• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Turning It Off … For The Team

keep-calm-and-take-one-for-the-team.png

By Glen McKee, AngelsWin.com Columnist 

You owe the rest of the season to me!  Or, more specifically, my girlfriend Vanessa.  Let me explain... 

Seasons can turn on a single game.  That doesn’t mean that there won’t be more valleys in the season or even that the Angels will make the playoffs, but after a game like the one on Saturday, you can’t say the team doesn’t have heart or it can’t fight back.  Yes, the game a few days before against the Cardinals was almost as impressive.  But this game, against the hated Red Sox, after the Angels looked so dead in the water – it feels damn good right now.  And you owe that to me and my girlfriend. 

It was a good Saturday before I turned the game on.  I’d taken my daughter to see “Despicable Me 2” and it was better than I expected, much better.  After that I’d spent most of the evening at my dad’s place, doing some Neil Diamond karaoke and watching Anderson Silva give up his UFC belt in the most appropriate fashion.  On the way home I checked the score: 6-3 Boston.  I listened to the game for the rest of the drive and it was 7-3 when I pulled in.

My daughter and girlfriend overrode me on what to watch when we got home; “Dodgeball” beat out the Angels game.  I, of course, had to watch on the computer.  I was in time to see the bottom of the 9th inning unfolding and not quite believing what was happening.  As the movie went to commercial I had a chance to switch to the Angels game, just in time for Trumbo’s at-bat.

Vanessa warned me not to watch.  â€œBad things happen when you do,” she said. 

I ignored her warning.  I switched to the game.  Trumbo looked horrible, striking out on three pitches with the winning run on 3B, to end the inning.  I switched back to the movie.  Vanessa didn’t have to say “I told you so.”  It hung in the air like gas after a broccoli feast.

“It happens because you have such negative energy, you expect them to lose” she said.  That’s true to some extent but not completely.  I tell myself I expected Trumbo to come through, but did I really?  â€œJust let it go.  You need to stop watching.”  Perhaps she was right. 

I watched the 10th inning on my computer while waiting for Lance Armstrong’s cameo on “Dodgeball” (it came a few minutes after the win).   I “saw” Aybar’s error on gameday and groaned to myself, suddenly realizing the game was indeed over and Boston was gonna win.  I turned my attention to the movie.  Pepper Fox was talking about a bold strategy and wondering if it would pay off.

And then…Josh Hamilton came through like a mofo.  For the second time in a few days, no less.  I switched to the game in time to see the postgame interview with Hamilton and hear him being humble and funny, and for one of the first times this season I truly appreciated having him on the team.  And I felt like this season might still have some life left.

All because I didn’t watch the game.  And because Vanessa told me to, of course.

It was a bold strategy, Cotton.  I can’t wait to see how it pays off for the rest of the year.  I’ll still watch, but sometimes – for the team and for the fans – I’ll turn it off.
X5r4dB3WkiU

View the full article

Interesting, I thought they won because I went to bed at 9:00 and turned it off. Anyways, it is nice to see Hamilton contributing as was expected with his contract. Now if we can just get Pujols on board.

I'm willing to concede that it may have been the karma from both of us that did the trick.

I turned off the game in the top of the 9th inning last night. Went to bed not knowing what was going on. When I got up this morning and looked at the box scores I thought my eyes were deceiving me and had to take another couple of looks. Couldn't believe I missed all of the excitement.

I checked in on the game two or three times during the evening. The score was always the same, 5-2 Boston. I turned it back on in the bottom of the ninth with Callaspo on first and nobody out and the Angels trailing 7-3. I decided to hang around and watch the last three outs. It took a while for those to come. When Kendrick hit the ground ball with two out, I figured that at least we gave them a finish. Then the wild throw. When Trout struck out to lead off the 11th, I decided to watch the rest of the half inning, then go to bed regardless of what happened. Thanks, Josh.

I was watching the game with my girl who was ready to go to bed...the score was 7-3 with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, I said let's just wait 2 more outs, fully expecting the halos to make 2 quick outs and I'd get some sleep.  Sure enough she had fallen asleep on the couch by time Howie was up and I woke her from her slumber with a loud yell on the error. Watched the rest of the game in bed.  So happy I didn't just turn the game off down 7-3 with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th.