• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Obama touts voter registration

What is hard about registering to vote? It is about as easy as signing up for Bed Bath and Beyond coupons.

...for you, so of course that must be the case for everybody.  Amirite?  

Edit: I was getting a few issues confused here.  Voter registration is indeed easy.  Voter ID, which is part of the Kenya plan, is more complicated.

Good thing I am not going to cast votes in Kenya. Meanwhile here in the US it is pretty damn easy unless you are too lazy or stupid to follow the simple guidlines.

This is a fact as well so we should be more accomodating.

Again...since it's easy for you it must be for everybody else, right?  Getting an ID should be a piece of cake.  Shouldn't it?  And if it isn't, shouldn't we make it easier so we can eliminate or greatly reduce voter fraud?

Actually making an ID easier to get (not sure how you can do that, it is already pretty simple) would make wholesale voter fraud a lot more prevelant with a bunch of phony voters casting multiple ballots under either other people's ID or people who don't exist.

How convenient.  We need voter ID but we don't need to make it convenient to get said ID.  Which amounts to a poll tax.  

All in the name of preventing the type of voter fraud they can't even prove happens enough to be a significant problem.  

I will always regret not voting twice with my fake California Driver's License back in the day....I only got it to get into bars before I was 21. What a waste!

My roommate and I had the same name on our licenses, so we just went into the bar at different times...not that it would have mattered.

It was the 70's..you could do anything you wanted most of the time.

How convenient.  We need voter ID but we don't need to make it convenient to get said ID.  Which amounts to a poll tax.  

All in the name of preventing the type of voter fraud they can't even prove happens enough to be a significant problem.  

Glen, what is so hard about getting an ID?

Why should we not require even the most basic proof that you are who you say you are at the polls to prevent voter fraud?

Glen, what is so hard about getting an ID?

Why should we not require even the most basic proof that you are who you say you are at the polls to prevent voter fraud?

We've been over this before.  Most of the working poor work the same hours that the DMV (usually where you get photo ID) are open.  That means they'd have to take time off work, without pay, to get it.  Losing any pay can be tough on people who don't make much.  Sometimes they don't have the required paperwork (for various reasons) which means jumping through some hoops to get the ID.  Add to this that many DMV offices are cutting hours or even being closed one day per working week, and in quite a few cases it isn't just a simple task. 

As I've said before, I have no problem with voter ID if you're not also doing those things - closing DMV offices or cutting hours, and doing things that otherwise make it more difficult to get the ID - to makes that ID more of a chore.  I don't think it's a coincidence that these things tend to happen in poorer areas where people tend to vote more democratic. 

Glen, the DMV shorter hours does not preclude the ability to get a photo ID.

• Driver license or state-issued ID card
  • Passport
  • Employee ID card
  • Credit or debit card
  • Military ID
  • Student ID

All of these pass for the voting booth. So if a citizen can't find the time over the next 3 years to obtain one of these means of identification for the next presidential election, are they really fulfilling their role as a citizen? Or they just lazy excuse making whiners that want everyone to bend over backwards for them?

Sounds like you are for the excuse making whiners.

- I've mentioned how getting an ID from the DMV can present problems

- A passport is more difficult to get than a photo ID from a DMV

- How many employers issue employee ID cards? 

- Many people don't have credit cards, military ID, or student ID

So, you get to define what "fulfilling their role as a citizen" is?  Interesting.  And then, off with the name-calling.  If they can't do it they must be lazy or bad citizens or unpatriotic or something, and therefore they don't deserve to vote. 

Give everyone 10 days to get to the polls?

With early voting, in Nevada we have that already - or more. I voted at least a week in advance of the 2012 election. Some of the locations are fixed (at the major shopping malls, for example) while others move every day or two to catch neighborhood grocery stores and such.

- I've mentioned how getting an ID from the DMV can present problems

- A passport is more difficult to get than a photo ID from a DMV

- How many employers issue employee ID cards? 

- Many people don't have credit cards, military ID, or student ID

So, you get to define what "fulfilling their role as a citizen" is?  Interesting.  And then, off with the name-calling.  If they can't do it they must be lazy or bad citizens or unpatriotic or something, and therefore they don't deserve to vote. 

I am not defining it, the Federal government is. So if you can't find the time to do the single requirement to provide a valid ID then you are not fulfilling your part of the contract to participate in the voting process.