• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to stop PED use overnight

First year contract, guaranteed $500k.  Free agent contract $10's to hundreds of millions.

If you think players won't take that risk.  you are delusional.  Especially those from the Carribean and Central America.  That first year contract pretty much sets them up for life.

First year contract, guaranteed $500k.  Free agent contract $10's to hundreds of millions.

If you think players won't take that risk.  you are delusional.  Especially those from the Carribean and Central America.  That first year contract pretty much sets them up for life.

This. These guys come into the league juiced to the gills, make their millions, get caught and go back home.

I think a different route would be considerably more effective.  Instead of just punishing the player, punish the team as well.  

First offense: Player is suspended for 50 games, team is fined 3 million dollars and submits to mandatory drug testing of the offending player once a week for the remainder of his career. 

Second offense: Player is suspended 100 games, team is fined 6 million dollars and the player may not participate in a playoff game ever again.

Third offense: Player is suspended for life, team is fined 12 million dollars and forfeits it's first round pick the following year.  

Teams would start drug testing their own players and policing themselves before the MLB ever found out.  It's doubtful you'd ever see anyone pop positive again. 

In the scenarios which involved teams getting punished (forfeiting games, losing draft picks etc) you could make it possible for players blackmail the teams by threatening to "get caught" for PEDs unless renewed for more guaranteed money. 

Punishing those other than the player is a joke. Fining the team won't prevent anything. You think ARod will think twice because the Yanks will get fined? That might act as motivation for him to take roids.

Teammates of a roid user also should not be held accountable. They are already getting screwed by the roiders on the field and in the pocket book. Plus this won't prevent anyone from using roids.

The player needs to solely be held accountable. A ban will only effect those that have a career ahead of them. An aging player that is facing an end to their career will take the roids to prolong fame. They would be gone from the game without the PED's, so you might as well take them. Instead their reputation needs to be hit. Past accomplishments need to be compromised. Take away any awards, stats, WS recognitions, Pensions, HOF eligibility, etc.

I already know having teams policing themselves would never fly.  I was just saying that in a more perfect world, this would be policy that is implemented on top of what MLB is already doing.  

I also LOVE Mancini's idea.  for veterans that wouldn't be playing otherwise, strip players of their awards, HOF eligibility, pensions, everything. 

I don't think anyone doubts right now whether or not Bartolo Colon is using some sort of PED.  Whether it's detectable or not, I'm pretty sure that man is cheating his way into helping the A's make the playoffs.  Without some sort of new pitch development, players don't suddenly go from having their career end to posting career bests in their late 30's.  Dickey did it with the knuckleball and I'll give him that.  But Colon, there's nothing new there.  He's just cheating. 

I think a different route would be considerably more effective.  Instead of just punishing the player, punish the team as well.  

First offense: Player is suspended for 50 games, team is fined 3 million dollars and submits to mandatory drug testing of the offending player once a week for the remainder of his career. 

Second offense: Player is suspended 100 games, team is fined 6 million dollars and the player may not participate in a playoff game ever again.

Third offense: Player is suspended for life, team is fined 12 million dollars and forfeits it's first round pick the following year.  

Teams would start drug testing their own players and policing themselves before the MLB ever found out.  It's doubtful you'd ever see anyone pop positive again. 

So give the reason for teams to cover up so they don't get fined.  Check.  Unless you really believe no Red Sox has ever used PED's.

its interesting how these guys have the great option year, fall off markedly in the year after signing and then have all kinds of hip and tendon injurys in the following years. you would think the gm's and thier medical staffs would smarten up.

So give the reason for teams to cover up so they don't get fined.  Check.  Unless you really believe no Red Sox has ever used PED's.

First sentence spot on. Second sentence, give me a break. When testing began in 2000's over 5% of players in MLB tested positive. That was when the testing was literally a joke, even more so than now. 

Please stop pretending like only Yankees, Red Sox and the A's had people who used some kind of PED's. It spans ALL across baseball. No matter what team they play for, or what age they are the players have to be held accountable period. 

Did anyone else actually read the Mitchell report? That thing is hundreds of pages long describe vivid accounts of players being caught with PED's. Not just potentially failed tests, but actual proof. 

The simplest albeit the harder solution to this would be the removal of money and statistics. If it were possible to have almost no guaranteed money as in football when you do fail a test the solution is to cut all ties. Then all statistics go out the window. You take away the two things most players want. Fame and money.

Not that the MLBPA would allow that to happen, but that would curb the habit. 

It is true that Bonds, Sosa and all of them did bring baseball back to life after the strike. This is why I don't think baseball would even try to get this serious about PED's. They don't want to risk another strike.

Juiced up monsters (Bonds/McGwire/Sosa) single-handedly brought MLB back from the dead because the game was getting "boring" according to most fans. MLB knows it.  

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. Basically you're saying a majority of fans would not even be on this site if it wasn't for those 3, and that's BS. 

Fan_Since79:

Refreshing to have a fan of the game hold a stance practically along the lines of "no-tolerance." Gotta be honest, I feel the same way. 

Look at Manny. Give an inch of lax after they break the rules, they do the time, then sign multi-million dollar contrack before they come back and break the rules again. They "retire" for fun to cut down on 100 game suspensions, then come back AGAIN because they're still not banned. 3 years suspension keeps them from dancing around "retirement" and whatever number of games they can't play, and gives them some real time to think about what they've done. I have no problem with that.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. Basically you're saying a majority of fans would not even be on this site if it wasn't for those 3, and that's BS. 

Fan_Since79:

Refreshing to have a fan of the game hold a stance practically along the lines of "no-tolerance." Gotta be honest, I feel the same way. 

Look at Manny. Give an inch of lax after they break the rules, they do the time, then sign multi-million dollar contrack before they come back and break the rules again. They "retire" for fun to cut down on 100 game suspensions, then come back AGAIN because they're still not banned. 3 years suspension keeps them from dancing around "retirement" and whatever number of games they can't play, and gives them some real time to think about what they've done. I have no problem with that.

You have to question the teams that pick up these players as well. I mean seriously he messed up how many times and he is still around. Lord help us.

I agree with the idea behind the opening statement. The team that signed the player should at least lose their top draft pick.

Teams should not be allowed to get away with this stuff.

The biggest problem I have, is that guys like Bartolo still has gains from his last PED use.

50 games is not enough to erase whatever effect the drug he took had on his body. He's still benefiting from it.