors did that) so I can't see it--but I'm gonna assume they list Ward as a top option, given the picture.  Ha.

Good discussion on a Taylor Ward trade on their podcast. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I am all for trading Ward, but for a good return. Angels should stay away from dealing with the Braves and Yankees, as their farms have dropped down to the same range as the Angels.

Unless the Braves are willing to deal their top two pitching prospects, and the Yankees deal Spencer Jones, but that's doubtful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ward is 30, with 2 2/3 controlled years currently.   The age combined with the controlled years make him a prime guy to trade in July.

Anderson has now put up 1 1/3 excellent seasons in the past 2 1/3 seasons.   Include his entire contract in a deal.   That should net a solid prospect or two in return.

Rengifo is a tough one to determine whether to trade or not.  Has an .899 OPS and 12 SBs in 148 PAs so far following 2 decent/solid seasons, and has 1 2/3 controlled seasons.   There are the mental errors though.  Will those decrease his trade value?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Another thing to think about…let’s say we keep Rengifo and Ward for the next couple years. Sandoval and Canning too. And assume they stay healthy and producing around what they have been, maybe a little better.

Are any of them QO candidates when they hit free agency?

I’m in no way saying they deserve them now, or that a comp pick is better than what we’d get if we traded them now or next year. Just curious if you think any would be on track for a QO when they hit FA, should they maintain or slightly improve what they’ve been doing.

Part of the reason I’m asking is that I do believe MLB is somewhat rapidly transitioning to a league where even just solid college players, not just the best, and even some HS players, are becoming increasingly fast-tracked. I think this is the new way the owners will combat rising salaries. They’re going to “rush” guys compared to what most of us long-timers are used to seeing for a player’s development schedule. We may already be seeing the Angels try to be at the forefront of this approach. Should that continue…maybe having a bunch of comp draft picks in the next 2-3 winters actually will be better than what we get in trade, at least in terms of the team being able to have more power of choice over who they receive, more controlled years, a more aligned timeline…maybe it’s just my conspiracy theory though.

Teams might be increasingly hesitant to deal young talent because of this, even more than before, and that might mean these guys we could deal really don’t get the haul back we’d like, even if they are hot commodities. Also, the Angels also have the sort of payroll to weather someone like Ward or Sandoval accepting a 1/$24m QO. 

This could also be a way they recoup some picks if they sign big name FAs still, as means to avoid the mistake they made signing so many top FAs all those years. 

Edited by totdprods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Another thing to think about…let’s say we keep Rengifo and Ward for the next couple years. Sandoval and Canning too. And assume they stay healthy and producing around what they have been, maybe a little better.

Are any of them QO candidates when they hit free agency?

I’m in no way saying they deserve them now, or that a comp pick is better than what we’d get if we traded them now or next year. Just curious if you think any would be on track for a QO when they hit FA, should they maintain or slightly improve what they’ve been doing.

Part of the reason I’m asking is that I do believe MLB is somewhat rapidly transitioning to a league where even just solid college players, not just the best, and even some HS players, are becoming increasingly fast-tracked. I think this is the new way the owners will combat rising salaries. They’re going to “rush” guys compared to what most of us long-timers are used to seeing for a player’s development schedule. We may already be seeing the Angels try to be at the forefront of this approach. Should that continue…maybe having a bunch of comp draft picks in the next 2-3 winters actually will be better than what we get in trade, at least in terms of the team being able to have more power of choice over who they receive, more controlled years, a more aligned timeline…maybe it’s just my conspiracy theory though.

Teams might be increasingly hesitant to deal young talent because of this, even more than before, and that might mean these guys we could deal really don’t get the haul back we’d like, even if they are hot commodities. Also, the Angels also have the sort of payroll to weather someone like Ward or Sandoval accepting a 1/$24m QO. 

This could also be a way they recoup some picks if they sign big name FAs still, as means to avoid the mistake they made signing so many top FAs all those years. 

I would be surprised if any of the four you mentioned would be real candidates for the qualifying offer, regardless of whether the payroll would have room for someone to accept it.  I am still baffled by why anyone would want to hold on to Canning at this point, regardless.  But, yeah, none of them seem like QO candidates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Another thing to think about…let’s say we keep Rengifo and Ward for the next couple years. Sandoval and Canning too. And assume they stay healthy and producing around what they have been, maybe a little better.

Are any of them QO candidates when they hit free agency?

I’m in no way saying they deserve them now, or that a comp pick is better than what we’d get if we traded them now or next year. Just curious if you think any would be on track for a QO when they hit FA, should they maintain or slightly improve what they’ve been doing.

Part of the reason I’m asking is that I do believe MLB is somewhat rapidly transitioning to a league where even just solid college players, not just the best, and even some HS players, are becoming increasingly fast-tracked. I think this is the new way the owners will combat rising salaries. They’re going to “rush” guys compared to what most of us long-timers are used to seeing for a player’s development schedule. We may already be seeing the Angels try to be at the forefront of this approach. Should that continue…maybe having a bunch of comp draft picks in the next 2-3 winters actually will be better than what we get in trade, at least in terms of the team being able to have more power of choice over who they receive, more controlled years, a more aligned timeline…maybe it’s just my conspiracy theory though.

Teams might be increasingly hesitant to deal young talent because of this, even more than before, and that might mean these guys we could deal really don’t get the haul back we’d like, even if they are hot commodities. Also, the Angels also have the sort of payroll to weather someone like Ward or Sandoval accepting a 1/$24m QO. 

This could also be a way they recoup some picks if they sign big name FAs still, as means to avoid the mistake they made signing so many top FAs all those years. 

Do you think getting rid of one level of the minor leagues has caused teams to  rush some players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Do you think getting rid of one level of the minor leagues has caused teams to  rush some players?

Possibly, but I think more it’s that owners don’t want to pay tens of millions to vets in their 30s. The big names will always get the mega-contracts, but it’s pretty clear the mid-tier has been getting squeezed the last decade with increasing frequency, and role player vets are getting pushed out entirely. 

More than anything I think it’s just owners realizing they can bring younger, cheaper talent up faster and if they perform, great, cheaper to maintain that team, and if not, the team sucks and they just get access to more cheap, young talent. That’s not necessarily new, but I think it’s becoming more prevalent and the players are getting younger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Do you think getting rid of one level of the minor leagues has caused teams to  rush some players?

I don't think it's that.  I think it's what totdprods mentioned in his post: it's primarily a way to control costs.  If you think you can get similar(ish) production from a young guy who's essentially "free" compared to a free agent/veteran who might cost you $10M+, $20M+, etc., at some point, it becomes worth the risk to just take a shot with the younger guy and see what happens.  For example, if I'm the GM and my choice is between paying Griffin Canning $24M or calling up Caden Dana to fill that slot, then Dana is gonna be coming up pretty darn quick.  Of course, it's rarely a one-for-one choice like that, but you get the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't think it's that.  I think it's what totdprods mentioned in his post: it's primarily a way to control costs.  If you think you can get similar(ish) production from a young guy who's essentially "free" compared to a free agent/veteran who might cost you $10M+, $20M+, etc., at some point, it becomes worth the risk to just take a shot with the younger guy and see what happens.  For example, if I'm the GM and my choice is between paying Griffin Canning $24M or calling up Caden Dana to fill that slot, then Dana is gonna be coming up pretty darn quick.  Of course, it's rarely a one-for-one choice like that, but you get the point. 

And as more teams adopt this, the learning curve isn’t so huge for young guys, nor is the lack of minor league development as big of an issue. 

AAA has very much become essentially just a league for fringe 40-man guys and vets clinging on. AA is where the real prospects are, and where many come from when called up the first time. That’s again not necessarily new, but it’s leaned into that way more the last few years and we’re seeing a lot more call-ups from AA, and a lot more prospects making their debut when they’re 20, 21 years old. 

Angels doing same thing in minors. Almost all their best prospects are in leagues where they’re several years younger than the norm. I think this is the way the game is trending. Maybe the Angels are ahead of the curve here for once.

The Braves are a good example of this model too. I think the way they locked up a young core is going to become more of the norm. You’ll see more Jackson Chourio-sized risks from teams too, or like that deal the Tigers signed with that 2B. Again, it’s not new but it wasn’t typical. I think that’s changing.

Edited by totdprods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...